none
How To complain about Moderators RRS feed

• Question

• How do I complain about a moderator being completely unprofessional and hopefully block that person from replying to my posts?

I asked a simple question and a moderator replied with a suggestion to look elsewhere, I thanked him and told him that I had and left it at that but he wouldn't let it go.  He kept saying my question had nothing to do with Microsoft even though it had to do with SSCM, OSD, winPe and Windows AIK.  After I asked him to stop replying to my posts with the same unhelpful suggestion over and over again only worded different ways he refused and kept nagging me.

I eventually gave up and told him to close the post because it was full of a ridiculous back and forth between us which nobody was going to read, so I knew my question would never be taken seriously.  He marked it as answered by him, even though it wasn't and I never got to ask my question.

I should be able to ask a question without dealing with this kind of behavior and someone needs to talk to that moderator about his behavior.

Friday, December 15, 2017 2:58 PM

Answers

• You can complain about a moderators but you cannot complain about the free help that you get.

The question is not complaining about the help that was obtained; it is complaining that a moderator took action that prevented getting help.

All Moderators do the work on their own free time as contribution to the community. The Moderators do not work for Microsoft, but come to help the community. You should always remember this!

Every moderator is chosen by Microsoft to be a moderator; no one can be a moderator unless Microsoft chooses them to be.

A moderator can do administrative mistake, which you can complain about, but if you don't like the answer you get, then you can ignore it or you can find a different community which fit you better.

The MSDN forums are free but many of the products are not. The MSDN forums are the only ones provided by Microsoft for the Microsoft software. There is nowhere else to go to get help moderated by Microsoft for Microsoft software.

It is not a matter of fit.

The Moderator is simply someone that founded as fit for the job and he accept to contribute his time for people like you. When he answer a technical question he is not doing it as Moderator but as someone who want to help you :-)

And "founded as fit" is critical here. Microsoft chooses who they want as moderator. And it is totally possible for people to have other motivations. Sometimes members try to pressure other members into doing things their way, such as use MVC or use EF. If the person seeking help says they don't want to do it using something specific then that should be the end of that but I have certainly encountered situations where a person insists that their way is the only way and makes the entire thread useless. The question here is saying that that is what happened.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

• Marked as answer by legion991 Saturday, December 16, 2017 3:43 PM
    Saturday, December 16, 2017 1:06 PM
  • Moderators are volunteers and sometimes can be less than professional. But I believe the OP was unreasonable in that thread. I think the proper answer was given.

While I probably agree, its not really about what we think of the thread. The OP asked where or how to complain about a moderator. fissues? maybe but probably not. Checking the top level configuration manager forums stickys may reveal the forum owners (those that pick the moderators) names, then using that info finding another communication method to message them? A long shot but possible.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, December 16, 2017 3:02 PM

All replies

• This forum is for questions and discussions about the TechNet Wiki. I believe you refer to this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/2ae09d1d-e6ae-472f-95b5-18a4039b1610/updated-way-to-disable-sophos-for-osd-deployment?forum=configmgrgeneral

I suggest you ask your question here:

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/support.aspx

I will move this question to another forum where someone may a better link for you (or know of a relevant forum).

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Friday, December 15, 2017 4:06 PM
  • You can also unmark the answer since you started the thread. You also have the option to mark the replies as abuse and add your comments. As to the moderators you can email fissues but your best chance is to contact the configuration manager forums' owners.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 15, 2017 4:21 PM
  • It is not clear to me whether it is a TechNet or MSDN issue. Assuming it is a MSDN issue then, as far as forums go, I think the Msdn forums - Forums Issues (not product support) forum would be appropriate but I am not a moderator or anything like that. One problem is that if you post a question or a topic for discussion in a forum then you need to be specific with a thread and details such as that.

Conceptually, there are two types of moderators. There are moderators of human behavior and there are technical moderators. Unfortunately technical moderators usually are not good at human behavior. I think the CodeGuru forums went in the wrong direction when they chose moderators that were technically qualified but not qualified at social interaction; one of them actually was proud of being anti-social and said so. I think he uses the user name RudeDog.

Microsoft has been providing less support of the MSDN forums than they did originally. Lately they have been trying to offload it to StackOverflow. The problem with that is that StackOverflow members are often rude and opinionated and I think that the attitude is filtering back to the MSDN. The founder (one of them at least) of StackOverflow (or StackExchange) is certainly opinionated.

Rude behavior seems abundant in the internet and I wish that Microsoft could be a leader in a positive direction but my experience is that they are more likely to censore efforts to help them with that.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, December 15, 2017 11:54 PM
  • Good day Sam,

The TechNet Forums and the MSDN forums are combine together. Most (not all) of the forums can be reached from the TechNet URL or from the MSDN URL. This post at Microsoft Forum Ninjas blog can give you the entire understanding about the Forums URL address format.

When We first decided to open official blog for the forums our first decision was: do we open it under the MSDN URL (which is what we choose at the end) of under the TechNet URL (like the Wiki Ninjas forum). This is mostly a meter of display and nothing more.

* I lectured about the TechNet in several opportunities, and if I can quote myself(my point-of-view): The TechNet community is the free small brother of the MSDN paid big brother. By definition everything under the TechNet is free but there are a lot of services which are actually the same for both communities.

In short... Most of us use the name "MSDN and TechNet" as one big happy community :-)

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Saturday, December 16, 2017 11:26 AM
  • How do I complain about a moderator being completely unprofessional and hopefully block that person from replying to my posts?

I asked a simple question and a moderator replied with a suggestion to look elsewhere, I thanked him and told him that I had and left it at that but he wouldn't let it go.  He kept saying my question had nothing to do with Microsoft even though it had to do with SSCM, OSD, winPe and Windows AIK.  After I asked him to stop replying to my posts with the same unhelpful suggestion over and over again only worded different ways he refused and kept nagging me.

I eventually gave up and told him to close the post because it was full of a ridiculous back and forth between us which nobody was going to read, so I knew my question would never be taken seriously.  He marked it as answered by him, even though it wasn't and I never got to ask my question.

I should be able to ask a question without dealing with this kind of behavior and someone needs to talk to that moderator about his behavior.

Good day ?!?,

You can complain about a moderators but you cannot complain about the free help that you get. All Moderators do the work on their own free time as contribution to the community. The Moderators do not work for Microsoft, but come to help the community. You should always remember this!

A moderator can do administrative mistake, which you can complain about, but if you don't like the answer you get, then you can ignore it or you can find a different community which fit you better. For example if a Moderator deleted your message then this is administrative task, but answer is something that each try to do his best to help the people that come to the forum and want to get FREE HELP FROM THE COMMUNITY. The Moderator is simply someone that founded as fit for the job and he accept to contribute his time for people like you. When he answer a technical question he is not doing it as Moderator but as someone who want to help you :-)

* I am not sure what you expect to get from complain about something that you get free from people that get nothing for helping you, but as Sam mentioned you can complain in the Forums Issues (not product support)

signature   Ronen Ariely

Saturday, December 16, 2017 11:41 AM
  • The TechNet Forums and the MSDN forums are combine together. Most (not all) of the forums can be reached from the TechNet URL or from the MSDN URL. This post at Microsoft Forum Ninjas blog can give you the entire understanding about the Forums URL address format.

When We first decided to open official blog for the forums our first decision was: do we open it under the MSDN URL (which is what we choose at the end) of under the TechNet URL (like the Wiki Ninjas forum). This is mostly a meter of display and nothing more.

* I lectured about the TechNet in several opportunities, and if I can quote myself(my point-of-view): The TechNet community is the free small brother of the MSDN paid big brother. By definition everything under the TechNet is free but there are a lot of services which are actually the same for both communities.

In short... Most of us use the name "MSDN and TechNet" as one big happy community :-)

The MSDN forums have msdn in the URL preceding Microsoft.com, as in social.msdn.microsoft.com. I still have never received an explanation why "social" is i there but that is off-topic for here. The MSDN forums have always been the place for developers; people that write code and nearly always use Visual Studio. That is a critical distinction that is often used to explain why a non-developer question does not belong in the NSDN forums.

Are you saying that the C# and VB.Net and the Visual Studio forums can be viewed as TechNet forums without the msdn in the URL? If so then it will be difficult to explain that non-developer questions should not be in developer forums.

Perhaps TechNet people think they are the same as MSDN people but I think that most MSDN people would strongly disagree. What would happen if I posted a C# question in a TechNet forum? Would I get good answers there or would I be told to post elsewhere?

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Saturday, December 16, 2017 12:31 PM
  • You can complain about a moderators but you cannot complain about the free help that you get.

The question is not complaining about the help that was obtained; it is complaining that a moderator took action that prevented getting help.

All Moderators do the work on their own free time as contribution to the community. The Moderators do not work for Microsoft, but come to help the community. You should always remember this!

Every moderator is chosen by Microsoft to be a moderator; no one can be a moderator unless Microsoft chooses them to be.

A moderator can do administrative mistake, which you can complain about, but if you don't like the answer you get, then you can ignore it or you can find a different community which fit you better.

The MSDN forums are free but many of the products are not. The MSDN forums are the only ones provided by Microsoft for the Microsoft software. There is nowhere else to go to get help moderated by Microsoft for Microsoft software.

It is not a matter of fit.

The Moderator is simply someone that founded as fit for the job and he accept to contribute his time for people like you. When he answer a technical question he is not doing it as Moderator but as someone who want to help you :-)

And "founded as fit" is critical here. Microsoft chooses who they want as moderator. And it is totally possible for people to have other motivations. Sometimes members try to pressure other members into doing things their way, such as use MVC or use EF. If the person seeking help says they don't want to do it using something specific then that should be the end of that but I have certainly encountered situations where a person insists that their way is the only way and makes the entire thread useless. The question here is saying that that is what happened.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

• Marked as answer by legion991 Saturday, December 16, 2017 3:43 PM
    Saturday, December 16, 2017 1:06 PM
  • I suggest you review the thread the OP is complaining about, which I linked in my initial reply above. We don't see the question, but it was deleted by the OP, not a moderator. The initial reply by the moderator (later proposed as the answer by a second moderator, then marked as the answer by a third moderator) was:

----- quote -----
    Someone here may have an answer, but you'll probably get a much better response on a Sophos centric forum as this really is Sophos specific.
    ----- end quote

The OP later refers to an old thread where a similar question was answered in the forum. I checked that old thread, which is here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/fd9361bb-fe67-4d2b-9fbf-d86a56dc07b7/windows-7-sophos-encryption-removal-of-disk-encryption?forum=configmgrgeneral

The answer given (6 years ago) was:

1. A knowledgebase article on the Sophos site.
    2. Link to a document on another third party site.
    3. Detailed information received from Sophos, perhaps in response to a query on their site.

Moderators are volunteers and sometimes can be less than professional. But I believe the OP was unreasonable in that thread. I think the proper answer was given.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Saturday, December 16, 2017 2:47 PM
  • Moderators are volunteers and sometimes can be less than professional. But I believe the OP was unreasonable in that thread. I think the proper answer was given.

While I probably agree, its not really about what we think of the thread. The OP asked where or how to complain about a moderator. fissues? maybe but probably not. Checking the top level configuration manager forums stickys may reveal the forum owners (those that pick the moderators) names, then using that info finding another communication method to message them? A long shot but possible.

Saturday, December 16, 2017 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

>> The MSDN forums have msdn in the URL preceding Microsoft.com

True and the TechNet Forums have the "technet" instead. It is all explain in the blog post.  

>> explanation why "social"

Since these are social = communities forums, and not officially a support system where you pay -> open a ticket -> get support from the paid team till the ticket is close

>> The MSDN forums have always been the place for developers

Same with the TechNet, both communities for developers, IT, DBA and not for home users. The answers system is more for the home users (theoretically, since in time the boundaries are blurred when users do not keep them)

>> Are you saying that the C# and VB.Net and the Visual Studio forums can be viewed as TechNet forums without the msdn in the URL?

I don't know :-)

I mean, I did not tested these specific forums but some forums do (not all).

For example this forum can be enter by both URLs:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=whatforum
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=whatforum

You will get the same forum with the same content but totally different design (and there are several more URLs related to "different communities" which actually point for the same forum, for example the same forum can be found here with another different design:
    https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=whatforum

* The Hebrew C# forum does not work on the technet URL, but only with the MSDN URL.

Another example is the Transact-SQL which can be enter here as well Transact-SQL  (first is with MSDN and the second one with technet)

It is all explain in the blog post :-)

signature   Ronen Ariely

Saturday, December 16, 2017 3:08 PM
  • In the last 6 years the Sophos side of that response hasn't changed, the Microsoft side has thought.

The 6 year old solution refers to Windows AIK, but that's been replaced by Windows ADK, so should I be using ADK or AIK? What would the alternate commands be in ADK?

The 6 year old solution refers to Win PE 3.0.  Are there changes in WinPE 5 that would prevent this solution from working?

The 6 year old solution refers to imagex.exe which has been replaced by DISM.exe.  Should I be using DISM.exe to update a winPE 5 .wim file or will imagex.exe still work.

The imagex.exe command in the solution (a Microsoft command that has nothing to do with Sophos) has an "x86" switch.  Is there a different switch for 64-bit architecture?

The version of SCCM used to create the boot.wim in the first place is 6 years old, have there been changes in the multiple versions of SCCM since then that would affect a new boot.wim?

These are all Microsoft related questions not Sophos.  I know what the Sophos solution is, I just wanted to know if the new versions of the MICROSOFT technolgies required different steps, or presented different issues.  That's not a Sophos question it's a Microsoft question.  A question I was not allowed to ask because the moderator would not let it go.  And as I told him I did ask the question in both forums.  And like he said "you may find an answer here" but I was not allowed to.

Anyways it doesn't matter.  I'm not going to get a chance to do anything about it, I marked the answers that seemed most helpful as the answer.

Saturday, December 16, 2017 4:32 PM
  • Anyways it doesn't matter.  I'm not going to get a chance to do anything about it, 

Might also try asking over here.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/System-Center-Configuration/bd-p/SystemCenterConfigurationManager

Saturday, December 16, 2017 4:55 PM