none
I want to reformat using killdisk, my computer is on Win XP SP3 (original) RRS feed

• Question

• I bought my laptop about 2 years ago, it had Windows XP SP3 preinstalled, and it's genuine.  If I use killdisk to wipe everything off my computer during the format, I will lose the Win XP genuine OS.  Will I have to buy a new one to get a genuine version or can I use the serial number that came with my laptop (it's a sticker at the bottom of my laptop)?

Thanks.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:44 PM

Answers

• Hello dezinerite,

Your best course of action IMO is to use the manufacturer's recovery solution that was provided with the laptop when new.

Usually this is a Destructive Recovery and the means to execute the recovery is accessed by a specific keystroke combination at startup, or by starting the procedure within Windows by finding the Recovery Program in your Start Menu>All Programs menu.  Another method which the manufacurers seem to be getting away from, is to run a Recovery Disc provided with the computer when new.

For more detailed instructions it would be best to visit the support pages for your exact model at the manufacturer's support site.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:30 PM

All replies

• Hello dezinerite,

Your best course of action IMO is to use the manufacturer's recovery solution that was provided with the laptop when new.

Usually this is a Destructive Recovery and the means to execute the recovery is accessed by a specific keystroke combination at startup, or by starting the procedure within Windows by finding the Recovery Program in your Start Menu>All Programs menu.  Another method which the manufacurers seem to be getting away from, is to run a Recovery Disc provided with the computer when new.

For more detailed instructions it would be best to visit the support pages for your exact model at the manufacturer's support site.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Oh ok thanks Dan, I will try to do just that.  Thanks for your help and have a wonderful weekend.
    Friday, June 25, 2010 1:41 AM