none
Duplicate computer entries in WHS Console after reformatting PC RRS feed

• Question

• I just formatted one of my computers and reinstalled windows.  After installing the WHS connector on the computer, this computer now shows up twice in the WHS Connector.  (Once for the old windows install, once for the new.)  Is it possible to combine these?  I don't want to delete the old backups, but I also don't want the computer listed twice in the console.  (And eventually bugging me about not having been backed up recently, etc.)
    Friday, February 6, 2009 1:40 PM

Answers

• Gai-jin said:

I just formatted one of my computers and reinstalled windows.  After installing the WHS connector on the computer, this computer now shows up twice in the WHS Connector.  (Once for the old windows install, once for the new.)

Correct.  That's because you didn't restore from your latest backup of the "old" computer.  WHS keeps track of the computer by using a unique ID.  Your new installation created a new unique ID.

Gai-jin said:

Is it possible to combine these?

No.

Gai-jin said:

I don't want to delete the old backups, but I also don't want the computer listed twice in the console.  (And eventually bugging me about not having been backed up recently, etc.)

If you don't want to delete your old backups, my suggestion would be to restore your latest backup from your "old" computer, then delete the "new" computer from WHS.

Friday, February 6, 2009 2:04 PM

All replies

• Gai-jin said:

I just formatted one of my computers and reinstalled windows.  After installing the WHS connector on the computer, this computer now shows up twice in the WHS Connector.  (Once for the old windows install, once for the new.)

Correct.  That's because you didn't restore from your latest backup of the "old" computer.  WHS keeps track of the computer by using a unique ID.  Your new installation created a new unique ID.

Gai-jin said:

Is it possible to combine these?

No.

Gai-jin said:

I don't want to delete the old backups, but I also don't want the computer listed twice in the console.  (And eventually bugging me about not having been backed up recently, etc.)

If you don't want to delete your old backups, my suggestion would be to restore your latest backup from your "old" computer, then delete the "new" computer from WHS.

Friday, February 6, 2009 2:04 PM
  • Gai-jin said:

You can also turn off backups for the "old" computer (WHS Console, Backup Tab, right click computer) to prevent backup warning messages for the old system .

In this way old backups will remain available for the number of months / weeks / days you set in the WHS Console, Settings Menu, Backup Menu.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 3:54 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Gai-jin said:

Is that unique ID stored in in a file somewhere that could be copied from an old backup to the 'new' install?

kariya21 said:
    Gai-jin said:

That would really defeat the purpose of doing a clean install of windows, wouldn't it?

It seems to me there should really be an option in WHS to tell it to merge the 2 duplicate entries for the computer.  Or even better, if the computer names are identical and say the mac address of the pc, then WHS should be smart enough to know they are the same pc.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Gai-jin said:

Is that unique ID stored in in a file somewhere that could be copied from an old backup to the 'new' install?

The unique ID is in the registry (on both client and server).  However, any attempt to try to "trick" the system by modifying the registry is unsupported and not recommended so attempt at your own risk.

Gai-jin said:

That would really defeat the purpose of doing a clean install of windows, wouldn't it?

It sounds to me like you want to keep some of the data from your "old" computer.  If that is the case, you should restore that data (not the entire PC) to your "new" computer, then delete the "old" computer from the server.  (Or you could just leave both of them there, but that counts as 2 computers against the maximum of 10.)

Gai-jin said:

It seems to me there should really be an option in WHS to tell it to merge the 2 duplicate entries for the computer.  Or even better, if the computer names are identical and say the mac address of the pc, then WHS should be smart enough to know they are the same pc.

You should suggest those ideas on Connect.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 5:16 PM