The format changed!! Argh!!!! Can I change it back??!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I don’t believe it!!  MS changed the look and feel of it’s C# General discussion forum!!  A couple weeks ago they changed the look and feel of it’s MS Office pages.  I frequent Excel Programming and MS Access Programming discussion forums.  I like to read these during the day, if I have time in the office.  Also, I’ll read them at night, on my home PC.  I loved the way that I could read multiple discussions, and I could always tell which ones I have read by the non-bold links (bold hyperlinks indicate that I had not yet clicked on the link).  It was really nice, because everything was handled on the server.  So, I could read discussions at work, and go home, do some more reading on a different computer, and see which links I have read, or not read.  When I’m back in the office, I could see which links I have read on my home PC.  The whole point is that, no matter where I logged in, I would double-read a discussion.  I could tell that I have already read a non-bold hyperlink.  Now, with this new format, it is totally different.  On the Browser, under Tools > General > Colors, I can change the hyperlink to show that I’ve clicked on it, but the color is absolutely horrible (everything is white, blue, or black).  Also, when I log into my account on a different computer, I can’t tell which hyperlinks I have clicked.  This is awful.  I can already see myself clicking on dozens of links at work, and then going home, and clicking on the same links all over again; a complete waste of time.  Am I missing something here?  How do others deal with this new look and feel of the MS discussion forums?

Please offer me some insight.

Ryan Shuell

• Moved by Reed Copsey, JrMVP Friday, August 17, 2012 4:22 PM Off topic (From:Visual C# General)
    Friday, August 17, 2012 2:50 PM

Answers

• Check the discussion thread, and make your reply there too in Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums.

Web Developer

• Marked as answer by ryguy72 Friday, August 17, 2012 10:49 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 2:53 PM
  • Hi,

I don't usually log to MS Forum Web site.

I prefer to download their contents via RSS Feeds and read them on MS Outlook 2007.

Sebastian Sajaroff Senior DBA Pharmacies Jean Coutu

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:12 PM
  • Hi,

Here's an example based on this very forum (Visual C# General Forum)

Go to the forum main page

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/csharpgeneral/threads

You'll see a big "Visual C# General" violet title with an orange icon to the right (RSS)

Right click on the icon, then on "Copy Shortcut"

If you paste this shortcut on Notepad, you should see the following

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/csharpgeneral/threads?outputAs=rss

Then, open your Outlook, you'll see Inbox, Outbox, Deleted items and there should be

an RSS Feeds somewhere.

Right click there, then choose "Add a new RSS Feed" and paste the last shortcut.

Press OK then F9 to sync contents. That's all!

• Marked as answer by ryguy72 Friday, August 17, 2012 10:48 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 3:24 PM

All replies

• Check the discussion thread, and make your reply there too in Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums.

Web Developer

Friday, August 17, 2012 2:53 PM
  • Hi,

I don't usually log to MS Forum Web site.

I prefer to download their contents via RSS Feeds and read them on MS Outlook 2007.

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:12 PM
  • Interesting, Sebastian.  How can I do that?  Can you post a link with instructions, or talk me through the steps?

Thanks!!

Ryan Shuell

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:14 PM
  • Hi,

Here's an example based on this very forum (Visual C# General Forum)

Go to the forum main page

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/csharpgeneral/threads

You'll see a big "Visual C# General" violet title with an orange icon to the right (RSS)

Right click on the icon, then on "Copy Shortcut"

If you paste this shortcut on Notepad, you should see the following

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/csharpgeneral/threads?outputAs=rss

Then, open your Outlook, you'll see Inbox, Outbox, Deleted items and there should be

an RSS Feeds somewhere.

Right click there, then choose "Add a new RSS Feed" and paste the last shortcut.

Press OK then F9 to sync contents. That's all!

• Marked as answer by ryguy72 Friday, August 17, 2012 10:48 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Cool!  I'll try it when I get home today.  It may be better than what I'm doing now.  However, I don't think this will 'sync' my work computer and home computer, via the discussion forums.  That is to say, I don't think I can read several discussions at work, and then see them appear as having been read on my home PC, and vice versa.  That's really what I'm looking for.

Thanks again!!

Ryan Shuell

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:34 PM
  • The RSS feed works great.  It doesn't solve my problem though.  Oh well.  I learned something new today.

Thanks for the RSS tip, Sebastian!!

Ryan Shuell

Friday, August 17, 2012 10:49 PM