How can I remove a spacer.gif folder from the WHS2011 video shares folder? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently moved my shares to a larger HD and found a "spacer.gif folder" in my videos folder. This spacer.gif has no videos in it! However, it contains a video file name and gives an error when an attempt to play. How can I remove this from my videos folder?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1baltsae

• Moved by Ken Warren Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:01 PM WHS 2011 question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Monday, July 25, 2011 8:34 PM

All replies

• Umm, delete it? If the file or folder name contains certain special characters that's likely to be difficult, but it can certainly be done.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:09 AM
  • Ken,

This folder is not visible in explorer only when you access the site remotely.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 11:43 AM
  • That's because it's a hidden or system file (probably hidden). On any client:

• Start Windows Explorer.
    • Navigate to the share containing the folder/file you want to delete.
    • Press Alt.
    • Select Tools, then Folder Options, then View.
    • Switch the Hidden files and folders radio button to Show hidden, files, folders, and drives.

Click OK. See if you can see the file or folder now. If not, it's a system file or folder. If that's the case, you can go back to where you turned on "show hidden" and uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended). When you're done, reset the Explorer options you changed.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Ken,

I have tried to make the file visible, however, its presence is only showing in the Media Library online.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:31 PM