Not sure if I can boot from DVD RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Intel 845HV motherboard based P4-2.4, 1GB RAM, 1 x120GB HD and 1 X 250GB HD PC that I want to use for WHS.  The BIOS order choices list CD ATAPI, hard and removable as choices.  My BIOS is V14 dated 12/3/2002 and the most recent is V15 dated 5/29/03.  It's release notes say nothing about DVD booting being added, so I have been reluctant to do a seemingly needless and always risky BIOS flash.  Are there any workarounds for the boot from DVD or is my otherwise capable PC not an eligible candidate for WHS?
    Friday, July 13, 2007 5:31 PM

All replies

• Usually a DVD is seen as a CD as far as the boot order is concerned. DVD burners can sometimes be a problem but a basic DVD ROM should be fine. You can test it out by booting into something like memtest86+. You can download an ISO image from here:

http://www.memtest.org/

Friday, July 13, 2007 6:19 PM
  • Correct, it should boot the DVD drive if it's set to boot CD.

I'd add that if there *is* a newer BIOS then it's not "needless" and it's really not that "risky" if you just follow the instructions. They made the newer BIOS to fix something or add support for something and it's much better to flash the BIOS before installing WHS, than after.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 7:20 PM