Question about exam difficulties for Server 2008 exams. RRS feed

• Question

• My end goal is to get the Enterprise 2008 certification.  To start I completed the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7 certification.  Now I plan on working on the MCITP: Server Administrator certification.  I am trying to figure out which exam would be the easiest one to start with.

I am not very strong in Network terminology, so I will probably save the Network one for last, I may even get my Network+ before studying that one just so I gain a better understanding of Networks... For anyone who as completed teh Network exam, let me know if getting Network+ exam would be benificial to someone with limited networking knowledge.

So this leavs me with the AD exam and the main server exam.   Which one would be considered easier or easier to study for?

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hi DAN

im a MCT " Traininer" and the feed back from my students is that the AD one is easier

cheers

• Proposed as answer by Haitham1977 Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Daniel Demers Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:22 PM
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:11 PM
  • The CBT Nuggets videos in general are good (as are those by Trainsignal and TestOut).  However, they shouldn't be viewed as the ONLY source of training/information.  That is, view them as "classroom instruction", and also utilize the MS Press, or other, study book.
    • Marked as answer by Daniel Demers Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:25 PM
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:54 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi DAN

im a MCT " Traininer" and the feed back from my students is that the AD one is easier

cheers

• Proposed as answer by Haitham1977 Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Daniel Demers Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:22 PM
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:11 PM
  • Thanks, a quick follow up question, since your a trainer :)

I dont plan on taking any courses for Windows 2008 due to costs, I am limited to training expenses and I plan on taking an Exchange2007 course in the Fall.

As a trainer what are your thoughts on the CBT Nuggets and how well they prepare you for Servers Exams?  They seem to cover all the material in question.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:22 PM
  • The CBT Nuggets videos in general are good (as are those by Trainsignal and TestOut).  However, they shouldn't be viewed as the ONLY source of training/information.  That is, view them as "classroom instruction", and also utilize the MS Press, or other, study book.
    • Marked as answer by Daniel Demers Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:25 PM
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:54 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Dan,

I would recommend taking the exams in this order:

Exam 70-640
    Exam 70-642
    Exam 70-646

70-646 is moderately difficult, the other two are not too bad. I was
    able to take 083-640 (now required in the US and has labs in addition to
    multiple choice). I happened to do the MCITP Enterprise Administrator
    before the MCITP Server Administrator and I thought the scope of the
    self paced training material was a little narrow for the exam in the
    70-646 book (the book combines multiple unrelated topics into a single
    chapter, where it would be valuable to have each in its own chapter with
    a bit more content). I would recommend reading and studying the
    objectives for the EA certification in addition to the SA (and possibly
    reviewing the self paced material for the EA in addition to the SA).

-- Mike Burr
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:12 PM
  • Greetings:

I write as an MCP from the NT days.  Have taken two recently taken two cert exams only to get shot down by the scenario based questions.  Have had the benefit of free vouchers for the training and have mastered them.  The simulation exercises are remarkable but not enough points can come from this.  Looking for some informed guidance on the scenario-based stuff because I did not have a clue on what they were asking.

I have the Microsoft eLearning for 70-640/642/646

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 4:26 AM