Brand new copy of Windows XP Professional not passing WGA validation RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought a copy of WinXP Pro brand new and factory sealed so I can downgrade my HP laptop from Vista to XP. The installation process goes smoothly, in fact I'm using my laptop with XP to write this post now. However, when I try to use Windows Update, the key doesn't pass genuine validation. Please help.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Validation Code: 8
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-7Q9K7-KR4XP-GG4XQ
    Windows Product Key Hash: jVzBJIfzeL422CU3KltWOtV4KNg=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-3773697-23300
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {29441CA9-9B52-4571-A754-FD1E01362153}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.28.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{29441CA9-9B52-4571-A754-FD1E01362153}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-GG4XQ</PKey><PID>55274-640-3773697-23300</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1214440339-1580818891-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC    </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>F.58     </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080616000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>E04C31AF0184607A</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 6:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Yaluen,

Thank you for taking the time to be so thorough in you response to the posts asking you questions.

If you'll note in your mgadiag report, it says that the Windows License Type is "Volume."  If you look two lines above you'll see the Windows Product ID number.  Note the second group of digits is "640."  These two items are indicative of an installation of XP Pro being done with a CD and Product Key written to conform to "Volume Licensing" standards.  Such a CD should have "Not for Retail or OEM Distribution" written in block letters in the hologram, or should have the green silkscreen over print as in the picture I posted in my first post.

Yet, the CD you received in the package has neither and looks just like a retail CD should, including as you said (the resolution of the picture is not great enough to tell on the screen) having the hologram itself embedded within the plastic of the CD rather than on a thin label affixed to the top of the CD.

The giveaway on the CD, though, is the last line of the setupp.ini file, it has as its last three digits "270" and that number is only used on Volume Licensing CDs, along with the numbers 640 thru 649.  A genuine retail CD would have almost any other numbers in that position except 270 and 640-649.

Keep in mind that ONLY the Microsoft-contracted crypto lab is authorized by Microsoft to make the final determination of whether your materials qualify as the "high-quality" materials needed in order for Microsoft to send you a free replacement.  Having said that, I can tell you person-to-person that, based on what I've read on this message board for more than two years, your materials "should" qualify as hi-quality counterfeits and you "should" get the free replacement from Microsoft.

But in order to follow the Microsoft procedure, you will have to send them the materials, and that puts you in a bind if you want to pursue a claim thru PayPal and/or eBay for a refund, because PayPal and/or eBay will want you to either send the merchandise back to the seller, or, will want you to send th merchandise to them...either way, you'll be out the merchandise.

So if you want your money back, you'll have to follow PayPal/eBay claims procedures and send back the merchandise.  If you want the free replacement from Microsoft, you have to send the merchandise to Microsoft and hope you qualify for the free replacement.

Thanks again for posting the great photos and Good Luck with the resolution!  :-)
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, August 1, 2008 4:22 PM
  • Yaluen,

Echoing Dan's words thank you very much for all the great information. Thank you for filing the piracy report as well. Also I have forwarded your information up channels. Take care...

Stephen Holm, MS
    Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, August 1, 2008 5:43 PM
    Friday, August 1, 2008 5:39 PM

All replies

• Yaluen,

Where did you purchase the factory sealed Windows XP from? Currently Windows XP Profession product key installed on this computer was not assigned by Microsoft. The key is counterfeit and was most likely generated by a key generator. Product keys are only allowed to be used on one computer unless otherwise specified in the end user licensing agreement (EULA).   Use your favorite search engine and paste in the product key.  Below could be a possible scenario.   

You will need to uninstall Windows XP Professional  before any further complications occur from being non-genuine. As a customer there are several options available for you to get Genuine. For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine .  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take. Also please review the Validation Advisor for further guidance at:

https://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/ValidationHelp.aspx

Yaluen, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy. Print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the Invalid Product Key. Request they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy. Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you, who have become victims, to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  . Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by yaluen Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:03 PM
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:17 PM
  • I bought the copy from a seller off eBay. I still think it's highly unlikely that this copy is counterfeit. As noted, it was factory sealed. It also has the COA on the box, the folder with all documents, the orange sticker with a key and barcode, and the holographic installation CD. I can't think of anything that can be the problem with this copy of XP except maybe a printing mistake with the key that's printed on the folder. Is there anything I can do so I can start running my computer using Windows XP immediately?
    • Edited by yaluen Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:34 PM spelling
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:14 PM
  • yaluen said:

I bought the copy from a seller off eBay. I still think it's highly unlikely that this copy is counterfeit. As noted, it was factory sealed. It also has the COA on the box, the folder with all documents, the orange sticker with a key and barcode, and the holographic installation CD. I can't think of anything that can be the problem with this copy of XP except maybe a printing mistake with the key that's printed on the folder. Is there anything I can do so I can start running my computer using Windows XP immediately?

Unfortuantely, close to 50% of all Microsoft software sold on auction web sites, such as eBay, is counterfeit.  Your's appears to be a high quality counterfeit copy that looks genuine, but it is not.  You were apparently sold a Volume License copy of Windows XP Professional with an illegal Product Key, likely generated with an illegal product key generator.  You need to contact the Ebay seller and demand a refund ASAP!

Please review the Windows Comparison Guide:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/windows/default.aspx

Please note: I am not a Microsoft employee...only a voluntary forum contributor.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:16 PM
  • Yaluen,

Have you contacted EBay and PayPal regarding this problem? I am not sure what criteria they require regarding refunds as you will need to work directly with them.  Next do you have a digital camera or can you borrow one?  Please take a snap shot of the WGA Notification you seen when Windows starts up. You could also take snapshots of the results of the Validate Windows and Validate Office scans here:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ . Take a snapshot of the MGA Diagnostic Report Results. Ask EBay for a fax number then fax both documents to them showing what you are experiencing.  Also you may post them to a free picture posting site and email them a link so they may see what you are experiencing. Either way please seek guidance from both EBay and PayPal.  

Log onto EBay and click onto the Community Link located in the upper right hand corner, then Discussion Boards, then locate PayPal.  Search a little to see if you can find a similar situation.  If no quick results, then post a question in that PayPal discussion board, describe your situation and ask if anyone there has filed a similar claim and how did PayPal end up deciding.

Please contact them directly and explain what has occurred. Next try and fax them your MGA Diagnostic report. Do you have a digital camera or can you borrow one?

Yaluen are you willing to work with us? If so I have some questions maybe you can provide us with some answers. Here they are and I do appreciate your post and help: 

- Please compare the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker against others located on http://www.howtotell.com . Does the COA contain a 25 digit product key? Let us know if it appears genuine or non-genuine.  Next I highly encourage filing a filing a piracy.  Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ .  There will be a link off this site for filing the report. Please follow all of the directions and provide all information about the seller as possible.  Also have you attempted to call and/or email the person whom you purchased this system from? Request he provide you with the genuine versions of the product. Also let him know you are filing a piracy report with Microsoft and will be working with all appropriate channels.

-  Was this an individual or an actual business selling the product on EBay? 

-  Did you receive the original software media disc, proper packaging and COA with the purchase?

-  Research and see if the person has an actual store front as well verses selling as an individual. Next please try and see if he has sold other Microsoft Windows. Maybe he has a high negative feedback. Maybe other people have filed against this customer already. 

-  Please provide EBay Alias contact information and direct EBay link where you purchased the product to us.

-  Please post the auction number for what you bought on eBay

Thank you very much. Please provide us with answers and any other information which may be helpful.

Stephen Holm, MS

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, July 30, 2008 11:20 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by yaluen Friday, August 1, 2008 4:54 AM
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:15 PM
  • Yaluen,

As Carey and Stephen have posted, the current installation of XP Pro on your computer is a nongenuine installation.  "Invalid Product Key" means that the Product Key was generated by a program that mimics the algorithm used by Microsoft to generate Product Keys, but because the exact product key that you received is not on Microsoft's internal list of issued PKs, it is judged to be Invalid.

Please do the following:

1.  Look on the CD you received.  Are the words "not for retail or oem distribution" printed in the hologram?  Is there green silkscreening on the CD, like this one?  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/static/images/vol_licensing/cd_win_1.jpg

2.  Look very closely at the CD.  Is the hologram printed on a very thin label affixed to the top surface of the CD, or is it embedded within the plastic of the CD?

3.  Insert the CD into the computer and navigate to the \i386 folder, and find the setupp.ini file.  This file is a small text file with two sections.  Please copy the last section of the setupp.ini file and include it in your response.

Answering these questions will help us compare your CD to see if it has some of the characteristics of known counterfeit CDs.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:45 AM
  • Thanks for the responses everyone! I've filed a counterfeit report at the Genuine Microsoft Software page since my second post before reading your replies. Thanks to the link to the How To Tell page posted by Stephen and Carey, I think I've figured out the problem with my copy of Windows XP Pro SP2. As far as I can tell, the holographic installation disc seems to be genuine; it has all the features that the Windows Comparison Guide points out. I wasn't too far off when I said that there might have been a printing mistake with the key as apparently the Proof of Licence Label is the problem. Considering my copy of Windows XP Pro includes SP2, the discrepancy between my label and a genuine one is that it's missing the security thread that should say "Microsoft Genuine" as detailed here: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=ar_pol. I'm guessing it was printed off by a counterfeiter and stuck onto the folder. Since it's a counterfeit key anyways, I've posted a pic of my label here: http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/4208/keybq6.jpg. The COA is suspect too; the product name is misspelled as "Windows SP Profssional English" (http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4648/coaup5.jpg) and it doesn't look quite like the picture on this page: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=ar_coa_retail. Just for reference here is a pic of my disc (http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2149/cdwb7.jpg) and a pic of everything that came in my "factory sealed box" (http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5959/setny0.jpg). Please double check for me if these look genuine so I have more information that I can relay to eBay, Paypal, and the seller.

Anyways, since the problem is with the Licence Label, am I right in assuming I can't receive a complimentary Windows Genuine Advantage Kit that was alluded to when I filed the counterfeit report? I still have the disc, box with COA, and Licence Label as I haven't sent any of it off to Microsoft Legal. Should I just keep these things? If it helps, my Counterfeit Report Number is DTV6-G7EL and Code is 362153. If the installation disc checks out as genuine, how can I obtain a legitimate key for my copy of Windows XP Professional?

And to answer your questions:
    -No, I haven't contacted eBay and Paypal nor the seller yet. I want to be clear on my situation first so I came here first.
    -It was an individual, but he runs a eBay store. TUMI-Promotions I think it was.
    -The seller, jomupa, has 100% feedback so I think this is an isolated incident with his supplier unknowingly giving him a counterfeit copy of Windows XP. He has sold many copies of the same product with all positive feedback, although none of it says anything about their copies of Windows being genuine.
    -Here's the link to the eBay item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130236763403.
    -The hologram is definitely embedded with the plastic of the disc.
    -Here are the contents of the setupp.ini:
    [Pid]
    ExtraData=796674736977656D7A622E385892A4
    Pid=55274270

Edit: One more question. Does a genuine copy of the installation allow Windows to be activated using a counterfeit key? That was what I was able to do; so if not, it might be some indication that the disc is counterfeit too.

• Edited by yaluen Friday, August 1, 2008 7:03 AM additional question
    Friday, August 1, 2008 6:55 AM
  • Hi Yaluen,

Thank you for taking the time to be so thorough in you response to the posts asking you questions.

If you'll note in your mgadiag report, it says that the Windows License Type is "Volume."  If you look two lines above you'll see the Windows Product ID number.  Note the second group of digits is "640."  These two items are indicative of an installation of XP Pro being done with a CD and Product Key written to conform to "Volume Licensing" standards.  Such a CD should have "Not for Retail or OEM Distribution" written in block letters in the hologram, or should have the green silkscreen over print as in the picture I posted in my first post.

Yet, the CD you received in the package has neither and looks just like a retail CD should, including as you said (the resolution of the picture is not great enough to tell on the screen) having the hologram itself embedded within the plastic of the CD rather than on a thin label affixed to the top of the CD.

The giveaway on the CD, though, is the last line of the setupp.ini file, it has as its last three digits "270" and that number is only used on Volume Licensing CDs, along with the numbers 640 thru 649.  A genuine retail CD would have almost any other numbers in that position except 270 and 640-649.

Keep in mind that ONLY the Microsoft-contracted crypto lab is authorized by Microsoft to make the final determination of whether your materials qualify as the "high-quality" materials needed in order for Microsoft to send you a free replacement.  Having said that, I can tell you person-to-person that, based on what I've read on this message board for more than two years, your materials "should" qualify as hi-quality counterfeits and you "should" get the free replacement from Microsoft.

But in order to follow the Microsoft procedure, you will have to send them the materials, and that puts you in a bind if you want to pursue a claim thru PayPal and/or eBay for a refund, because PayPal and/or eBay will want you to either send the merchandise back to the seller, or, will want you to send th merchandise to them...either way, you'll be out the merchandise.

So if you want your money back, you'll have to follow PayPal/eBay claims procedures and send back the merchandise.  If you want the free replacement from Microsoft, you have to send the merchandise to Microsoft and hope you qualify for the free replacement.

Thanks again for posting the great photos and Good Luck with the resolution!  :-)
    Friday, August 1, 2008 4:22 PM
  • Yaluen,

Echoing Dan's words thank you very much for all the great information. Thank you for filing the piracy report as well. Also I have forwarded your information up channels. Take care...

Stephen Holm, MS
    Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, August 1, 2008 5:43 PM
    Friday, August 1, 2008 5:39 PM
  • Hi all, this is what I've decided to do. I'll seek a refund from the seller first. From what I've read, eBay and PayPal only get involved when the problem can't be resolved by the buyer and seller. If I can't get a refund without sending back the product, I'll be sending it to Microsoft instead. After buying this copy, my budget right now doesn't really allow me to spend more money on this. A genuine copy of Windows is more important to me in the present.

Thanks again for all your guidance. I'll post again after I've contacted the seller.

Best,
    Alan

PS: I just wanted to know if the counterfeit report has some sort of an expiry period after which I would have to refile the report?
    • Edited by yaluen Sunday, August 3, 2008 4:21 AM additional question
    Sunday, August 3, 2008 3:29 AM
  • I have just purchased from an Amazon Seller (Amazon.co.uk) a 'used' copy of Windows XP Pro SP2 which was offered as a retail boxed copy unopened in original wrapping. I was hoping to install it in Parallels on my iMac, but when it kept asking for a Volume Licence Key i realised that there had to be something wrong. I found this forum and realised that the picture of the lable that yaluen published from his counterfeit copy is identical to mine, so now I know why it won't install. :-(

I have to say that the box is pretty good, including the COA which does appear to have the GENUINE strip in it. Only by seeing the mis-spelling of XP Profssional English and the fact that the lable on the CD is slightly misplaced makes me now realise that it is junk.

I've asked the seller for a full refund and will also file a piracy report (once I get the refund!)

Brian
    Monday, August 11, 2008 11:38 PM