Manage folders RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to add kids movies to another folder ex. KIDS MOVIES without duplicating the movies. I tried shortcuts

but my media player doesnt see them>WDTVLive

i want a seperate folder so she cant see any rated r movies

Sunday, May 9, 2010 10:09 PM

Answers

• No, you can't do that. Shortcuts from one share to another won't show up as "streamable" programs, and if a folder is set to allow streaming, everything in it (that the streaming client can accept anyway) is available to all streaming clients. Note that this means if you have streaming turned on for two folders, but have security set on one of them so that your daughter can't access the folder, she will still be able to stream from that folder.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by reecycup Sunday, May 16, 2010 11:53 PM
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 8:56 PM

All replies

• Only the three default folders support streaming. From those folders, all supported files can be streamed without consideration for any security that may have been set for share access.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 2:37 AM
  • i must be saying it wrong,  sorry

i can make a new folder and stream to it, no problems

i have a thousand movies and tv shows

i dont want my daughter to watch all of them some are rated r

i made a folder with her name it works fine but everything in the folder is a duplicate of my original files in my folder

just wondered if i could make a shortcut of some sort so i dont have two instances of these files(1 in mine, 1 in hers)

hope this helps explain a bit more

Saturday, May 15, 2010 8:32 PM
  • No, you can't do that. Shortcuts from one share to another won't show up as "streamable" programs, and if a folder is set to allow streaming, everything in it (that the streaming client can accept anyway) is available to all streaming clients. Note that this means if you have streaming turned on for two folders, but have security set on one of them so that your daughter can't access the folder, she will still be able to stream from that folder.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by reecycup Sunday, May 16, 2010 11:53 PM
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Thank You
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 11:53 PM