Assign role to user RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using a user in CRM 4.0 that is set as Access Mode: Adminstrator and has a role: System administrator.

I created 5 users as the client have only 5 licences, but I cant assign roles to that 5 users, because CRM keeps poping error: "The logged-on user does not have the appropriate security permission to view these records or perform the specific action."

Am I doing something wrong ?

tnx, Neven

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:00 AM

Answers

• You could try doing a repair and see if that corrects the issue.  If not, and it were me, I would uninstall and reinstall because it is behaving oddly and one has to wonder if the first install was actually error free.

Since there is no data in the database, you might want to consider uninstalling SQL and re-installing it as well.  Here is a link to an article on how to manually uninstall so you can have a look at everything that is added to the server for an install.  I generally uninstall SQL, SQL Report Server and IIS if I am able, rename the SQL file folder under programs to something like Bak...   This helps to ensure the new installation doesn't try to use any of the existing install files.  However, that is just me, I doubt that most people do that.

Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:36 PM
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:26 PM

All replies

• What happens if you set your user with Full Access mode?
    My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com You will find: Form Javascript Manager (export/import javascript from forms) ISV.Config Manager (graphical ISV.config edition - export/import) View Layout replicator (customize one view and replicate to others) And others (use tool tag on my blog)
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 11:12 AM
  • I cant change Access mode for current user, and I cant set roles to other users, so no other user can login ...
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 11:17 AM
  • Are you logging in as the user who installed the CRM application?

Best Regards, Donna
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 11:43 AM
  • I'm not shure, I didnt installed it, I'm just finishing customization for client, but when I check Deployment manager I can see that user I'm using as Administrator in CRM is the same as Deployment administrator.

When I started creating users for client I noticed that this "admin" user has been set to Access mode FULL, and I changed it to Administrator because I needed 5 licences for client users.

I dont know, maybe someone that installed CRM did something wrong with this initial user ?
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 11:58 AM
  • Ok, if the user is listed as the Deployment user then it is the same user that installed.  Set the access to full.  It sounds like something has happened to the user record that has caused some undesireable behavior.  See if the client would be willing to temporarily give the user Domain Admin rights to see if that makes a difference.  If it does make a difference, at least we have narrowed it down to a security access issue on the network.

You can also check SQL and the CRM server to ensure the user is in the Admin group, and check SQL to ensure the user has full rights on the SQL database.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 12:33 PM
  • I cant set Access to FULL, CRM reports that I dont have permissions to do it. This user is also domain administrator, so that is covered aswell.

What user does CRM use to connect to SQL server ? User that installed it or does it impersonate users ?
    Do i need to configure permissions on CLIENT_MSCRM and MSCRM_CONFIG databases or ?

Would it be easier just to reinstall CRM all over again since the client didnt start using it, so i can reinstall it and reimport customizations ?

tnx, Neven

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 1:42 PM
  • I can't remember how it works in 4.0 but in 3.0, administrator mode didn't allow to create or update data and users, roles, products, pricelevel, etc. were considered as data, so maybe it is the same case here...
    My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com You will find: Form Javascript Manager (export/import javascript from forms) ISV.Config Manager (graphical ISV.config edition - export/import) View Layout replicator (customize one view and replicate to others) And others (use tool tag on my blog)
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 1:50 PM
  • You could try doing a repair and see if that corrects the issue.  If not, and it were me, I would uninstall and reinstall because it is behaving oddly and one has to wonder if the first install was actually error free.

Since there is no data in the database, you might want to consider uninstalling SQL and re-installing it as well.  Here is a link to an article on how to manually uninstall so you can have a look at everything that is added to the server for an install.  I generally uninstall SQL, SQL Report Server and IIS if I am able, rename the SQL file folder under programs to something like Bak...   This helps to ensure the new installation doesn't try to use any of the existing install files.  However, that is just me, I doubt that most people do that.

Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:36 PM
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:26 PM
  • bah, I just find out that there are some more stuff on SQL server so i cant reinstall it.
    I'll just reinstall CRM using link you sent me and see what happens.

tnx, Neven
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:38 AM