WHS could not find an installed Website Gateway Provider. RRS feed

• Question

• Ive been researching for 2 days, honestly I am not as network savvy as I should be, however with a little research I have been successful solving most computer issues.  There seems to always be a solution out there, however this one is KILLING ME!  I am willing to bet the solution is so simple that no one has needed to post a solution.

This past weekend I built a WHS from some spare parts in the garage.  Nothing spectacular but it is serving it purpose. P4, 2.8 GHz, 512mb RAM, 2TB drive space, MI424-WR router.

I am trying to setup Remote Access.  When I Turn ON Remote Access (through the Server Console on my XP Pro laptop) it runs through the router configuration without any errors (all Green checks).  “Your router is successfully configured to work with Windows Home Server.”  “To configure a personal domain name, click Next.”

After I click Next…

(dialog header)  No Website Gateway Providers Available

(Big RED X)  Windows Home Server could not find an installed Website Gateway Provider.

If I click OK and get rid of the error message I can see all of my Router specs.  It lists a Router IP address, Home Server IP address, and a Home Server physical address.

Help please…

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    your error looks kind of unique to me. (So I would tend to a server reinstall as the prime solution.)

Can you post the output of ipconfig /all issued in a command prompt on your Home Server?
    Which version number does the console show in Settings/Resources?
    Are there errors or warnings in the event logs of your server?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:26 PM

• Thank you for the reply Olaf! 

I have reinstalled WHS once already.

I have a screenshot of the ipconfig /all, however i am not certain how to post the bmp.
    I also have a screenshot of my "Settings" tab, and I do not have a "Resources" option or button.
    I think I was able to find the Event Viewer (through the WHS Console) START -> ALL PROGRAMS -> ADMIN TOOLS -> EVENT VIEWER.  I could also post that bmp, if I knew how.

Any suggestions on posting those bmps?

Jeff

Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:58 PM
  • Olaf,

I PMed you the screenshots.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:26 PM
  • Hi,
    from the screenshot I see a manually configured IP address ("DHCP enabled:No"). This also includes manual DNS servers, which are external instead of the recommended practice to use the IP address of the router.
    I would recommend to change the IP settings to DHCP for the network configuration and DNS server settings.

The fact, that there is no ressources entry under Settings, is indeed strange - I have not seen this kind of behaviour before.

Is your router directly connected to the Internet on one end and to the home server on the other or are there devices between (DSL modem or a second router)?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, January 29, 2010 9:35 PM
  • I will change the IP settings to what you recommend.  Also I ordered an OEM version of WHS from Newegg and plan to do a reinstall (again) when it arrives next week.

There is a switch between the WHS and the router.

FIOS (fiber optic broadband ONLY) -> Router (MI242-WR) -> Switch (DGS-2208)

Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:41 AM