Adding a NAS drive to WHS RRS feed

• Question

•  

I understand that WHS can manage a large pool of diskspace intellegently but from what I've read this diskspace needs to be physically attached to the server i.e. internal or USB

I have a 1TB NAS drive (Buffalo) and I'd like to use to add to the disk space available to my home network via WHS.  I understand tha the NAS device cannot be connected to the server via USB, it can only be connected to the network. 

Does anyone know if I can add my NAS drive to WHS or not?

Any advice would be apprecaited.

Monday, June 23, 2008 9:03 AM

Answers

• Sadly, no. The only external connection method supported is eSATA or USB. The disks need to be controlled by WHS, and as a NAS drive, is by definition self contained, WHS ill ignore it.

However, it can be used as, say, a backup system. You will have to use a 'third-party' solution such as RoboCopy or SecondCopy to achieve this, but it is possible.

Colin

Monday, June 23, 2008 4:40 PM
  •  Beko Bob wrote:

If I stored movies, picures and other media on my NAS, could I use WHS to stream the media to other devices in my home e.g. my laptop or Media PC?

No. A NAS device will not be able to participate in any of the features of Windows Home Server, including the storage pool, streaming, storage of client PC backups, etc. You can use it the same way you would from any other PC on your network, but nothing more.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:27 PM

All replies

• Sadly, no. The only external connection method supported is eSATA or USB. The disks need to be controlled by WHS, and as a NAS drive, is by definition self contained, WHS ill ignore it.

However, it can be used as, say, a backup system. You will have to use a 'third-party' solution such as RoboCopy or SecondCopy to achieve this, but it is possible.

Colin

Monday, June 23, 2008 4:40 PM
  •  

Colin, are you saying, I can load SecondCopy on the WHS, and then have it backup the WHS data partition to a NAS?

Sounds intriguing, but I always thought don't ask the WHS to do anything but run as WHS, don't mess with it by loading third party software....

Tom

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:21 AM
  • Thank you Colin.

If I stored movies, picures and other media on my NAS, could I use WHS to stream the media to other devices in my home e.g. my laptop or Media PC?

I'm looking forwad to hearing from you - thanks Again

Bob.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 12:35 PM
  • I believe WHS set the defaults to stream from \\server\videos, \\server\music, and \\server\photos
    I have not seen a way to change them.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:04 PM
  •  Beko Bob wrote:

No. A NAS device will not be able to participate in any of the features of Windows Home Server, including the storage pool, streaming, storage of client PC backups, etc. You can use it the same way you would from any other PC on your network, but nothing more.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:27 PM
  • What about iSCSI is that supported?

Thanks,
    -Brian
    Monday, October 6, 2008 10:59 AM
  • Brian,

No, as mentioned above, the only external systems that WHS recognises as part of the system, are eSATA and USB.
    This is a system marketed at the Home User, and as such, it isn't likely that many of them might use - or even know what - iSCSI is, sorry.

The underlying Server 2003, could well be able to work with this sort of system, but the WHS software itself just cannot make use of them.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, October 6, 2008 11:05 AM