How to debug hibernation problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 7 Professional, setup via GRUB to dual-boot between Windows and Linux, installed on a different partition.  Initially Windows 7 was installed alone, and was able to hibernate without a problem.  After Linux was added, hibernation stopped working - after I tell Windows 7 to hibernate, it turns screen black for a bit and then drops me to the login screen.  I've tried different solutions offerred on the web (ensure Windows partition is marked as bootable, etc), none of which helped.  At this point, I am looking for a methodology to debugging this problem - how can I get a trace of errors or reasons for why the hibernation fails.  As is, there are no errors displayed, just a silent failure to hibernate.

Thanks
    Friday, January 22, 2010 12:02 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Luchnikov,

I have the exact same problem, and my system also uses Grub dual boot. This seems definitely to be the cause for the problem.

I recently experienced a backup problem as well, which was caused by Grub moving some files. After some digging somebody of this forum suggested the solution, which was running bcdboot.exe with some parameter.

I guess this is related somehow...

Have you probably found a solution in the meanwhile?

Best regards
    Rainer
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Ok, I found a solution, here it is: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8940051#post8940051
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:24 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This forum focuses on Perfmon and diagnostic tools. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thanks.

Bruce Adamczak

Friday, May 7, 2010 3:44 PM