Contact details for blogs.msdn.com team? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone have any contact details for the team in charge of blogs.msdn.com?  I know this isn't directly related with the MSDN forums, but can't find contact details anywhere.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Friday, September 11, 2009 2:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• What kind of help you want from  blogs.msdn.com. We supports blogs

SachinW Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Friday, September 18, 2009 9:26 AM
  • Hi Sachin,

Hopefully you can help then.  Ever since the new captchas were introduced I've not been able to post comments to any blogs hosted on blogs.msdn.com.  I think my work's IP (80.194.146.10) may be incorrectly being blocked, as I'm able to post to msdn blogs fine from home.  When I post to an msdn blog from work, I'm getting immediately redirected to homepage of the blog and the comment never appears.  Could you possibly check this out for me?

Thanks,
    Dan

Friday, September 18, 2009 9:54 AM
  • Hi Sachin,

Any luck tracking down what the problem might be?  I don't seem to be able to post comments at all now, no matter where I post from.  I'm logged into MSDN blogs (username "danieldsmith"), and I'm not seeing the usual acknowledgement when I post (that says "your comment has been submitted, but might not appear immediately if it's being moderated") - I'm just getting redirected immediately to the home page of the blog.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Friday, September 25, 2009 9:18 AM
  • I've had this same problem, and it's insanely annoying since I am (or rather, used to be) a regular poster on a few blogs. Yes I've tried the standard things tech support suggests like multiple browsers, computers, and even locations.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 3:58 PM
  • That's good to know that it's not just me this happening to.  I noticed blogs.msdn.com was undergoing maintenance last Friday and I was hopeful that they were fixing this, but sadly posting comments is still not working for me.

Hopefully Sachin or someone else can give us an update (even if it's just to let us know it's being looked into), or hook us up with a contact directly on MSDN blogs team so we can get this resolved.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:18 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

Please give me following details.
    1. your login id to the blogs
    2. Content or copy of the post you are trying to post
    3. Name of the blog you  are trying to post.
    4. screenshot of the error you are receiving.

I will definately look into this and will try to resolve the issue.
    SachinW Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:32 PM
  • (I'll jump in since I'm having the problem too)
    1. "Mike Dunn" is my usual user name. I also tried making "Mike Dunn v2.0" as a test. I was able to get a comment through only once with that account, but all other attempts have failed.
    2. I've tried maybe a dozen times, it doesn't matter what the content is.
    3. blogs.msdn.com/{oldnewthing, larryosterman, ericlippert}
    4. I don't get an error, I get redirected to the default.aspx page of the blog I was trying to post to.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:03 AM
  • Thanks Sachin, here's the details:

1) Username: "danieldsmith".

2) I've been saving my comments in notepad before hitting submit as it was getting frustrating loosing them every time.  Here's the content of a recent one I tried to post to Rico Mariani's blog:

"@Stefan, completely agree about the pain of the lack of E&C when developing 64-bit.  Really wish this could have been addressed in VS2010."

3) http://blogs.msdn.com/ricom/archive/2009/10/08/my-history-of-visual-studio-part-4.aspx

4) I'm not getting an error message so I can't post a screenshot.  It just redirects to the homepage of the specific blog (in this case, back to http://blogs.msdn.com/ricom)

Please let me know if you need any more information, or if you need me to submit a test post so someome can monitor the logs.

Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:51 PM
  • 1. brian tkatch

2. Works: "this is a test"
       Does not work: "this is a test of the posting replies. Some work, some don't.

Hopefully this will help the support staff."

3. "Carpe Datum" "The Old New Thing"

4. I don't get an error. I just goes back to the blog homepage/index.
    • Edited by Brian Tkatch Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:05 PM typo
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:05 PM
  • Any progress on this problem? Here's another error report from just a few minutes ago:

1. "Mike Dunn" - the account I've always used.
    2. "There's even a web site about the (mis)use of this phrase: http://begthequestion.info"
    3. http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert/archive/2009/10/22/begging-the-question.aspx
    4. I first got an error about typing in the wrong number, even though I typed the right number. The page reloaded with a different captcha. I typed in the new number, clicked Submit, and got redirected to the default.aspx page of the blog.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Hi Sachin,

Any luck with this yet?  Have the devs on the blogs team been able to reproduce the problem?  It doesn't look like it's an isolated issue as we've got number of people who are affected by this now.  I've also had a number of my colleagues at work try posting and they're getting the same problems.

Monday, October 26, 2009 10:09 PM
  • Good news folks.  The comment issues have finally been resolved:

http://blogs.msdn.com/visualstudio/archive/2009/10/27/comments-are-not-getting-posted.aspx

It's only taken about three months and the involvement of the VS platform PM to get there, but at least it's fixed now!

Thank you to everyone involved for verifying and investigating the issue.

Thanks,
    Dan

Friday, October 30, 2009 8:22 PM
  • I actually just posted this to our blog.  Took a bit of debugging to figure it out.  I'm going to try and spread the message internally, but if you're experiencing the problem, try typing a longer post :)

@danieldsmith:

Well we fixed it for our blog without any changes to the infrastructure.  The blog platform has a reasonably strict SPAM filter out-of-the-box, and unfortunately, the software doesn't give the site owner or the end-user any indication that the comment did not save.

An easy way to spot this is, if after you hit "Submit", you're taking back to the blog home page rather than staying on the post.  If that happens, it means you post was picked up by the filter.

There's also no "junk" folder so, unfortunately, these comments are lost.  I increased the spam filter on this site to be a bit less strict.

-Wes

Remember to mark the best replies as answers!
    Friday, October 30, 2009 9:58 PM
  • This is not fixed at all. "Type a longer post" is not a solution. And just to prove it's not a solution, I tried posting my comment to Eric Lippert's blog again, with two sentences of extra text (one of them being an apology for the extra text) and it *still* won't post. Come on.

Why are some people able to post one-liners but I can't post multiple-sentence posts? For some one-liners, see:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2009/10/30/9915030.aspx#comments
    And if this actually were fixed, why wouldn't it be fixed across all blogs at once? Changing this setting on every blog individually is silly.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 11:34 PM
  • I was assuming that the fix mentioned on the VS blog was the result of a global msdn blogs fix, so sorry if I've caused any confusion.  Before posting here, I also posted comments to a couple of other blogs to make sure, although most of them were fairly lengthy comments.  For example this got through fine earlier:

http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonz/archive/2009/10/29/vs2010-beta-2-feedback-survey.aspx

Actually I did also get a "one liner" comment through on the VS blog here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/visualstudio/archive/2009/10/26/toolbox-search.aspx

@Michael, if the spam filters are adjustable on a per blog basis, maybe Eric has his set higher than the defaults.  Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to contact these people about it though, because the "Email" links at the side of the msdn blogs seem to use the same spam filtering process!

Surely if we're logged in with our user accounts, and entering the correct captcha code that should always be enough to satisfy the filters, regardless of the level?

Saturday, October 31, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Just when I thought things were looking better, I'm getting blocked again.  I'm trying to post here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/brada/archive/2009/10/30/we-need-your-feedback-on-the-documentation.aspx

The content of my comment is:

I think you might have got the survey link wrong.  The link you posted ends up on the MSDN library:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd831853(VS.100).aspx

I also tried posting with out the link (in case the spam filters aren't liking it) and also with some additional lines of filler text to make the comment longer, but no luck.  Grrrr!

Saturday, October 31, 2009 2:17 AM
  • @Michael, if the spam filters are adjustable on a per blog basis, maybe Eric has his set higher than the defaults.  Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to contact these people about it though, because the "Email" links at the side of the msdn blogs seem to use the same spam filtering process!

The fact that I lost the ability to comment on all blogs at the same time suggests to me that it's a site-wide problem, not config problems with all the blogs that I happen to try to post to.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 8:59 AM
  • The fact that I lost the ability to comment on all blogs at the same time suggests to me that it's a site-wide problem, not config problems with all the blogs that I happen to try to post to.

Yep, I lost the ability to comment on all MSDN blogs at the same time too.  I was just saying that even if/when they do issue a global fix, if the settings can be overridden on a per blog basis, we could still end up having problems on some blogs.

Hopefully with the combination of a global fix, and with Weston spreading the word to individual MSDN bloggers we can get things sorted out properly.
    Monday, November 2, 2009 9:47 AM
  • Short comments do get posted. Like one sentence or two.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 5:08 PM
  • Sachin or Weston - have you made any progress toward getting this fixed?
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:46 PM
  • I've noticed my comments have gone through lately. I guess you are still experiencing this issue. Does size of your comment matter?
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:14 PM
  • Well, I just got a two-paragraph and a one-liner comment through to http://blogs.msdn.com/9929239.aspx so I'm happy again.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 8:04 PM