Backup of external drive RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to find out how to get onecare to backup an external drive to another external drive.  When I go to configure folders and expand "My Computer" it only shows the C drive - not any of the other USB connected drives.  Can it be done?

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:39 PM

Answers

• OneCare can only backup the data from an internally connected drive. Removable drives are not valid sources for data to be backed up for the OneCare backup process.

-steve

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 3:12 PM

All replies

• OneCare can only backup the data from an internally connected drive. Removable drives are not valid sources for data to be backed up for the OneCare backup process.

-steve

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 3:12 PM
  • That's a pretty fundamental flaw in the backup process.  It certainly renders this function useless for me, and therefore degrades one of the key values of OneCare.  May need to look for an alternative product.  Too bad, cause otherwise I really have liked the offering - even if it is kind of expensive.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 7:00 PM
  • I don't disagree that it is a limitation, but I don't see it as the biggest problem with backup. Personally, I see more value in the protection of OneCare - virus/spyware, firewall, tune-up. As for the expense, it's quite reasonable for 3 PCs, though a bit expensive if you pay full retail for a single PC.

You might want to look at some free backup solutions. Personally, I like SyncToy to keep folders in sync between multiple PCs and also use it to sync a few folders between drives. There's no compression, but it works quite well.

Download details: SyncToy v1.4

-steve

Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:24 AM