none
Painful posting on long posts RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• It's painful to try to post to that forum post. Is there anything that can be done to make it not be so painful

Use the bridge.  <eg>

BTW "painful" = trying to preserve blockquotes using WLMail.   ; ]

(Posted via the bridge using WLMail.   Blockquote preserved.)

---
    Friday, November 25, 2011 5:48 PM
  • "Robert Aldwinckle on forums [MVP]" wrote in message news:b256dbbc-9ce3-4857-8f3f-78e7a3f226e8@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Use the bridge.  <eg>

BTW "painful" = trying to preserve blockquotes using WLMail.   ; ]

(Posted via the bridge using WLMail.   Blockquote preserved.)

Using Windows Live Mail, I find it easier to convert to plain text, then convert back to HTML, and finally manually apply block quote formatting (Ctrl+M) as appropriate.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Friday, November 25, 2011 6:36 PM
  • Using Windows Live Mail, I find it easier to convert to plain text, then convert back to HTML, and finally manually apply block quote formatting (Ctrl+M) as appropriate.

Thanks, Stefan.   I didn't know I could do that.   That sounds a lot easier.   In fact, it looks as if even though WLMail was showing that I had broken its blockquote and typed outside it, it didn't really.   E.g. solid black line meant for the quote shows for the whole post.   ; [

Now I'm posting via IE10 on W8.  Less trouble (at least for quoting).  ; )

Robert
    ---

Saturday, November 26, 2011 1:03 AM
  • "Robert Aldwinckle on forums [MVP]" wrote in message news:d5d9bb28-fe57-4f80-a4f7-4b27ec3bf3a1@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Thanks, Stefan.   I didn't know I could do that.   That sounds a lot easier.   In fact, it looks as if even though WLMail was showing that I had broken its blockquote and typed outside it, it didn't really.   E.g. solid black line meant for the quote shows for the whole post.   ; [

Now I'm posting via IE10 on W8.  Less trouble (at least for quoting).  ; )

I use the web interface from time to time too (Internet Explorer on Windows 7).

It’s a huge disadvantage that WLM doesn’t allow for any HTML editing. But at least it lets us use the keyboard shortcuts from Outlook Express. And WLM 2011 makes it possible to add commands to the Quick Access Toolbar, which I find helpful.

Saturday, November 26, 2011 2:35 PM
  • It’s a huge disadvantage that WLM doesn’t allow for any HTML editing.

Actually it does but the procedure is so arcane it is rarely worth the bother.   What we can do is save to Drafts, then, when the Message List format is Two-line use the draft's Location to find the actual source and edit it in Notepad.   (Unless the Two-line view is used you won't get the path information.)

In fact, I was having so much difficulty trying to break out of that blockquote that I would have been much faster and obviously more correct using that "HTML Source Edit" procedure then.   ; )

Robert
    ---

Saturday, November 26, 2011 3:04 PM
  • "Robert Aldwinckle on forums [MVP]" wrote in message news:ccc1cbc9-98bd-4ee7-88a1-ac023ed40f8a@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Actually it does but the procedure is so arcane it is rarely worth the bother.   What we can do is save to Drafts, then, when the Message List format is Two-line use the draft's Location to find the actual source and edit it in Notepad.   (Unless the Two-line view is used you won't get the path information.)

In fact, I was having so much difficulty trying to break out of that blockquote that I would have been much faster and obviously more correct using that "HTML Source Edit" procedure then.   ; )

Maybe I’m slow today, but I don’t understand where you see the location of the draft? Changing Message List to “Two view” doesn’t seem to change the view at all?

Saturday, November 26, 2011 3:29 PM
  •  
    Maybe I�??m slow today, but I don�??t understand where you see the location of the draft? Changing Message List to �??Two view�?� doesn�??t seem to change the view at all?

Sorry.   I debated with myself about leaving the word Properties in my description.   Location:  is a label in the Properties dialog.   When you have Drafts Message List in Two-line view the Location: property is a fully qualified filename.   When it is only in the One-line view the Location: property only shows the name of the folder (not useful.)

Oops.   In fact, I hadn't tested this by trying to pick Drafts while in News mode.   Looks like this is only possible from Mail mode.   So switch over to Mail mode, e.g. press Ctrl-1 and do it with Drafts there.   Fortunately, Mail mode and News mode both share the same Drafts.   Bizarre.

This time I had a much easier time preserving the blockquote.  So now I can at least inspect my source in Drafts, e.g. turn Preview pane on and use Ctrl-F3...   WTH?   It isn't using blockquote?   Just a bunch of (hard to follow) DIVs.   No wonder I have so little control over it.   Still doesn't explain why what I see when I'm editing is not what I see in the source or what I see on the forums.   I have noticed the forums doing this DIV stuff too and causing confusion thereby in other contexts.   I wish someone would come up with an explanation for when source is done by DIV and when it is done by blockquote and simple HTML such as p and br.

Now I don't know how to fix it.   Blockquotes, p and br are easy.   This stuff is messing with properties I have never noticed before.    Looks great as I'm editing it but clearly the source is FUBAR.

This ain't going to be pretty... ; [

Robert
    ---
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification.

Saturday, November 26, 2011 7:15 PM
  • I tested the approach with my previous reply to your post, and I was able to open the *.nws file as you suggested. I couldn’t get it to work completely though. When opening the draft in order to send it, WLM imposes its own font settings anyway. The line-height element I added does seem to get preserved, though.

Here’s another thought: If you are using the Community Bridge, set the encoding to Windows-1252 (in the advanced options for the Bridge); the Bridge will then handle typographical quotation marks and apostrophes correctly when sending.

Saturday, November 26, 2011 7:20 PM
  • Here's another thought: If you are using the Community Bridge, set the encoding to Windows-1252 (in the advanced options for the Bridge); the Bridge will then handle typographical quotation marks and apostrophes correctly when sending.

In fact, that's showing a deficiency of the bridge when using Quoted-Printable with an 8-bit multibyte characterset (e.g. Unicode) and the fact that you are using WLMail's "SmartQuotes".   The way that I chose to deal with the problem was turn off all of those "feechurs", e.g. zero everything in here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Compose\Preferences\PostEditor\Autoreplace

WLMail actually sends the multibyte characters within the Quoted-Printable correctly using escaped hex.   The problem is that the bridge does not handle the ambiguity and just tries to translate each decoded byte into a character of the message's characterset, thus converting 1 character into several.

Other Quoted-Printable receivers make the same mistake, e.g. other E-mail servers, so it is not just the bridge's error being handled by my workaround.   If the bridge would handle Base64 that could be an alternative workaround.

There is some reason that I chose Unicode instead of an 8-bit single-byte characterset but I can't remember what it is any more.   Maybe I just get amused seeing things look broken and using workarounds to avoid them.  <eg>

BTW I noticed one "SmartQuote" in what I'm quoting above, so I have amended it to be a simple apostrophe.   But now I'm posting from the forum, so I suppose it doesn't matter.   ; )

Robert
    ---

Saturday, November 26, 2011 8:43 PM
  • I love the workarounds but it still doesn't solve the bigger issue I have when someone posts on an old thread, I can't find it easily in the bridge, I want to go to it via the web interface.

It should -just work-.  And it it doesn't -just work-.  So here's my ask to Brent to work on performance issues again because anytime there's a page with a issue that impacts a lot of people and folks post and pile on, the web interface is painful.

Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:52 PM
  • "Susan Bradley [MVP]" wrote in message news:9c45e458-4fbe-4e55-9158-a2c9e118c4eb@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    I love the workarounds but it still doesn't solve the bigger issue I have when someone posts on an old thread, I can't find it easily in the bridge, I want to go to it via the web interface.

It should -just work-.  And it it doesn't -just work-.  So here's my ask to Brent to work on performance issues again because anytime there's a page with a issue that impacts a lot of people and folks post and pile on, the web interface is painful.

In your newsreader, just look at the message source. You’ll find a link to the web interface in the “archived at” header.

Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:21 PM
  • I want to go to it via the web interface.

It should -just work-.

Of course it should but it doesn't so we are giving you workarounds to avoid the problem.

Here's another one then.   You can open your problem thread with an RSS view by tacking on a CGI query:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/1c9a7151-b48c-4a98-aae7-a4b82682ea8e?outputAs=RSS

Next issue will be figuring out the appropriate query to allow you to just reply to one of the posts you see that way.   We may be stymied by Cookies but I think it would be at least worthwhile trying to develop a procedure that way.   I'm on W8 with IE10  ATM  and it has issues about giving me Copy Shortcut so I'll defer the experiment until I get back to W7 and IE9.

Robert
    ---

Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:38 PM
  • "Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25e25077-64a5-41b0-9be9-f28418089040@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    In your newsreader, just look at the message source. You’ll find a link to the web interface in the “archived at” header.

I forgot to mention that this assumes you are using the Community Bridge (http://communitybridge.codeplex.com).

Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:39 PM
  • Next issue will be figuring out the appropriate query to allow you to just reply to one of the posts you see that way.

It's possible.  An unexpected wrinkle is that we get to post in plain text or HTML source mode.  But it definintely circumvents all the performance issues.

C.f.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/comsandbox/thread/47ec31a2-5e67-47ec-b738-d0f0d64d8f9f#456592e6-dca0-4c38-afef-5f57b0f93780

FYI

Robert
    ---

Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:14 PM
  • I love the workarounds but it still doesn't solve the bigger issue I have when someone posts on an old thread, I can't find it easily in the bridge, I want to go to it via the web interface.

Agreed, it is not acceptable. We are looking into this actually right now. It is way to slow, we should be able to do something about it. Thanks for the note.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Monday, November 28, 2011 6:34 AM
    Answerer