Issue with color management in ICE RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

I've just downloaded the last version of ICE (2.0.3.0 x64 on Windows 7) and I love the new features! Unfortunately, I encountered two issues:

1/ The part of the screen where the picture is displayed is flickering (in all of the four tabs of the stitching process). This is not a big issue but it can get annoying. It is as if the display was getting refreshed every second or so.

2/ There seems to be a bigger issue with color management. I've seen multiple threads about this online but no real solution. I tested two different workflows and both present symptoms of the issue:

Workflow A

Import some DNG files created by Lightroom (in my case, converted from my original NEF files from a Nikon D5100). If I'm correct, Lightroom is using ProPhoto 16bits for its DNG. Colors are displayed correctly during the ICE workflow. At the end of the workflow, save to disk as "TIFF" (I tried PSB as well and the same issue occured). Open the generated file in your file browser or in Photoshop or in Lightroom: the colors are wrong (saturated).

For some reason, the color profile used by the file and the detected one are different. According to Photoshop (Edit -> Assign color profile), "ProPhoto RGB" is detected. When trying to assign other color profiles it turns out that "Adobe RGB" gives correct colors.

I realize that ICE relies on a DNG codec to read the input files, so FYI, I use this one : http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5495

Workflow B

Add ICE as an external editor in Lightroom (Edit -> Preferences -> External Editing) and specify that you want to send TIFF with ProPhoto RGB 16 bits to it. Send some photos to ICE (Right click -> Edit in -> ICE). In the entire ICE workflow, colors are wrong (desaturated, blue-ish). Save to disk as TIFF. Open the generated file in a file browser or in Photoshop or in Lightroom: colors are correct!

So I guess this will be my workaround for now, since I don't do any color correction in ICE, but I still believe there is something wrong in ICE's color management.

Saturday, April 11, 2015 7:13 PM

Answers

• Thanks for writing this up.

A) I'm not sure what is happening with the DNG codec. One guess is that this codec provides the jpeg sRGB thumbnail to ICE instead of the processed RAW. Is the output composite size "correct" or does it seem small compared with the source images?

B) This is consistent with how ICE works. ICE does no color management, in other words ICE assumes that the contents of the source files has the same color profile as your monitor. This works in an all sRGB workflow (sRGB images and sRGB monitor). It doesn't work if the monitor and source images have different profiles. ICE does copy the profile from the source images to the output composite, so as you noticed the image in ICE looks incorrect (for non sRGB), but when you load the result into a properly color managed app (e.g. Lightroom) the colors are correct.  

We do have a work item to fix color management in ICE, but not sure when we will get to it.

Monday, April 13, 2015 11:27 PM

All replies

• Thanks for writing this up.

A) I'm not sure what is happening with the DNG codec. One guess is that this codec provides the jpeg sRGB thumbnail to ICE instead of the processed RAW. Is the output composite size "correct" or does it seem small compared with the source images?

B) This is consistent with how ICE works. ICE does no color management, in other words ICE assumes that the contents of the source files has the same color profile as your monitor. This works in an all sRGB workflow (sRGB images and sRGB monitor). It doesn't work if the monitor and source images have different profiles. ICE does copy the profile from the source images to the output composite, so as you noticed the image in ICE looks incorrect (for non sRGB), but when you load the result into a properly color managed app (e.g. Lightroom) the colors are correct.  

We do have a work item to fix color management in ICE, but not sure when we will get to it.

Monday, April 13, 2015 11:27 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Thank you for your answer!

A) Are you talking about the pixel size? It looks good to me, merging 5 photos gives me a composite that is 4 times bigger than a single picture. If you are talking about the file size, when I export this composite (5 photos) as TIFF, I get a 59 MB file and each original photo is about 14.5 MB.

B) This makes a lot of sense now. I will keep using this workflow until you guys have the time to work on this. Thanks!

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 5:05 PM