Server Backup - External Drives RRS feed

• Question

• In V1 I could do backups by specifing the share and the external drive I wanted for the backup.  I have two external drives of different sizes.  One is for all user related files (750 GB) and the second is for media files (1.5 TB).  If the backup process would use both drives that would be fine but the backup fails after filling up the 750 GB drive.

Is there a way to do this in V2?  If not can I setup windows backups manually to manage backups?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:55 PM

Answers

• You can have multiple disks configured to rotate them onsite and offsite, but each disk should have the storage capacity required for the backup. Also each folder you are backing up cannot be more than 2TB. So if your total data size is 3TB thats what you need minimum on the target disk. Disk spanning is not possible.

Alternately you can use wbadmin or the backup powershell commandlets to have multiple policies where different data sets can go into different disks. Spanning disks is not possible.

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Glenn,

You will need external drives that have the required capacites for taking backups. ONce you have those you can plug them to the server, go to computers and backup tab, select the server and run Set up backup wizard to configure backups of server system and shares to external drive. The limitation is that each share must be within the 2TB limit.

Please let me know us you run into any issues doing this.

thanks.

-Bodhi

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 6:40 PM
  • Hi Glenn,

You will need external drives that have the required capacites for taking backups. ONce you have those you can plug them to the server, go to computers and backup tab, select the server and run Set up backup wizard to configure backups of server system and shares to external drive. The limitation is that each share must be within the 2TB limit.

Please let me know us you run into any issues doing this.

thanks.

-Bodhi

Bodhi Deb - MSFT

Bodhi,

So you are saying that if I have 3 TB of data to back up I need a 3 TB drive?  That does not make sense to me.  Does the backup process use both drives or only one?  I have 1.1 TB od media files and 500 GB of users files so my 1.5 TB is not big enough to the data by itself but the two drives together will work.

I read the release notes and getting started but it was not clear.  I must be missing something.

Thanks 

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 7:02 PM
  • You can have multiple disks configured to rotate them onsite and offsite, but each disk should have the storage capacity required for the backup. Also each folder you are backing up cannot be more than 2TB. So if your total data size is 3TB thats what you need minimum on the target disk. Disk spanning is not possible.

Alternately you can use wbadmin or the backup powershell commandlets to have multiple policies where different data sets can go into different disks. Spanning disks is not possible.

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:09 AM