Can not open backups. RRS feed

• Question

• Since 11/25's update I can't open up backups.  The backup gets to 81% and fails with a "Cannot connect to backup service on server" error.  The event log shows the backup service shutting down (it comes right back on after attempting the open).

From a vista client a Z: drive is mounted and a dialog asking to reformat the drive pops up prior to failing stating the backup service has quit running.  From an Xp client I just get the backup service not running message.

Prior to the 11/25 update I couldn't get back ups to open past 79%.

I haven't logged a bug yet, in case someone has a solution.  I uninstalled and re-installed PP1 along with the 11/25 update.  This did not affect the problem.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:23 AM

All replies

• In this update we added additional tracing and finer granularity to the progress bar in single file restore. That's why now you see 81% instead of 79%.  Also I have seen rebooting the client resolves this issue, which you may give a try.

If it doesn't work, please open a bug with server/client logs so we can further investigate and address it in a later update.

Thanks,
    Fan
    Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:27 AM
  • Having the same problem on a newly setup WHS. I have not done any backups before I received the 11/25 upgrade.
    After I installed the 11/25 upgrade the server did a complete backup of a Vista Home Premium SP-1 laptop with 2 partitions (C: and D:).
    I can open a backup only once. A second attempt to open a backup (either partition) fails with the "Cannot connect to backup service on server" error message at about 6%.
    If I reboot the laptop I can open either partition backup again only once after which I get the same message.
    I am using the Windows Firewall on both WHS and laptop. I did not make any changes to either firewall myself.
    Both WHS and the laptop run the trial version of Avast! Antivirus (v4.7 on the WHS and v4.8 on the laptop). I do not see any indication that Avast! Antivirus is interfering but I will try later by disabling it on both ends.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:30 PM
  • Same exact problem here.  Had problems opening backups prior to update..after update I have the same exact symptoms as Lliam.  Tried rebooting server and client made no difference.  I was hoping that the update would solve this issue, still no change.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:20 PM
  • @jn333

Have you downloaded the new toolkit (v1.1) installed it on your home server and submitted your log files from that PC and your home server (aka sent a CAB file) and then submitted a bug on Connect?
    Windows Home Server Team
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:34 AM
  • Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:58 AM
  • I will download 1.1 and submit cab file.  

Thanks
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 2:36 PM
  • I now have the same problem!  I can open one of my PC's backups ok but not the other.  The XP client backups work fine.  The Vista client opens to 81% and then stops with an error message saying it cannot connect.

I have one interesting observation.  I can see the progress bar in the backup status window and a status bar in the home server console.  For the backup that doesn't open, these are not in sync.  In fact when the status window reaches 81% and stops, the console bar reaches 100%.

In the absence of a fix for this problem, does anyone know if the backups would work ok in a full restore or if I am wasting my time keeping these backups.
    Thanks
    Philip
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 8:57 AM
  • The only way to be certain that your backups will work in a full restore is to actually do a full restore. But can you open the backups from another WHS-joined PC?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:25 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, Ken.  I forgot to say that I cannot open the backup from either of my PC's that are connected.  I get the same error on each machine.  Both machines can open the backups of my XP PC.
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:24 PM
  • Hi,

Could you do as mentioned above, and using the latest Toolkit, submit a cab report?
    From what I understand, there appears to be a number of possible reasons why this is happening, so the more reports the better.
    If you have a spare drive, you could try a restore by using the 'ClientRestoreWizard.exe' which is available in the Program Files-Windows Home server folder on any Client. This will allow you to select any Clients' backup, not just the ones for the Client you are operating on.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:37 PM
  • Thanks, Colin

I have generated a cab from Toolkit and sent it.  Number 539482157.

I note from the Toolkit, that it is reporting a connection error.  The only issue is "AppPool is off".  I don't think this is a problem (?)

A bit of background to my problem.
    I have been operating perfectly successfully for a year without these issues.  The only new thing is the latest update and I installed "Lights Out" addin.

The first sign of a problem was a red light earlier this week with the backup service not running.  I ran the database repair wizard from the console.  It cured the problem by deleting the backups from my Vista PC.  I then did a new backup manually.  Subsequently, there has been one automatic backup.  All ok with no errors.  It is these new backups that I cannot open.

Unfortunately, I do not have another disk large enough to test the full restore.

Thanks for your help
    Philip
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 7:52 PM
  • Philip,

Hopefully, the WHS Team will finally come up with some fixes!
    In the meantime, while I don't think it's implicated, have you ran 'chkdsk /r' on each drive in the Client? It would at least remove the possibility of data errors being a cause.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 8:29 PM
  • I ran chkdsk but no errors.  Thanks for the advice.
    Philip
    Friday, December 5, 2008 3:03 PM
  • I thought that I should provide an update since I can (at the moment!) open backups from both my connected PC's.  This might be relevant to others with the same problem.

This morning, I had the red light back saying again that there was a problem with the database.  I ran the wizard to repair it.  This time it complained of consistency errors and insisted on deleting all backups from all connected machines.  I have now done manual backups from each machine and everything looks ok - all can be opened from any machine.

I suspect that the consistency error is the key here as the backup relies on all the individual backups as no file is duplicated.  The errors were only finally removed by replacing all the backups for all the machines.  It is interesting that the sympton I suffered was the 81% error for just one set of backups until it finally failed.

Perhaps others with the 81% error should consider deleting all backups and starting again (daunting though that can be).

Philip
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 4:38 PM
  • pwt01 said:

I thought that I should provide an update since I can (at the moment!) open backups from both my connected PC's.  This might be relevant to others with the same problem.

This morning, I had the red light back saying again that there was a problem with the database.  I ran the wizard to repair it.  This time it complained of consistency errors and insisted on deleting all backups from all connected machines.  I have now done manual backups from each machine and everything looks ok - all can be opened from any machine.

I suspect that the consistency error is the key here as the backup relies on all the individual backups as no file is duplicated.  The errors were only finally removed by replacing all the backups for all the machines.  It is interesting that the sympton I suffered was the 81% error for just one set of backups until it finally failed.

Perhaps others with the 81% error should consider deleting all backups and starting again (daunting though that can be).

Philip

Heh, what do you know.  I deleted all my backups on all my clients and created a new backup and was able to open that backup.  Previously I had deleted all backups on one of my clients and created new backups and could not open the new backup.  I guess deleting all backups on all clients (essentially deleting the entire backup database) is a work around.  Not a very good one for those who have important information on their older backups...
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 11:26 PM
  • Perhaps I spoke too soon.  As soon as I backedup another client - I could not open any backups any more (error says backup service is not running).  I'll have to up date my bug report.

Just to be clear, I deleted *all* my backups from all my WHS clients.  Then I backed up one client.  I could open that client's backup.  I then made backups of two other clients.  I tried opening one of those and could not.  I tried opening the first client's backup that I had opened before and I couldn't.
    Monday, December 8, 2008 2:28 AM