Changes to live desktop are not synchronised with my laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I made a few alterations to an excel file at work using the live desktop and added a few files from my work machine. However, these changes haven't appeared on my laptop

Any help much appreciated. I'm sure I'm missing the obvious.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 7:02 PM

Answers

• How long have you waited? Sometimes I've seen a delay of days and other times the sync is instant. When it doesn't sync, I've been able to "kick start" the sync by either logging out and back in via the ive Mesh client or rebooting the machine.
    In the worst case, change the sync properties to not sync with the laptop and then change them again and merge the Mesh folder with the existing one. That also can resolve the "stuck" no sync problem when it happens.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Thank you.

I think I may have solved the problem, though I won't know until tomorrow.

The problem was that the location on my sync folders on my laptop was pretty haphazard; I don't like folders on my desktop so probably I deleted them carelessly and I may not have been synchronising in the right place (I don't know if I'm making myself clear.

So I have uninstalled and re-installed mesh on my laptop, deleted all my files in documents, created sync folders guided by mesh and saved them (using the browse in the sync option dialog box).

The little blue circle is merrily turning away on both my computers (I tidied up my desktop computer too) and will probably be doing so for most of the night while the files.

The final trial will be (when the blue circles are still; one thing at a time) to create a document at work and upload it to my live desktop and hope it is transferred to my computers.

I am not sure about this but when I use live sync, I need to have login to my account on both computers (which have several users) simultaneously; with mesh will the files be updated when another user is logged on? (this would be best) or will I have to logon to start the process? However, presumably I will not need to run both computer simultaneously.

I have read various comments about windows live wave 4 which points to further integration of live systems, do you know when this will be released?
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:44 PM

All replies

• How long have you waited? Sometimes I've seen a delay of days and other times the sync is instant. When it doesn't sync, I've been able to "kick start" the sync by either logging out and back in via the ive Mesh client or rebooting the machine.
    In the worst case, change the sync properties to not sync with the laptop and then change them again and merge the Mesh folder with the existing one. That also can resolve the "stuck" no sync problem when it happens.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Thanks Steve, I shall try this later.

I should have given a few more details about what I'm trying to do.

I run a laptop computer and a desktop and have a computer at work and what live mesh appears to offer is a chance for me to synchronise all the files I am currently working on (and in the future I may try to utilise the sharing facility). My desktop and laptop have live mesh software installed but not the computers at work (and the administrator is not keen on our downloading software). I was very impressed when I could oen files at work on live mesh and alter them and disappointed when the synchronisation failed - no matter, I understand that this is a beta and that (I presume) microsoft continues to work on this project.
    I am tempted to start all over again if your suggestion fails - i.e. unistall mesh then delete (or move) my files from my documents on my home computers and try to synchronise "down" from from the desktop on live mesh (that's perfectly up to date, since synchronising "up" to the mesh is working.

I have to say that I think what Microsoft is trying to do with cloud computing is excellent and offers a potential step change in computing for users. However, it's all a bit confusing. Firstly, windows live is great, I'm really pleased to be able to have access to all my emails on both of my computers and on the internet while I am at work and to have a synchronised calendar (but why don't tasks synchronise?). The Skydrive facility is very useful as an achive but a real pain to use as folders cannot be uploaded; so, if you have a filing system a few layers deep the process is a tedious one. Live office is good but would be much more so if folders could be uploaded and downloaded. I recall being able to upload folders to live mesh but could the depth of my folders system be a problem for synchronisation; while to top level folders are blue on my computers, the inner ones are yellow (I hope that makes sense). I think it would be help to have button to start off the synchronisation or a clearer way to see whether the process has succeeded. Finally, it would be useful to be able to attach files to emails from one of the storage facilites.

Sorry to go on so much but, I am very keen on what you are trying to do and keen to find out what is likely to happen and will you be able to make this system easier to use and 100% reliable.

Best wishes
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:31 PM
  • Long posts are not a problem. :-)
    The nested folders within the blue Mesh folders should still sync. Everything within the top level folder is part of the Meshed folder.
    What you are trying to do should work - the folders and files changed via the Live Desktop should sync to the home computers that are part of your Mesh.
    I am looking forward to the future of all of these initiatives. I suspect we'll see tasks sync one day in the Windows Live Hotmail/Calendar areana and the current direction appears to be a merger of Live Mesh, Live Sync and SkyDrive. I suspect Office Live will also be merged into this mix.
    Do let us know how you progress on trying to get the sync to work fully for you.
    -steve
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:45 PM
  • Thank you.

I think I may have solved the problem, though I won't know until tomorrow.

The problem was that the location on my sync folders on my laptop was pretty haphazard; I don't like folders on my desktop so probably I deleted them carelessly and I may not have been synchronising in the right place (I don't know if I'm making myself clear.

So I have uninstalled and re-installed mesh on my laptop, deleted all my files in documents, created sync folders guided by mesh and saved them (using the browse in the sync option dialog box).

The little blue circle is merrily turning away on both my computers (I tidied up my desktop computer too) and will probably be doing so for most of the night while the files.

The final trial will be (when the blue circles are still; one thing at a time) to create a document at work and upload it to my live desktop and hope it is transferred to my computers.

I am not sure about this but when I use live sync, I need to have login to my account on both computers (which have several users) simultaneously; with mesh will the files be updated when another user is logged on? (this would be best) or will I have to logon to start the process? However, presumably I will not need to run both computer simultaneously.

I have read various comments about windows live wave 4 which points to further integration of live systems, do you know when this will be released?
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:44 PM
  • Hopefully you have resolved it. :-) It sounds like you did.

Regarding login - yes, in theory, you'd need to log in. However, if you are also synchronizing with the Live Desktop, files will sync between it and any PC that is running the client and signed in. Live Sync is Peer to Peer only, Live Mesh can do P2P, but also syncs with the "cloud." However, some have reported that if they log in and even log out of Windows, synchronization from that PC continues, though that should not be the case.

Nothing has been announced regarding Wave 4, and the bits about integrating the services is not official, either, though there have been lots of snippets about this direction and it makes sense. My gut feel tells me that we won't see anything about Wave 4 until late this year at the earliest regarding any of the Windows Live Essentials programs and Live Mesh.

-steve
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 1:07 PM
  • Thank you. It works now.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 7:01 PM