Windows Home Server 2003 not working with Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Team,

My Windows 8.1 PC is not recognizing my Windows Home Server anylonger. I am in the home Network and Can see other PCs but not the Server. Also the connector is not able to be installed due to the Server not being recognized. Anybody with the same issue?

Regards
    Alexander

Thursday, July 4, 2013 7:20 AM

All replies

• I would not expect that this will ever work. Windows Home Server V1 is no longer supported, and Windows 8.1 hasn't been released yet.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, July 5, 2013 10:49 PM
  • My understanding is that WHS v1 is supported, like other Windows Server 2003 products, until 2015. 

Alexander, your problem can be solved by following these instructions here and then rebooting your Windows 8.x PC:

http://superuser.com/questions/509759/how-to-get-read-write-access-to-whs-v1-shares-from-windows-8-using-a-microsoft-a

Saturday, September 28, 2013 3:02 PM
  • My understanding is that WHS v1 is supported, like other Windows Server 2003 products, until 2015.

Sorry, V1 is a consumer product, and is no longer supported. See here. Windows Home Server 2011 will be supported through June of 2016.
    Alexander, your problem can be solved by following these instructions here and then rebooting your Windows 8.x PC:

http://superuser.com/questions/509759/how-to-get-read-write-access-to-whs-v1-shares-from-windows-8-using-a-microsoft-a

That is probably not the cause of the OP's issue; see where he is unable to reinstall the connector. His problem could be a configuration issue resulting from the upgrade to Windows 8.1, or it could be an incompatibility with that desktop OS. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:36 PM
  • Ken, either way, WHS v1 is still actively receiving support updates through Windows Update, and I can confirm that WHS v1 and Windows 8.1 work very well together, including the connector software and also the backup functionality.

However, I had to follow the tutorial I linked to in my previous post to re-establish authentication with my WHS v1 hosted shares, as the authentication model has changed from Windows 8 to 8.1.

P.S.: The same applies to all SMB / Samba style network shares btw -- after the upgrade from 8 to 8.1, none of my network shares could be accessed from 8.1 anymore, and I had to create separate "Windows Credentials" in 8.1 for each of my SMB servers.
    • Edited by ObiYawn Monday, September 30, 2013 4:24 AM
    Monday, September 30, 2013 4:17 AM