Accessing newly created shares RRS feed

• Question

• Via the Console I create a new share and allow my account (used on several PCs) read/write access. I find I can't write to the new share from Windows Explorer and get Access Denied messages.

Rebooting WHS fixes the problem. I also observe that waiting 15-20 minutes sometimes works.

Why can't I write to new shares immediately?

Thursday, March 15, 2007 1:28 AM

Answers

• This is due to the fact that your login credentials have been cached on the workstation.  When you create a new share it sets the permissions on it.  When you try to access the share your credentials do not know you have access yet.   You could do a number of things to try and get a new set of login credentials from the server:

Logout of the workstation then log back in again.
    Wait 15-20 minutes for the credentials to be refreshed
    Right click on 'My Network Places' and disconnect any connections to \\server
    Reboot the server

There are probaly some others that I am not thinking of, but these are the basics.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:15 PM

All replies

• While I don't have an answer for you, I can tell you that I haven't had that problem, and I have added numerous shares/permissions.  I have noticed, though, that from a client pc with a WHS share open in Explorer, I have to refresh to see the latest file addition/deletion/update.  Could it be that your Explorer window is just not updating?  Try an F5 refresh and see if it works for you.

pete

Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:20 AM
  • Did you try closing down your explorer session to the WHS server and then retry again?

I cant think of any reason why you need to wait 15 - 20 minutes before the share is available.  I will give this a try on my WHS when I get back

Michael
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:21 AM
  • I've had the same problem.  If I reset WHS, the shared folder then becomes accessible.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 12:21 PM
  • Me too - rebooting WHS sorts it out, I've never tried just waiting to see if the new shares become available by themselves.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:11 PM
  • This is due to the fact that your login credentials have been cached on the workstation.  When you create a new share it sets the permissions on it.  When you try to access the share your credentials do not know you have access yet.   You could do a number of things to try and get a new set of login credentials from the server:

Logout of the workstation then log back in again.
    Wait 15-20 minutes for the credentials to be refreshed
    Right click on 'My Network Places' and disconnect any connections to \\server
    Reboot the server

There are probaly some others that I am not thinking of, but these are the basics.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:15 PM
  • Same problem here. I also had started a thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1330592&SiteID=50

Thanks for the caching information. At least we know why now. Maybe this could be addressed in the suggestion forums to be fixed.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 4:48 PM
  •  

Or if you are like me and don't want to do any of the above, another option is to remote desktop into your homeserver and close the share session for the user you want refreshed.

1) Remote desktop into the homeserver as Administrator

2) Start > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Computer Management

3) System Tools > Shared Folders > Sessions

4) Find the user in question and right click and select Close Session

Then when you try to reconnect to the server will have the new credentials. Since I have a lot of connections on the client this is a lot easier then trying to disconnect all the outstanding connections on the client.
    Sunday, January 27, 2008 7:05 PM