Capacity of mapped share on server inaccurate in My Computer RRS feed

• Question

• I have a drive letter (on my desktop) mapped to one of my shares on WHS and the free space on the network drive in My Computer shows 5.95gb free. However I have 65.23gb free space listed in my storage allocation on the WHS console. Has this been an issue for anyone else and is there some reason it only shows this much space free?

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 2:40 AM

Answers

• The space free in Explorer is the amount of space left on the data partition of your primary drive. It reflects the maximum amount of data you can copy to WHS in one shot.

I would guess that you have a relatively small primary drive, which you've filled somehow, maybe through running backups, maybe by copying files to WHS using external drives (or network shares) and Explorer to copy directly to the D: drive.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 2:46 AM
  •  blowjoe wrote:
    I have 2 identical 300gb drives. My WHS storage allocation shows this:

shared folders- 253.2 gb
    duplication- 199.43gb
    pc backups- 31.06gb
    OS- 10gb
    free space- 65.23gb

Don't really understand how it could get 5.something gb free out of that. If it does it could be something that the normal user would find confusing.

Okay: 253 GB + 31 GB + 10 GB = 294 GB. 300 GB - 294 GB = 6 GB.

With two drives, WHS uses the primary data partition for everything, and the second drive for duplication. That's all it can do, really.

If you add another 300 GB drive, you should wind up with around 365 GB of free space, total, and 260 GB (more or less) in Explorer, because WHS will bew able to move at least the shared folders off onto a secondary drive. It may or may not also move the backups to a secondary drive. This isn't really explained in the documentation, but if you search a bit in the forums, you'll find a lot of useful information about how WHS and Drive Extender manage your drives for you.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 4:06 AM
  • The amount that explorer sees on the client is the amount that you can transfer over at a single time.  It should copy the data off onto the second drive after copying, have you tried this to verify yet?  Duplication steals space from both hard drives and backups steal space from both hard drives.  It's best to have 3+ hard drives connected to Windows Home Server for the best space balancing. 

Windows Vista does not have the capability to view through Drive Extender to really know how much space is free like the console can.  I do also see this as an issue and I'd still bug report it like Ken Warren suggested. Remember to include the talq cab numbers! There might be a problem with Drive Extender on your Windows Home Server and not balancing correctly.  It's also possible you just moved some files onto it and it hasn't had time to fully balance the hard drives yet. 

As far as removing the second hard drive so you can replace it with a larger one, as long as you have enough free space, you should be able to do this.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:11 PM

All replies

• The space free in Explorer is the amount of space left on the data partition of your primary drive. It reflects the maximum amount of data you can copy to WHS in one shot.

I would guess that you have a relatively small primary drive, which you've filled somehow, maybe through running backups, maybe by copying files to WHS using external drives (or network shares) and Explorer to copy directly to the D: drive.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 2:46 AM
  • I have 2 identical 300gb drives. My WHS storage allocation shows this:

shared folders- 253.2 gb
    duplication-      199.43gb
    pc backups-      31.06gb
    OS-                       10gb
    free space-       65.23gb

Don't really understand how it could get 5.something gb free out of that. If it does it could be something that the normal user would find confusing.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:12 AM
  •  blowjoe wrote:
    I have 2 identical 300gb drives. My WHS storage allocation shows this:

shared folders- 253.2 gb
    duplication- 199.43gb
    pc backups- 31.06gb
    OS- 10gb
    free space- 65.23gb

Okay: 253 GB + 31 GB + 10 GB = 294 GB. 300 GB - 294 GB = 6 GB.

With two drives, WHS uses the primary data partition for everything, and the second drive for duplication. That's all it can do, really.

If you add another 300 GB drive, you should wind up with around 365 GB of free space, total, and 260 GB (more or less) in Explorer, because WHS will bew able to move at least the shared folders off onto a secondary drive. It may or may not also move the backups to a secondary drive. This isn't really explained in the documentation, but if you search a bit in the forums, you'll find a lot of useful information about how WHS and Drive Extender manage your drives for you.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 4:06 AM
  • I have read the posts that you are speaking of but I still have a couple of questions/comments...

1. Since explorer says I have 6gb free, that means when I put another 6gb on the server it will be full even though I still have somewhere between 50 and 60gb free (depending if I save the 6gb in a folder that is duplicated or not)?

2. I believe the server should be able to put a folder that is not duplicated on either drive. For instance if my videos folder is not duplicated and drive 1 is full, why shouldn't the server be smart enough to offload that folder (or part of it) onto drive2?

3. If for some reason the system drive crashed would you be able to get your duplicated data back that is on drive 2 with any PC with 2000/XP? This is what I understand from the forums but would like to confirm.

Thanks for your help. I really like the product so far but I think it will definitely require the average user to buy more and bigger HD's.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 7:37 PM
  • 1. I expect the answer will be yes.

2. I agree, though I believe I understand what WHS is doing now. You should submit a suggestion on Connect, after checking to see if there's one that describes your issue.

3. Yes, you should be able to recover the files from the second drive.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:15 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:

I do not see how you can arrive at that statement, by saying that the second drive is only used for duplication.

In my server I have a 320Gb primary and a 160Gb secondary drive.

C: (Sys)     10Gb Part.       with 6.25Gb free

D: Data   288.08Gb Part. with 278.23Gb free

(Data)      149.04Gb Part. with 106.36Gb free

Shared Folders   22.36

Duplication            7.19

PC Backups        11.85

O/S                        10.0

Free Space        395.74

As I only have 7.19Gb of duplication, how come I have 42.68 of data used on my second drive. At this rate my second drive is going to fill up quicker than my larger primary  drive, when I thought you were supposed to put the larger drive as primary. My primary drive is only using about 10Gb of space.

On my 2nd install I only installed with my new 320Gb because at the time I did not have a spare ide-usb power adaptor for my older second drive, that I installed a couple of days later and added it to the pool. So what on earth is happening and how can I be able to use the additional space on my primary data partition as I can only fit a maximum of 2 drives in my media pc case.

Would it be possible to remove the second drive from the system and let it copy all data back to the primary drive, then just simply add it back to the pool, or will it just do the same thing again.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:26 PM
  • The amount that explorer sees on the client is the amount that you can transfer over at a single time.  It should copy the data off onto the second drive after copying, have you tried this to verify yet?  Duplication steals space from both hard drives and backups steal space from both hard drives.  It's best to have 3+ hard drives connected to Windows Home Server for the best space balancing. 

Windows Vista does not have the capability to view through Drive Extender to really know how much space is free like the console can.  I do also see this as an issue and I'd still bug report it like Ken Warren suggested. Remember to include the talq cab numbers! There might be a problem with Drive Extender on your Windows Home Server and not balancing correctly.  It's also possible you just moved some files onto it and it hasn't had time to fully balance the hard drives yet. 

As far as removing the second hard drive so you can replace it with a larger one, as long as you have enough free space, you should be able to do this.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:11 PM
  • I can't explain the specifics of why your WHS Drive Extender seems not to be balancing. What I described is what I observed, as I built my WHS (three times before I was satisfied ).

I can also tell you the current distribution of data on the three drives in my system, which indicates that there are issues with Drive Extender.
    • D: 139 GB shown in Disk Management (the remainder of a 160 GB drive), ~4 GB used, looks like all tombstones.
    • First data drive: 340 GB shown in Disk Management (RAID 5 array with 4 120 GB disks),  ~235 GB used. All files, all backups.
    • Second data drive: 279 GB shown in Disk Management (a 300 GB external drive), ~65 GB used. All copies of files in duplicated shares. No backups.
    What I expect to see happen, based on this, is that I'll be able to copy about another 100 GB of data to my WHS. Then it will either run out of disk space or Drive Extender will suddenly start shifting files from the first data drive to the second data drive to balance things.

In the meantime, I've just filed a bug report on Connect mentioning that Drive Extender is not balancing files as I understand it should.

Friday, March 30, 2007 12:24 AM