none
Has ANYONE developed a job-based client using this beta? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm running into sooo many problems with this beta I'm beginning to think I'm all alone in trying to develop a job-based app with it

Of course I recognise it's a beta and there are bound to be teething problems, but to not ship the right assemblies in the SDK and delegates not passing the correct parameters seem so fundamental that I'm rapidly losing the will to battle on.

I put together a framework using a central MySQL db and some client services which simply polled the db for jobs to do.  I went along the the HPC 2008 event in London and got all enthusiastic about the administration and roll-out of large clusters which meant that's one less thing I had to write.

I'm beginning to regret moving from my KISS system to one were there seems to be a problem at every turn with v. slow response times to problems.

Hopefully I'm wrong, hopefully I've missed a chunk of docs that tell me how to use the API instead of the current set of documentation which, let's face it, isn't much better than the Object Browser .

Hopefully the next release will have all my problems ironed out and you wont hear from me ever again, but ATM my gut feel is that no-one has looked at the job/task API seriously which surprises me.

Yours in dispair,

Andy

Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:47 AM

All replies

•  

Andy,

I know the API's are bit sketchy in the Betas so far.  We've been doing a lot of work on them in the past few weeks and they should be finalized (and much better tested) for the next Beta release.

Hang in there!  Please keep posting here about any API issues you uncover and rest assured we are working on getting them all fixed.

Thanks,
    Josh

Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:08 PM
  • Josh,

Don't worry I am trying to hang in Smile

a) I hope you guys realise I'm trying to help with the posts

b) As a developer I can feel your pain with a beta release and all these annoying users using the code in ways Iv've not got round to polishing yet.  However, from a code consumer's pov it's hard (for me at least) to know whether it's mistakes I've made in my code, problems with the 3rd party code or the lack of useful documentation (and I don't mean this property is called Id and returns an identifier which seems to be the current state of the help ;-))

My biggest concern is that I'm generating more and more untestable code with workarounds and kludges to overcome existing issues, but I guess that's the price I have to pay for being on a beta program.

However, the up side is that my Nunit tests are certainly more extensive than they probably would have been with release code as they're testing the HPC assemblies as well as mine ;-)

Keep up the good work and I look forward to the next Beta release -- which I hope will be soon ;-)

Andy

Friday, April 11, 2008 9:16 AM
  •  

We actually have some questions for you if you can follow-up with me via e-mail: jbarnard at microsoft dot com

Thanks!
    Josh

Friday, April 11, 2008 8:57 PM