Can't validate xp RRS feed

• Question

• I have a genuine copy of XP as evidenced by the report below. However, I receive an error everytime I try to validate my copy of windows [0x80080299]. I can't update my version of explorer and therefore can't update my version of flashplayer. This has been a total nightmare for almost a year now. I have run every diagnostic tool known to man and I have turned off all programs (anti-spyware/antivirus software etc.), all to no avail. Can someone please help me? I am running an educational institution licensed version of XP and have a feeling this is the reason for my difficulties.

JV

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-7M87V-4TTDR-TR8Q3
    Windows Product Key Hash: lNqJlfA/3884IlAS25HB/KkXbys=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-006-2838412-22387
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {00AC3843-8306-4CBE-ACBE-7709E61592BF}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.7
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-531-645_025D1FF3-171-1_70AFE6BE-1170-800401f3_70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-433-800401f3_E2AD56EA-234-800401f3_16E0B333-80-800401f3_B4D0AA8B-911-800401f3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ybrowser.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Allowed
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Allowed
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details:

Sunday, January 13, 2008 5:06 PM

Answers

• Hello jvsummer99,

From your Diagnostic Report, your Windows XP Pro and Office are both Genuine, but I also see that a part of the Diagnostic Report is missing. The missing portion is a bunch of XML tags and text we call the XML Blob.

The missing XML Blob usually points to a problem (XML Issue) that is larger then just WGA, but it does have a direct affect on your ability to validate Windows. Please follow the below steps and tell us if this resolves your issue.

1) Download and install MSXML 6.0 at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=993c0bcf-3bcf-4009-be21-27e85e1857b1&DisplayLang=en (this should correct the XML issue)

2) Delete the file LegitCheckControl.DLL from the c:\windows\system32 folder (this removes the WGA Validation ActiveX control, in case it is corrupt or improperly installed)

3) Download and install the WGA Validation ActiveX control at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69479  (this will re-install the WGA Validation ActiveX control which is required to validate)

4) Go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ and click the "Start Diagnostic" button, if there are any problems listed, click the "Resolve Now" button. The site will either resolve the problem itself or provide steps for you to follow. Once you complete the Diagnostic without error, click the "Validate Windows" button.

5) Retry the Windows Update site.

If you were able to "Validate Windows" at the Diagnostic Site, but you are still having problems with the Windows Update site, there may be a problem with the Windows Update files, on your computer. Try the below steps:

6) Click 'Start' button, then 'Run...'

7) In the Run window, Type: cmd  <click OK>

8) In the command prompt, type the following command: Net stop wuauserv  <press Enter>

9) In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows and delete the Softwaredistribution folder.

10) In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\system32 and delete the Softwaredistribution folder.

11) Back at the command prompt, type the following:  Net start wuauserv <press Enter>

12) reboot and try Windows Update again.

(note: the next time Windows Update does a scan for updates, the Softwaredistribution folders (and the included files) will be recreated)

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, January 14, 2008 6:12 PM