Advice Needed On Backup For Dual Boot System RRS feed

• Question

• I'm going to change my main (Vista) desktop, from which I originally set up my HP MediaSmart WHS, to dual boot with Windows 7. From then on I will use the Windows 7 installation on the machine for daily use and the Vista installaion only occasionally.

I've read that if you dual boot as described above, give the Windows 7 installation the same computer name as the Vista installation and have WHS back up set up it will understandbly confuse the home server.

Given the above what is the simplest thing to do with regard to computer backups from WHS once I have dual-booted?

Would it be to uninstall the connector and HP MediSmart software from the Vista installation, remove the computer from the WHS backup list, give the Windows 7 installation the same computer name as the Vista installation, install the connector and HP MediSmart software in Windows 7 and then configure backup for the computer in WHS?

Saturday, November 7, 2009 9:45 AM

Answers

• I'm going to change my main (Vista) desktop, from which I originally set up my HP MediaSmart WHS, to dual boot with Windows 7. From then on I will use the Windows 7 installation on the machine for daily use and the Vista installaion only occasionally.

I've read that if you dual boot as described above, give the Windows 7 installation the same computer name as the Vista installation and have WHS back up set up it will understandbly confuse the home server.

I wouldn't think it should be a problem because the computer name has nothing to do with identification as far as WHS is concerned (it's driven by a unique GUID that is generated when you install the Connector software).  The only downside to doing what you want is that you are using 2 of the available 10 computer slots to backup 1 physical computer.

Given the above what is the simplest thing to do with regard to computer backups from WHS once I have dual-booted?

Would it be to uninstall the connector and HP MediSmart software from the Vista installation, remove the computer from the WHS backup list, give the Windows 7 installation the same computer name as the Vista installation, install the connector and HP MediSmart software in Windows 7 and then configure backup for the computer in WHS?
    That's what I would do (install the Connector software on the OS you will use most, then backup everything under that one installation, including the other OS partition/drive).
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, November 7, 2009 2:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by MalcH Monday, November 9, 2009 1:56 PM
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 2:24 PM

All replies

I wouldn't think it should be a problem because the computer name has nothing to do with identification as far as WHS is concerned (it's driven by a unique GUID that is generated when you install the Connector software).  The only downside to doing what you want is that you are using 2 of the available 10 computer slots to backup 1 physical computer.

That's what I would do (install the Connector software on the OS you will use most, then backup everything under that one installation, including the other OS partition/drive).
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, November 7, 2009 2:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by MalcH Monday, November 9, 2009 1:56 PM
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Thanks kariya21, I would just like to keep this one open for another 48hrs and see if anyone else has any comments.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 4:52 PM
  • I will mark your answer as the reply now kariya21, many thnaks.

In the light of all the backup/connection problems highlighted on this forum after users have upgraded to Win 7 x64 I've decided to postpone my installation of Windows 7 x64 until after PP3.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 1:56 PM
  • One note regarding multi-boot computers: if you have several operating systems installed on a computer, you generally need to backup and restore all bootable partitions at the same time. If you don't do so, your computer may fail to boot after a restore.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 9, 2009 5:39 PM
  • I also posted this on another thread, but it applies here as well (and its just easier to copy/paste it here again rather than link to the other):

I've just gone through a similar scenario:

Staring point:
    Windows XP installed on main partition

Mid point:
    Windows 7 added as dual boot (though, used Boot to VHD feature of Ultimate)

Desired end point was:
    Windows 7 restored as only OS on main partition

I had backed up the entire machine to WHS as XP only.
    I had backed up only the Win 7 drive to WHS after getting to dual boot.

Problem I had was this:
    After restoring the Win 7 backup to the primary partition, I was left without a boot loader.

The reason that happened (and could NOT be fixed by the Win 7 recovery feature), is that the original partition never had any boot info on it (it was all on the primary partition).

I was able to fix it by copying bootmgr over (yes, it didn't exist after the restore), as well as a boot.ini that was properly set up.

After that -- things were great!

Except, be sure to reboot the machine *prior* to making the backup that you'll want to restore, or else any registry settings that were modified since the last startup won't be saved in the backup and you'll have to make those changes again.

Cheers
    Mike
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 9:40 PM
  • boot.ini is not used by Windows 7. You need bootmgr and the /boot folder.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:30 PM