none
Copy paste not working while answering threads( really a big problem)

Question

• I am totally dissappointed with way MS owners handles forum. There are myraids of bugs which keeps popping up.

Right now when you write answer and paste it many a time it gives unexpected error. If you want to copy and paste your answer by opening complete thread its not working, actually nothing is getting pasted. So you  end up writing whole answer again. Utter waste of time.

Is somebody looking or you want people to leave questions unanswered. Are you guys aware of any such issue.

Advise: Please first make sure current features are working fine instead of going ahead with new features.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Thursday, October 1, 2015 12:43 PM

Answers

• Seems to be working for me, I wrote this post in notepad and pasted it in without getting any errors.

I'd recommend sending an email directly to the forums team about this (also include your OS, browser, etc). The address is fissues (at) microsoft [dot] com. They seem to monitor that mailbox more often than this forum in my experience and you're more likely to get a quicker response that way.

Thursday, October 1, 2015 12:49 PM

All replies

• Seems to be working for me, I wrote this post in notepad and pasted it in without getting any errors.

I'd recommend sending an email directly to the forums team about this (also include your OS, browser, etc). The address is fissues (at) microsoft [dot] com. They seem to monitor that mailbox more often than this forum in my experience and you're more likely to get a quicker response that way.

Thursday, October 1, 2015 12:49 PM
  • I also do a fair amount of copy paste in replies and have not had any issues recently, but to be clear I'm talking about straight text, i.e. not in code blocks or HTML

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 1, 2015 12:58 PM
  • Thank you guys, normal copy paste on notepad is working for me, just the copy paste in forum answer box is not working.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Thursday, October 1, 2015 1:07 PM
  • Thank you guys, normal copy paste on notepad is working for me, just the copy paste in forum answer box is not working.

Interesting...

I'm going to try copying that line above and pasting it twice below:

Interesting...

Interesting...

Looks to work for me. I'm using Pale Moon as my browser (a FF fork), perhaps this is one of those browser based quirks.

Thursday, October 1, 2015 1:12 PM
  • Hello,

I paste in a bunch of HTML in the forum "reply" box on a daily basis, and never have an issue

I have OTHER issues, but who doesn't ;)

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Thursday, October 1, 2015 1:54 PM
  • Are you guys aware of any such issue.

There is a trick that I occasionally have to use when the post gets lost but is still there.  E.g. say I was in Fullscreen mode but absentmindedly switched to normal mode.  This is in IE of course.  What you can do is get out of CSS.  E.g. press Alt-V y N.  Then you will find two copies of your composition in tiny frames somewhere down near the bottom, one is the HTML frame and one is the text frame.  You can do a Ctrl-a, Ctrl-c of either one and then use that copy in an appropriate clone of the thread that you were trying to reply to.  But generally it is enough just to do it using a normal presentation.

One other trick that might help avoid you thinking that you had lost your composition and actually allow you to continue is to do a Find (e.g. F3 or Ctrl-f) for something that you know will shift the view and scroll the contents.  Doing that seems to break out of some kind of hang that the editor gets into occasionally.

Oh.  You mention "write answer and paste".  Where are you doing this?  It's possible that you are creating something in an incompatible format.  E.g. on these forums we are fortunate to have the HTML mode to experiment with.  So when you do your Paste and it doesn't work try Pasting there instead to find out what is going on.  Similarly you should try using Notepad to try to preserve as much of your typing as you can. 

It definitely should not be necessary to retype as much as it used to be but there are some tricks that it helps to know to minimize what you need to do to workaround situations which otherwise might make you think that you would need to.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, October 1, 2015 3:41 PM
  • I also frequently paste in the forums with no problem. I paste links all the time, and sometimes strings and code from other posts. I paste code from a text file using "Insert Code Block" and also in the HTML editor. I use IE 9 and Firefox. When I copy from other replies in the thread, I have to remember to copy before I edit. Otherwise, I need to open another copy of the thread.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Thursday, October 1, 2015 6:01 PM
  • >>Right now when you write answer and paste it many a time it gives unexpected error.

>When I copy from other replies in the thread, I have to remember to copy before I edit. Otherwise, I need to open another copy of the thread.

Would that be an example of "copy from other replies"?  (it's actually from the OP.  Hopefully that doesn't make any difference in your symptom scenario.)

However, it just occurred to me that maybe we aren't parsing the OP description correctly.  E.g. "paste it many a time" now makes me think he could be having a run in with a spam filter.  <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, October 1, 2015 7:53 PM