Add a Link "Move to Off-Topic" to the Moderator Links ? RRS feed

• Question

• The "My Forum Links" for Moderators contains at the moment

The addition of the last two items here in the latest "bug" fix (See other post for comments on moving the Forums Home link to here, and having a link to Browse Forum Users is a waste of space as far as I am concerned) has shown that it is possible to add Links here.

What I would like to see is a "Move to Off-Topic" link here.

The present method takes more time than it should because of the need to scroll down a long way (but not right to the end) in order to find the Off-Topic forum. Having this as an addition to My Forum Links for Moderators would therefore regularly save a lot of time.

Friday, April 24, 2009 5:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,
    My guess is the "My Links" section is not the place to put that, since these links stay the same as you move around, so it wouldn't make sense for example if you were on a forum category page, or browse users.

Probably a better place is on the thread page near the top with all the other moderator features or on the move thread page itself? 
    The one bad thing is some moderators do move the threads to appropriate forums and that feature would discourage that.
    Sam Jarawan - Senior Development Lead - Server and Tools Online
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Sam

In my case I spend > 95% of my time in the forums where I have Moderator rights (and where I need several times a day to move questions to off-topic).

For me the My Links location would be perfect and as I wrote I don't use "Browse Forum Users" at all - and don't imagine ever needing to do so - so I would be happy to see the option (if it can't be added to the list) being available in the forum code of replacing that entry in My Forum Links.

I also have a lot of space over on that side of the page since I in a recent version of the software was able to remove the cloud/tag section!

The main advantage of having it there would be that there is plenty of space there for it. The alternative you suggest of adding it to the horizontal list of things a moderator can do that are listed over a thread start (i.e where the standard Move is) would be fine but potentially confusing unless placed as far away as possible (say the end of the line) from the standard Move function. 

I use the standard Move function (to move to the correct forum in the same set of forums) more than I use move to Off-topic, so I too am one of those other moderators ...

But with the aim being to just click on something and have the thread go to Off-Topic with no further intervention I really see it more as a thing which people can decide (or not) to have in their My Forum Links. After all it is a personal Link. 

Who knows in time you could just have a list of possible links, perhaps ready-made code that moves to another forum and which allows the individual moderator to specify for each link just the forum to which the post is to be moved.

So I could have as my My Forums List (as an example)

Note: It took me 5 failed attempts to send this; a Cancel followed by two failed attempts and only a sign-off + sign-on followed by yet another Reply effort to send it. The forum isn't working well at the moment (all those 500 errors too)
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 5:57 PM