Upload fails RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a folder where I want to share an Outlook, "*.pst" files. When I try to upload a .pst file the completion bar advances to the end but then the message comes as "Unable to upload the following file.." Very peculiar I have no problem to upload a image or a text file in the same folder. Any ideas?

I guess I found the cause but not the reason. If you remove the extension of the file you CAN upload it. However, if thererafter you add the .pst extension you get the message that "File with extension .pst are not shared across devices." Of course you can use that file and import it in Outlook even without the extension. But why all this contortionist's game?

• Edited by Algesoft Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:19 AM workaround
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 10:46 PM

Answers

• LM has a list of file types that are excluded from sync.  .pst is one of them.  If you search this forum you will find a number of discussions about the difficulties and/or ,erits of syncing pst files.  Here is a quote from the Mesh help system on excluded files:

You cannot synchronize or share the following with Live Mesh:

• Files containing obscene or copyrighted material. Copying or sharing unauthorized materials, including materials that you did not create or you do not have the rights necessary for use, is a violation of the Windows Live terms of use. See the Microsoft Copyright Notice and FAQ.
    • Files whose names begin with a tilde (~)
    • desktop.ini
    • thumbs.db
    • Hidden files
    • Windows Systems folders
    • Your Desktop directory folder (for example, C:\users\[myusername]\Desktop on Windows Vista or C:\Documents and Settings\[myusername]\Desktop on Windows XP)
    • Files and folders stored on removable media (such as an external hard drive, flash drive, or USB drive)
    • Files and folders stored on mapped network drives

Live Mesh also blocks files that have the following file extensions:

• .bak
    • .gfs
    • .laccdb
    • .lnk
    • .mbf
    • .mny
    • .mpc
    • .pst
    • .sav
    • .tmp
    • .wlx
    Note

The .wlx extension represents files that have not finished synchronizing in a Live Mesh folder. Typically, the extension will go away once synchronization is complete. However, in some cases, the extension may persist if you have exceeded the storage limit on your Live Desktop.

Cheers,

Trevor

Thursday, May 6, 2010 10:56 AM

All replies

• LM has a list of file types that are excluded from sync.  .pst is one of them.  If you search this forum you will find a number of discussions about the difficulties and/or ,erits of syncing pst files.  Here is a quote from the Mesh help system on excluded files:

You cannot synchronize or share the following with Live Mesh:

• Files containing obscene or copyrighted material. Copying or sharing unauthorized materials, including materials that you did not create or you do not have the rights necessary for use, is a violation of the Windows Live terms of use. See the Microsoft Copyright Notice and FAQ.
    • Files whose names begin with a tilde (~)
    • desktop.ini
    • thumbs.db
    • Hidden files
    • Windows Systems folders
    • Your Desktop directory folder (for example, C:\users\[myusername]\Desktop on Windows Vista or C:\Documents and Settings\[myusername]\Desktop on Windows XP)
    • Files and folders stored on removable media (such as an external hard drive, flash drive, or USB drive)
    • Files and folders stored on mapped network drives

Live Mesh also blocks files that have the following file extensions:

• .bak
    • .gfs
    • .laccdb
    • .lnk
    • .mbf
    • .mny
    • .mpc
    • .pst
    • .sav
    • .tmp
    • .wlx
    Note

The .wlx extension represents files that have not finished synchronizing in a Live Mesh folder. Typically, the extension will go away once synchronization is complete. However, in some cases, the extension may persist if you have exceeded the storage limit on your Live Desktop.

Cheers,

Trevor

Thursday, May 6, 2010 10:56 AM
  • this exclusion thing has to go away, become optional, whatever, I want it gone. It is a wrong solution to a problem that doesn't exsit. I understand that it might make no sense to synchronize some of these file types, but doing it based on extension is wrong.

Monday, January 3, 2011 10:36 PM
  • this exclusion thing has to go away, become optional, whatever, I want it gone. It is a wrong solution to a problem that doesn't exsit. I understand that it might make no sense to synchronize some of these file types, but doing it based on extension is wrong.

If you're referring to Live Mesh beta, Live Mesh beta will cease to exist after March 2011. However, I think you might be referring to Windows Live Mesh, so go here:  http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24 for the Windows Live Mesh forums and/or post your feedback at http://feedback.live.com I'm sure that others also wish to see the exclusions based on extensions eliminated. Note, however, that some exclusions by extension (and location) are indeed legitimate.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 5:17 PM