Automatic Update and Restart-I need to turn it off RRS feed

• Question

• Once again, Auto Update has restarted my laptop for me in the middle of the night, shutting down all my applications without saving anything. If I could rely on auto-save, it might not be a problem, but two documents I spent a lot of time on yesterday are now lost (because auto-save didn't save...why? I don't know...it's Microsoft! No one knows! Maybe I just haven't slicked my hard drive and reloaded Windows recently enough). So I went into system>automatic updates and changed the settings. Now my Live OneCare icon is perpetually red...makes it pretty useless as an alert mechanism. Can't this be fixed?
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:58 PM

Answers

• No, unfortunately, OneCare requires that Automatic Updates be set to install automatically and you can't have it any other way without OneCare complaining.

As a side note, I'd never rely on autosave of anything important - save manually when you can and save often.

I'll paste my response to this topic from a prior post.

I agree with your assessment that forcing the setting to automatically install is bad for me (and you). However, I can tell you from personal experience that there are many, many people who happily ignore Windows Updates - even when they are set to notify - and end up with severely compromised systems. I have personally repaired dozens of systems where the AU icon was alerting the user about updates to be applied and based on the number of updates available, that icon was alerting them for months and sometimes years!

What I would prefer is that OneCare required that Automatic Updates was *on* for any settings desired in order to be green. Since OneCare already does a check of Windows Update for updates not yet offered and installed by Automatic Updates when a Tune-up is performed, I think OneCare should perform that check daily and/or check for the state of AU in that when an update is offered as available, OneCare should change to yellow alert status. If the user then ignores the warning yellow status for 24 hours, OneCare should turn red. If another 24 hours elapses without action by the user, OneCare should switch on AU to automatically install the updates and provide a dialog to the customer that this action was taken and why.

Since that functionality does not currently exist in OneCare, we need to live with the simplistic setting requirement that AU must be set to automatic download and install at a specified time of our choosing. Pick a time that is least likely to impact you. You cannot change the way OneCare warns you if you do not have AU configured this way.

Pasted from <http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/AddPost.aspx?PostID=2512983&SiteID=2&ReturnUrl=>

-steve
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:46 PM

All replies

• No, unfortunately, OneCare requires that Automatic Updates be set to install automatically and you can't have it any other way without OneCare complaining.

As a side note, I'd never rely on autosave of anything important - save manually when you can and save often.

I'll paste my response to this topic from a prior post.

I agree with your assessment that forcing the setting to automatically install is bad for me (and you). However, I can tell you from personal experience that there are many, many people who happily ignore Windows Updates - even when they are set to notify - and end up with severely compromised systems. I have personally repaired dozens of systems where the AU icon was alerting the user about updates to be applied and based on the number of updates available, that icon was alerting them for months and sometimes years!

What I would prefer is that OneCare required that Automatic Updates was *on* for any settings desired in order to be green. Since OneCare already does a check of Windows Update for updates not yet offered and installed by Automatic Updates when a Tune-up is performed, I think OneCare should perform that check daily and/or check for the state of AU in that when an update is offered as available, OneCare should change to yellow alert status. If the user then ignores the warning yellow status for 24 hours, OneCare should turn red. If another 24 hours elapses without action by the user, OneCare should switch on AU to automatically install the updates and provide a dialog to the customer that this action was taken and why.

Since that functionality does not currently exist in OneCare, we need to live with the simplistic setting requirement that AU must be set to automatic download and install at a specified time of our choosing. Pick a time that is least likely to impact you. You cannot change the way OneCare warns you if you do not have AU configured this way.

Pasted from <http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/AddPost.aspx?PostID=2512983&SiteID=2&ReturnUrl=>

-steve
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:46 PM
  • I like your preferences, and I would prefer those, too. I wouldn't even mind if Microsoft just installed them automatically the first time, but it seems as though they could protect their customers' data by autosaving open documents in open instances of Office or other Microsoft applications. I realize that if I saved everything every day when I leave my desk (and if I had the discipline to save early and often, as I learned playing Leisure Suit Larry many years ago), I would never lose anything. If auto-recover worked all the time, I'd be better off, too. Sometimes I get called away from my desk, though, without time to close and save everything on the desktop. If that happens on an AU day, I might end up losing a lot of work.
    I have had quite the opposite problem with updates, though. As near as I can tell, I've never suffered from not having an update as soon as it came out. What has happened to me is that some applications no longer run correctly because they are not compatible with the new update.
    So, I intend to continue checking for the updates; probably just put a reminder in Outlook, and I'll just leave the icon red until MS decides to implement some scheme like the one suggested by Stephen. I don't intend to lose any more data to the vagaries of my data protection software.
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 12:14 PM
  • Understood....and keep your fingers crossed, but don't hold your breath. I actually had a conversation with someone from the OneCare team before 1.0 was released to production and it hasn't been changed yet. :-)

I find the reliance on the AU check to be foolish, too, as it can be days before the critical updates are offered to a PC for installation. How much worse can it be if we let OneCare alert a user that the updates have been received and need to be installed as soon as possible?

In any event, I do understand the concept of the warning system as currently designed - based on my experience with people coming to me with a PC that "doesn't work well" and have the yellow shield in the tray for available updates, which, when clicked, reveals updates going back to when the PC was first turned on.

-steve

Monday, March 17, 2008 1:18 PM
  • Hi

I came to the forum to see if there was a way to have the status for OneCare be green even though I have changed the setting for automatic updating of Windows.

If Microsoft would just have the updates install and then wait until you want to restart your computer to finish the process, it would make me happier; however, this purposeful sabotage/vandalism of computers by restarting after I've clicked "Restart Later" is too much of a pain. Until they start trying to support the computer users rather than have us bend to their whims, I'll just have them download and then install them when I want.

But now OneCare doesn't accurately reflect the status of my computer's vulnerabilities. If I am keeping up on the installations of updates, and everything else is in good shape, I still am "At Risk" just because I prefer to run my computer rather than have it run me.

Is there anyone to complain to who will pay attention?

Thanks for the venting time,

Steve

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 2:04 AM
  • The official path for submitting feedback is here:

https://feedback.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=wlonecare

However, since this is already a pretty hot topic here in the forum, I am sure that the OneCare team is already aware of this request. :-)

-steve

Thursday, August 7, 2008 2:26 PM
  • Part of the problem here is not so much with OneCare, but with how insistent the system restart if it is required by Windows Update. More grace there would be helpful. I appreciate that it is complicated, and the current policy is to play it safe.

Meanwhile, I would certainly like to see OneCare allow more finesse in its own configuration for this scenario. For example, just because one of the PCs in my OneCare circle is now set to "download but let me choose" (my wife, having lost data through Windows Update doing its thing this week, insists, and I can't blame her), my whole circle now shows red across my network. Not helpful. A per-PC setting on the OneCare monitoring side would be welcome.

Please let me know if this feature is there and I just haven't found it yet. Thanks!

Friday, August 15, 2008 3:50 AM
  • The feature you're looking for isn't there - both the ability to have more control of AU with the option you have chosen and with the monitoring aspect of OneCare. If your PC is a hub, it will show the status of any PC in the Circle that is at risk in your system tray. When you open OneCare and click on Your OneCare Circle on a hub, you will see a list of PCs and each of their statuses You can demote the PC from being a hub and it will only report its own status.

And, for the record, I've got an older tablet PC that took the updates yesterday and upon reboot is now toast. It will be some time before I can deal with trying to resolve it, unfortunately. Fortunately, it is only a test machine for me, and it spent most of its recent life "sleeping" to be wakened nightly for backup, scans, and updates.

-steve

Friday, August 15, 2008 2:22 PM
  • Has there been a solution for this, I've lost some work last night because of auto updates, I dont mind the updates I really dont like the comp restarting with out permission. I got one care version 2.5.2900.15. Please help i dont want this to happen again. Its really annoying to see a big red onecare logo even tho there is no problem. A small hotfix for it would be great.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:25 PM
  •  drewex wrote:
    Has there been a solution for this, I've lost some work last night because of auto updates, I dont mind the updates I really dont like the comp restarting with out permission. I got one care version 2.5.2900.15. Please help i dont want this to happen again. Its really annoying to see a big red onecare logo even tho there is no problem. A small hotfix for it would be great.

There's nothing to fix in that this is by design.

However, here's a possible workaround for you:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/prevent-windows-update-from-forcibly-rebooting-your-computer/

-steve

Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:10 PM
  • Just because it was poorly designed does not mean there is nothing to fix.

Friday, October 17, 2008 1:02 AM
  •  Swally wrote:

Just because it was poorly designed does not mean there is nothing to fix.

Swally, as I've noted many times in this forum, I disagree with the simplistic way that this is handled by OneCare, but it is not "broken" so it doesn't need to be "fixed."

This forced setting for OneCare is a design decision made by Microsoft, and was probably debated extensively during many meetings and design reviews.

As I've also noted before, I can't tell you the number of PCs that I am asked to fix that have a yellow shield sitting in the tray with the notice about available updates happily appearing that the user has happily ignored, therefore making the PC vulnerable to attack - which it was, hence the need for me to spend hours on getting the PC clean and working properly again. Yes, you and I will not defer the critical updates long - most of the time - however, many people will ignore the warnings and prompts and their PC will be compromised because of this. I understand why Microsoft took the approach to force the settings in AU in order to be in Green status. I don't agree with the implementation, but I understand it.

-steve

Friday, October 17, 2008 5:26 PM
  • You can actually put something in the advanced settings for admins only. I just dont like the idea that i dont have control over how thing works. We are not using a mac. hehehe  

Friday, October 17, 2008 5:42 PM
  • Ok this is getting stupid, I got my machine restarted again, this time i did the update and didnt restart because i was in middle of a project GUESS WHAT next morning comp got restarted. Im just going to sit with a RED ONE CARE logo from now on. I dont care if you have updates ITS NOT OVER RULES MY AUTHORITY to restart my machine in my own means.

I use microsoft for everything you guys do great products BUT LISTEN TO PEOPLE at least allow domain admins to decide for them selfs SHEEESH.

Friday, October 24, 2008 3:31 PM