Cannot change WHS 2011 server name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I recently installed the WHS 2011 (RTM, download from Technet). When I set it up, I gave it a temporary name. Now I would like to rename the server, but at the System Properties | Computer Name  dialog, the Change... button is greyed out. Under the Change... button there is the following:
    Note: the identification of the computer cannot be changed because: -The Certification Authority Service is installed on this computer.

Is there a way to change the server name?

I would like to change the workgroup name as well, though, I read that the server ignores workgroups (why leave it in, if it isn't used?).

Thanks for any insight, David Jonathan

Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:06 PM

Answers

• On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 23:06:16 +0000, David.Jonathan wrote:

Reinstall.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Transistor:  A sibling, opposite of transbrother.

Friday, April 29, 2011 12:25 AM

All replies

• On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 23:06:16 +0000, David.Jonathan wrote:

Reinstall.

Paul Adare
    Transistor:  A sibling, opposite of transbrother.

Friday, April 29, 2011 12:25 AM
  • And the feature where it is imposible to change a server name is documented where?
    Friday, April 29, 2011 3:55 AM
  • Since it appears I will need to reinstall my WHS 2001 server so that I can change its's name, can anyone point me to the recovery proceedures for rebuilding a server and recovering all of the data that is now supposed to be backed up?
    Friday, April 29, 2011 3:58 AM
  • On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 03:55:02 +0000, David.Jonathan wrote:

And the feature where it is imposible to change a server name is documented where?

I would assume that it is mentioned on the page where you get the option to
    set the computer name in the first place. Since I design and deploy
    Certificate Services solutions for a living, I was well aware of the
    inability to rename a computer that has Certificate Services installed on
    it so I didn't pay much attention to that screen during the install.

Paul Adare
    Computer programmers do it byte by byte.

Friday, April 29, 2011 9:45 AM
  • On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 03:58:55 +0000, David.Jonathan wrote:

Since it appears I will need to reinstall my WHS 2001 server so that I can change its's name, can anyone point me to the recovery proceedures for rebuilding a server and recovering all of the data that is now supposed to be backed up?

Take a server backup that includes the data you want to restore. Once the
    backup is complete, remove the drive containing the backup, rebuild, then
    restore.

Paul Adare
    Apple:  Typically, a device used to seduce men.  Usually equipped with
    display screens and/or worms.

Friday, April 29, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Paul, Thanks for the help,

Here is what I learned about changing the name of a WHS 2011 server.

First, I did try and turn off Active Directory Certificate Services. After doing this and rebooting, I was able to change the computer name and the workgroup name of my WHS 2011 server. However, after doing this I was not able to access the server dashboard. It would start to launch, and then just give up and not open.  (All of this was performed directly on the server, not via a remote connection.) This experience was enough time invested, for me to move on to a clean reinstalling of the server.

I already had made backups of the server, so I went immediately to reinstallation of the OS. I performed a clean, new installation on my main hard drive. When the setup screen showed up where I was asked to provide a server name and password, I stopped and checked to see if there was any indication or warning that I would never be able to change the name of the server after this. There was no indication that I could see that I name I chose now would never be changeable. The default choice for server name is SERVER.

Also in regard to workgroup names, I see that the default workgroup is WORKGROUP, and, this is not changeable during or after setup. I also have noticed that the workgroup name was used as part of the identifying string in WHS 2011 certificates. Perhaps if I had not changed the workgroup name I might have had better success changing the server name. I doubt I will try again.

I was able to restore all of my data with no problems using the built in restore utility.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:17 PM