[MSN Money] Portfolio Manager Changes RRS feed

• Question

• I've religiously posted dividends, splits, repurchases to Portfolio Manager for at least 10 years.  It now appears that Portfolio Manager is being replaced by something so generic it looks like a smartphone app.  How do I save all the history and continue to get calculations like annual rate of return, etc.?  How do I customize the headings to include the number of shares I hold of each security?  How to I get the "new, improved" application to give me what the old one did?  I don't get a popup that the link on the "old" Portfolio Manager claims I will get to import my information.

Awful change, poorly executed.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 5:23 PM

All replies

• I agree 120%.

I see something that implies I will be able to import my portfolio information, but how, and to what form?

"If you have watchlists or portfolios associated with your account in the old MSN Money site or myMSN site, you will be prompted to Import them to the new msn Money site. Click the “Import now” button on the pop-up, as shown below, to navigate to the new My Watchlist."

I see no pop-up, no import button, nothing like that.  I see something that looks like a migration path to the new "My Watchlist", whatever that might be, but no actual means to migrate.  I do not see a portfolio manager like the one I have, and have had for years.  I remember seeing a warning to migrate by 22 December, but I cannot see my portfolio now, and I cannot migrate now.

Poorly conceived and poorly executed indeed.  When will this be clarified?  (Will this be clarified?)

• Edited by dubina Friday, December 12, 2014 1:46 AM
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:43 PM
  • I have the exact same problem that you describe. I wish there was a way to save and export 10 years worth of transactions to a program similar to the classic version of MSN portfolio manager.

Friday, December 12, 2014 3:24 AM
  • Having the same problem. 
    Monday, December 15, 2014 5:20 PM
  • I am just disgusted with Microsoft over this. I have 15 years of data in there. I get 2 weeks notice, and then they seem to have shut it down a week early. I've tried and tried to import to the new widget, and it just says" Sorry, can't show you this now. We'll fix it real soon". Really? Really?! Really???!!!

How can you manage my entire financial asset tracking for 15 years, and then just dump me, with no way to export the data to something like Excel? Honestly, Microsoft, what are you smoking? This injury will cause me (and everyone I profer advice to) to avoid ANY purchase of ANY Microsoft product for the rest of my life!

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 4:24 PM
  • I've religiously posted dividends, splits, repurchases to Portfolio Manager for at least 10 years.  It now appears that Portfolio Manager is being replaced by something so generic it looks like a smartphone app.  How do I save all the history and continue to get calculations like annual rate of return, etc.?  How do I customize the headings to include the number of shares I hold of each security?  How to I get the "new, improved" application to give me what the old one did?  I don't get a popup that the link on the "old" Portfolio Manager claims I will get to import my information.

Awful change, poorly executed.

I too have used MSN Portfolio Manger for years. I am sorry to see it go. I wish I could export my trnsactions to a file I can save  -,qif or even a text file would be useful.

I have been checking out alternates:   www.

aaii.com/computerizedinvesting/article/the-top-online-portfolio-trackers

Morningstar has almost all the useful customization capabilities of the old Portfolio Manager and more.  I can print & export files  -and it's free.  Fortunately I've saved paper files & can recreate my portfolio.  I hope I won't have to put up with all the unpredictable changes of MSN Portfolio anymore.  Morningstar understands investors & their needs.

• Proposed as answer by Paul J Kramer Tuesday, February 3, 2015 11:56 PM
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 3:49 AM
  • Thanks Paul. Good article and comments to it also.

I've been using Personal Capital for a while in anticipation of Microsoft shtupping us. It supports connections to more banks and brokers than any other product I've seen, is available on all platforms, and has a lot of very slick features. The biggest drawback is that it while it does import your portfolios from your brokers and keep them up to date, it does not collect the original basis, so while you can look at performance over time, you can't look at it relative to cost. Its still worth checking out.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 2:27 PM
  • It's back up, still no link to migrate your data
    Friday, December 19, 2014 4:49 PM
  • Its back up, no link to migrate your data yet.
    Friday, December 19, 2014 4:53 PM
  • I didn't get any warning that I know of, but can't find Portfolio Manager anywhere now, no matter which browser I try.  I too have depended on it for 15 years. 

How could anybody do such a thing? 

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 11:04 PM
  • Yep. Pretty disgusting. Little warning. No way to export or migrate data. A zillion attempts to migrate to the new MSN Watchlist failed. Lost all that financial history.

I was able to print a few pages of data, and captured some screenshots of a few others, but basically lost all the transactions for over 15 years of data.

I nominate Microsoft for WORST COMPANY IN THE WORLD!!!!

It'll be at least a generation before I willingly purchase another Microsoft product!

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 12:09 AM
  • I too, Dubina, have been using Portfolio Manager since the mid-nineties and have religiously recorded every event in my sizable and various portfolios in order to view them all in one place and receive accurate APR rates on my investments and even had to furnish cost basis info to my CPA last year which I was able to retrieve from the Manager.  NO MORE!  It is all gone now, and I was tenacious in trying to migrate my info.  I could NEVER locate an "IMPORT NOW" button, IN FACT I could never get the "POP UP" to appear.

I am considering filing suit against Microsoft for the considerable and irreparable damages they have caused me and the several Trusts which I represent by literally ERASING twenty years worth of record keeping.  I would definitely consider a class-action against them.....ANYONE INTERESTED???

I would be happy to pay for the information.  I just cannot live with the loss of all the transactions.  Just give us a chance to retrieve it!

Microsoft, CAN YOU HEAR US?

• Edited by WBPatton Tuesday, February 3, 2015 8:32 PM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 8:30 PM
  • My sincere sympathy.  I too had grown to depend on MSN.

I did migrate; but the new "Watchlist' doesn't contain nearly the info of the old Portfolio Manager.  You didn't miss anything.

I opened a free portfolio in Morningstar:

http://

portfolio.morningstar.com/RtPort/Reg/AllView.aspx

Copy the above into your browser & create a portfolio from your records. It has many more features than MSN ever had. 

You can easily customize your view & export to Excel.

I started my portfolios from the Jan 1 cost basis & will be adding events as they occur.

The effort will get your investing going again. 

• Proposed as answer by Paul J Kramer Wednesday, February 4, 2015 12:30 AM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 12:29 AM
  • I am considering filing suit against Microsoft for the considerable and irreparable damages they have caused me and the several Trusts which I represent by literally ERASING twenty years worth of record keeping.  I would definitely consider a class-action against them.....ANYONE INTERESTED???

I would be happy to pay for the information.  I just cannot live with the loss of all the transactions.  Just give us a chance to retrieve it!

Microsoft, CAN YOU HEAR US?

I would be glad to join a class action lawsuit, and I think we could find a law firm that would take it on!

2 weeks ago my laptop got hit by the awful CTB Locker Ransomware virus. It locked and encrypted literally every single data file on my laptop, as well as my Dropbox and Onedrive files. HOWEVER, I was back up and running happily and smoothly within about 6 hours. Why? Because I had a backup! (It was on an external HD that was not connected to my PC at the time the virus struck). The point here is that Microsoft's behavior here is more vile and malicious than one of the worst known malware attackers in the world. They wiped out my 20 years of financial transactions, and gave me no way to back it up or otherwise save it. So, yes, I think we could make a legal point that we had reason to trust that our data would be secure, and that Microsoft willfully and carelessly destroyed our data causing us great damage.

I have spent the last month and a half evaluating at least 20 alternative portfolio managers, and have not yet found the perfect replacement. One thin I think I've determined is that the online portfolio managers are fine for a quick look, but I will NEVER again depend on an online-only product to trust my data to. I'm now looking at all the "offline" products where my data will reside where I can control it.

From my first eval of Morningstar (yesterday), I found two big flaws:

1) No totals across portfolios. Its basically one portfolio at a time from a drop down list, with no "All Portfolios" view. Deal breaker...

2) No combining of stock purchases for the same symbol. So, if I have a portfolio of 10 stocks, and one of those stock I've bought in 10 different lots, the views all show all 10 lines for the separate purchases of that stock, buried among the other stocks in the portfolio. Deal breaker...

So far, SigFig is my closest approximation, but it doesn't do annualized returns.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 3:17 AM