Clone system and data drive? HP EX475 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP ex475 currently using 2x500gb drives and i have about 80gb of free space so i am looking to add or replace some drives.  To keep my power consumption and heat down i was thinking i could buy a few 1-2tb drives and replace the drives i am currently using instead of adding additional drives.  I was thinking if i shut the machine down and clone each of my 2 drives to new drives i could drop them in (in the same order of course) and the WHS wouldn't know the difference.  I have done this on desktops and servers with single drives without issue.  Of course i havent actually tried this and i really dont know how the WHS copy system will handle it.  Thoughts comments or suggestions?
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:02 PM

All replies

• Cloning isn't supported, and without great care is guaranteed to cause some pretty severe problems. So I'd leave the system drive alone. Since you have free bays, just add a couple of large drives. I'd use 2 TB drives, and if they're WD "Advanced Format" drives install the jumper immediately.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:27 PM
  • ken are your concerns with the WHS copy system?  know anyone that tried this?  I am not against adding some drives but i would like to know how the OS is going to react.  Eventually these drives will need to be replaced, someday they will die
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:41 PM
  • There's a blog post on mediasmartserver.net (if I remember correctly) that walks you through the process of cloning a system drive. But as I said, it's unsupported, and it's not recommended (by Microsoft, or by the community).

Besides, if you're planning to clone a drive that's having problems, you have a pretty good chance of cloning any data corruption. The problems that will potentially cause dwarf any inconvenience from going through the supported server recovery mechanism.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 7:47 PM
  • Excellent lead, i think i found the article you were referring to and it had exactly the information i was looking for. 

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/01/17/forum-spotlight-how-to-successfully-clone-and-upgrade-a-whs-system-drive/

heres what i was looking for:

WHS uses (GU)ID numbers stored in the partition table of each disk to help identify them. When using disk imaging software to migrate an operating system from one disk to another disk, these disk ID numbers are typically not cloned during the disk imaging operation.

To Function properly, WHS requires that the disk ID number of the newly imaged disk match that of the image source.

A cloned WHS system disk with a mismatched disk ID number will still boot normally but will exhibit a number of Critical Health Warnings the most common of which is the “Backup Service is not Running” warning.

Thanks for your help ken

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:06 PM