Quick search - searching different fields RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to search for a certain account in MS CRM 2011 that has for example one field called "Name" and second one called "Surname".

If we search for John Doe and type in John Doe nothing will appear in the quick search results. The only way how to find John Doe is to type in "Doe" and manually search through all the "accounts" named "Doe".

So our wish is when users use quick search functionality, that they can use different fields at once.

Any ideas?

Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:46 AM

Answers

• For CRM quick searches remember two hints:

1- If you want to be able to search a field, that field should be searchable. Settings > customizations > customize the system > entities > desired entity > the field. Change the type to searchable.

2- You should add a searchable field to find columns. Go to settings > customizations > customize the system > entities > desired entity > views. Open the quick find view, and add the columns you want to search.

After both of the changes save and publish. Also consider that for a search on a record that you do not know the exact name use a * before the string. Such as *John Deo.

My Weblog | My Website

Thursday, June 6, 2013 1:25 PM

All replies

• Whatever do you want to search, first you add that field on that Corresponding View.

For (e-g), Before you do the search,you're in 'Active Accounts'. I think you have only added the 'Surname', go and add the 'Name' to your View.

Bang it.

Prakash

Thursday, June 6, 2013 1:07 PM
  • For CRM quick searches remember two hints:

1- If you want to be able to search a field, that field should be searchable. Settings > customizations > customize the system > entities > desired entity > the field. Change the type to searchable.

2- You should add a searchable field to find columns. Go to settings > customizations > customize the system > entities > desired entity > views. Open the quick find view, and add the columns you want to search.

After both of the changes save and publish. Also consider that for a search on a record that you do not know the exact name use a * before the string. Such as *John Deo.

My Weblog | My Website

Thursday, June 6, 2013 1:25 PM
  • Thank you guys for replying.

The Problem is that I have done all what you suggested and it still doesn't work. Both fields are searchable (searching them separately works..), both are added to the view and are added to find columns.

This was working before, now we have done an upgrade (rollup 13) and a lot of things changed. I hoped that we will just do as you mentioned and everything will be back to normal, but sadly I do not know what to do now. It a crucial thing for users, because this is their main search case, which happens multiple times daily and if not working as mentioned before its time consuming.

Both fields are custom, which probably makes things complicated.

Friday, June 7, 2013 9:28 AM