WHS Connector install issue, can't install RRS feed

• Question

• First off, my setup is a HP MediaSmart EX485, I have two PC's connected to it, one running Vista Home Basic and the other Vista Home Premium (64-bit).  Yesterday I arrived home to both computers telling me there was an update to WHS Connector that needed to be installed.  I first installed it on my Home Premium machine with no problems.

Next, I went to the other machine, and I hit a brick wall that I cannot find a work-around for.  It gets to the point during the install of the Connector software where the progress line reads "Status:  Publishing Product Information..." and hangs with the following error:  "An error occurred while writing installation information to disk.  Check to make sure enough disk space is available, and retry."  The window has a Retry and Cancel button.

Now, I'm thinking it may be trying to over-write a file that is being used by another process perhaps, or something along those lines, but I can't find it.  Rebooting both the PC and the WHS and trying again didn't work.

Any ideas where I should start looking to solve this problem?

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2luf4ub.jpg[/IMG]
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:09 PM

All replies

• Make sure you are logged in as a user with Administrator privileges. Things you can try is first uninstall the current connector software (control panel, add or remove programs), reboot, then try and install from http://yourservername:55000 (replace yourservername with the name of your server).

If this fails try running chkdsk on the system partition of the client (right click system partition, properties, tools tab or run chkdsk C: /r from a command prompt), then try again.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:34 PM
  • First off, my setup is a HP MediaSmart EX485, I have two PC's connected to it, one running Vista Home Basic and the other Vista Home Premium (64-bit).  Yesterday I arrived home to both computers telling me there was an update to WHS Connector that needed to be installed.  I first installed it on my Home Premium machine with no problems.

Next, I went to the other machine, and I hit a brick wall that I cannot find a work-around for.  It gets to the point during the install of the Connector software where the progress line reads "Status:  Publishing Product Information..." and hangs with the following error:  "An error occurred while writing installation information to disk.  Check to make sure enough disk space is available, and retry."  The window has a Retry and Cancel button.

Now, I'm thinking it may be trying to over-write a file that is being used by another process perhaps, or something along those lines, but I can't find it.  Rebooting both the PC and the WHS and trying again didn't work.

Any ideas where I should start looking to solve this problem?

I'm going to ask the obvious:

1. How much space is available on the drive where your OS is located and/or where the software was installing?

And the not so obvious:

2. If you uninstall the Connector and reinstall, providing you have enough room, does the install procede?
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:34 PM
  • Sorry, I should have noted that I have ~122GB of free space on the PC in question, so the actual error makes no sense to me.

I have indeed tried uninstalling the connector and reinstalling, and it hangs at the exact same spot.

I have no tried chkdsk.  I'm at work right now, but when I get home tonight I'll first try uninstalling and rebooting, then reinstalling (I don't recall whether I rebooted between uninstalling/reinstalling or not), and if that fails I'll try chkdsk to see if I have any hard disk problems.

I'm really at a loss, the initial software installation when I first got the WHS was a breeze, and it's been backing up both my PC's for weeks now, until this.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Ok, I tried uninstalling, rebooting, then installing via the http://SERVER:55000 link, same error.  I ran chkdsk, it found no errors.

So I'm back to square one, that error pops up no matter what I try.  Any thing else I can try?  I'd really like to get my backups rolling again...
    Friday, May 29, 2009 4:45 AM
  • Ok, I tried uninstalling, rebooting, then installing via the http://SERVER:55000 link, same error.  I ran chkdsk, it found no errors.

So I'm back to square one, that error pops up no matter what I try.  Any thing else I can try?  I'd really like to get my backups rolling again...

Hi,

Please download and install the toolkit. Once you have the toolkit installed, please publish it to the server and then run the connector troubleshooter on the client. You may need to run it in advanced mode to get more information. The manual for the toolkit is here.

To run the troubleshooter in advanced mode, do the following:

1.   Open a Command Prompt window, by doing one of the following:

·      On Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

·      On Windows Vista, click Start, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

2.   At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server\Toolkit"

3.   At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:

ConnectorTroubleshooter.exe -a

The -a parameter is very important. If you do not include this parameter, the Connector Troubleshooter starts in default mode.

Note, you may not be able to copy and paste the -a command from IE.  It doesn't always parse the "-" properly.  I would type this command.

If you are unable to gather enough information from the troubleshooter, please submit a bug on Connect. You will find instructions in the Windows 7/Windows Home Server sticky post at the top of this forum. Please be sure to use the toolkit to submit client and server cabs.

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, May 29, 2009 5:03 AM