Printers Removed by onecare RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Doing some maintenance on my sons pc. Logged into my admin account and got two messages from onecare - "due to changes in the host pc, printer ********* has been removed from your printer list" - I've put the asteriks in in place of the printer name, problem is that there wasn't any change on the host (my) pc!

I reinstalled

my home setup is 3 pcs (win XP Pro) and 2 laptops (1 is win xp home the other is win 2k), I have 2 printers attached to my pc - a all in one and a photo printer, all connected via a usb cable. The only change to the host pc is a major update from onecare. All the machines (other than the host) connect to the printers via my network.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Tom

Saturday, August 18, 2007 9:06 AM

Answers

• Hi All,

As part of last upgrade, we changed Printer Sharing behavior to seek approval before installing the printer on a machine. To accomodate this change, as a one time thing, printers installed by previous build will get uninstalled, you will get a prompt to approve installation and once you approve printers will be installed for all users.

Hope that explains the mysterious removal dialogs. Please keep the feedback coming if you see any more issues.

Thanks

Neeraj

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 4:41 AM

All replies

• This happened to me and the cause for this was the Host PC was changed to Public Zone instead of Home and Work Zone.  Check yours and see if this is the case.  In Public Zone Printer Sharing is disabled.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Thanks Ken. It seems that onecare had changed the zone to public (it was home/work prior to the last update), this change seems to have been based on the fact that i had vmware workstation on my machine with 2 network adapters, I had to uninstall vm workstation before it would allow the zone to change back to work/home.

This is a pain as vm workstation is quite useful.

Tom

Sunday, August 19, 2007 3:25 PM
  • I believe that Neeraj and the firewall team are investigating your scenario, Tom.

-steve

Monday, August 20, 2007 1:34 AM
  • Thanks Steve, it certainly seems that the issue is with the virtual network adapters, I haven't tried Microsoft's virtual pc yet - hopefully i'll try tonight.

Tom

Monday, August 20, 2007 11:08 AM
  • Hi All,

As part of last upgrade, we changed Printer Sharing behavior to seek approval before installing the printer on a machine. To accomodate this change, as a one time thing, printers installed by previous build will get uninstalled, you will get a prompt to approve installation and once you approve printers will be installed for all users.

Hope that explains the mysterious removal dialogs. Please keep the feedback coming if you see any more issues.

Thanks

Neeraj

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 4:41 AM
  • Sorry to moan, and I do appreciate that you cannot tell us of all the changes in a upgrade, but it would have been helpful to be pre-advised of this, as to suddenly get a message on your pcs that printers are being deleted because of a change on the host machine (when you are unaware of any changes) is a bit worrying.

Moan over!

Its a nice feature to approve installation and in itself is much more simpler than going through the normal add printer routine and will be apppreciated by non techies.

Tom

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 6:10 PM
  • Yes, these kind of surprises we don't need! :-) I know that posting a change list is not typical during OneCare betas, but things that will cause confusion really should be pre-announced.

-steve

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:02 AM
  •  

Apologies for not being upfront.

Neeraj

Thursday, August 23, 2007 5:08 AM
  • "you will get a prompt to approve installation and once you approve printers will be installed for all users."

When I installed 1Care all my printers were removed. I never got a prompt, that I am aware of, to reinstall any printers.

So, How do I get my printers back? Some are networked, one is local on a USB port, and one is the MS Fax printer. I have only installed 1Care on 1 PC as I am afraid to try another.

Thanks,

Lou

Saturday, February 2, 2008 6:12 PM
  •  IndyLou wrote:

"you will get a prompt to approve installation and once you approve printers will be installed for all users."

When I installed 1Care all my printers were removed. I never got a prompt, that I am aware of, to reinstall any printers.

So, How do I get my printers back? Some are networked, one is local on a USB port, and one is the MS Fax printer. I have only installed 1Care on 1 PC as I am afraid to try another.

Thanks,

Lou

Lou, your quoted text refers to the Printer sharing feature in OneCare. If you previously had printers shared, they should still work post OneCare install. OneCare does not remove printers that were previously installed. However, if your network is identified as Public, and not "home or work" file and printer sharing is disabled by OneCare and network printers will be unavailable to you.

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 6:06 PM