none
WASTED TIME WASTED EFFORT SEARCHES ARE USELESS RRS feed

• General discussion

• PLEASE!

Would someone with some intelligence fix the search engine here?

By adding additional words in a search phrase or a series of search phrases, the number of returned items should be reduced, NOT increased. I'm certain someone else has had my problem but there is no way to find it. I'm not going to read through 997 posts. I simply do not have that much time. Its faster to reload Windows and DPM.

This site is returning posts that simply do not have my search words in them.

Sorry, but this is REALLY idiotic.

There is no way this site can be used to support customers efficiently.

Bob.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:10 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Are you writing about Bing ? If yes, i think it is better than it was 6 months ago, but less efficient than Google.

For the search engine related to Search Forums, i think it is a simplified version of Bing which is trying all the posts containing at least 1 of the words you put in the box.So as you increase the number of words, you obtain more possible threads ( exactly the unwanted result you are waiting ). I found nowhere how to use "operators" which would permit the search engine to retrieve all threads containing an expression or a group of words ( but in the result list, you should obtain the threads with your full group of words at the beginning of the results list. I am prefering to use the search function of the MSDN library which seems to me to be more precise.

Have a nice day

PS : Please, could you edit the title of your thread in small letters ( except the 1st letter ) ? It is really aggressive and potentail repliers will be tempted to avoid your thread. Thanks beforehand.

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:13 PM
  • Papy,

Thank you for the reply.

I don't know if Forums is using the Bing search engine or not. To be clear, I am referring tithe Forums website. Other Microsoft search engines on Microsoft sites are more effective. I really miss the old style "Advanced Search" though.

For a moment, I considered your request to change the case of the title. However in lieu of a negative response to fixing the problem, I'm thinking leaving it the original way captures my emotions at the moment I wrote this.

It's all good to be polite and cerebral, but come on! The forums could be a powerful resource, but I guess with your more intellectual response, there still isn't any fire lighted around this.  (Notice I used italics - which in other circles is considered bad form with the inherent suggestion that caps are more appropriate.)

I would have no problem with the crummy search engine used on this site, IF there were only a few articles. However, I am dealing with a poorly documented Microsoft product that is showing a tremendous potential, but ONLY if I can support it, and there are thousands of posts to search through.

The best way to support it (that I can see), is to refer to the excellent work previously done by others in the analysis and presentation of problems and solutions in the Forums Website (and to which I will contribute some of my experience - as I get there).

But as I mentioned in my first post, it is nearly impossible to use this site as an effective, timely resource, simply because Microsoft has used a surprisingly crummy search engine.

This singular failure on Microsoft's part results in an exponentially impossible wasted accumulation of time by the people trying to implement and support Microsoft's products using the Forums site. It is totally counter productive not only to us customers but to Microsoft itself.

If you have any sway at all Papy, please pass this on to someone who may "give a damn" within Microsoft so it can be turned into a priority action item and resolved ASAP.

Thanks,
    Bob.

Monday, May 2, 2011 1:43 AM