none
Microsoft Key RRS feed

• Question

• I recently purchased a custom made XW8400 from someone that included a copy of Microsoft x64 bit OS.  I need to re-install and I don't have the KEY.  What can I do?

• Moved by Stephen BootsMVP Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:16 PM posted to incorrect forum (From:Microsoft Security Essentials: Getting Started and Upgrading)
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:13 PM

Answers

• Hello Ken Sirulnick,

If the computer purchase did not include a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) for the version and edition of Windows, then you are running unlicensed pirated software.

The CoA for an OEM license would be a label affixed to the computer itself; the OEM CoA has the Product Key printed on it.  The CoA for a retail license would be affixed to the boxtop of the nice pretty retail box that the rest of the Windows materials came in.  The CD holder folder has a yellow-orange label on the back that has the Product key printed on it.

If you don't have a CoA, you don't have a license.  If such is the case, please purchase a Genuine copy of Windows from your favorite local or online trusted retailer.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, July 24, 2009 5:34 AM

All replies

• If your computer is still operational, download and run Belarc  Advisor
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 10:13 PM
  • Hello Ken Sirulnick,

If the computer purchase did not include a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) for the version and edition of Windows, then you are running unlicensed pirated software.

The CoA for an OEM license would be a label affixed to the computer itself; the OEM CoA has the Product Key printed on it.  The CoA for a retail license would be affixed to the boxtop of the nice pretty retail box that the rest of the Windows materials came in.  The CD holder folder has a yellow-orange label on the back that has the Product key printed on it.

If you don't have a CoA, you don't have a license.  If such is the case, please purchase a Genuine copy of Windows from your favorite local or online trusted retailer.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, July 24, 2009 5:34 AM