OCS 2k7 and Call Manager 5.1 RCC Integration RRS feed

• Question

• We purchased OCS after many meetings with Microsoft that eventually told us that we could get the Communicator to just use our Cisco phone system when clicking on people and selecting call.  We don't want the Communicator to act as a phone under any circumstances.  Basically click call and the Cisco desk phone starts ringing.

So far we have the communicator working fine from inside and outside our domain.  However now we are at the step of integrating the phone system with it.  This part has been painful.  Everytime I call MS I get a different story.  When I get online I am having about the same luck.  

I think or was "sold" on the ability to enable RCC in OCS and create a sip trunk on my Call Manager and it should work.  However I can't seem to find any documentation on how to do this.  One site will say I have to use a mediation server, the other will say I need CUPS, and yet another will say I should be using Enterprise Voice.  Which to my understanding is not what I need. 

Can someone please point me in the right direction? 
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:43 PM

All replies

• Cisco has an interoperability webpage which contains some guides: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/ns340/ns414/ns728/networking_solutions_products_genericcontent0900aecd805b561d.html

Basicailly.. there are two ways of interop.. just calling in between the systems which can be done with a simple SIP trunk (you may need to install the OCS patch to remove the zero when using the CCM to dial out to the PSTN world).

Then there's tighter integration meaning shared presence or shared line functionality between the MOC and your Cisco phone (AKA RCC mode). To do either, you need a CUP Server in between the systems. The page I linked to has a guide on CCM 5.1 and CUP 6.01 and Live Communication Server, or there are guides geared at CCM 6 and OCS 2007.. I figure if you combine the two you get a working setup.

I can't help you with the specifics since I'll be using CUP 7.0 and CCM 7.0 for the integration (so far the CCM is my PSTN gateway and that works great.. I've never managed to get CUP working with OCS 2007 but I'm looking at another attempt with OCS R2).

Hope that helps you go into the right direction.

Cheers
    Stephan
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 8:02 PM
  • Do you have a link for the simple sip trunk?  I think that would suffice until I can figure out how to pitch the cups server.  I had a conversation with a Cisco TAC tech and he said the CUPS implementation takes about 30mins.  If you have a support contract they will walk you through it for free.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 12:53 AM
  •  

So Stephen is right there are two methods for Cisco interop:

Enterprise Voice : Requires a OCS mediation server (a OCS server role) and SIP trunk between your OCS and Callmanager environments going from the mediation server to one of your Callamanger subscribers servers. Does not require CUPS. No presence is passed between the two systems.

Remote Call Control: On its own this basically gives you control of your Cisco IP phone from MOC. Click to dial etc. Requires CUPS and additional Cisco licensing (unless you are using the new workspace licensing from Cisco).  Limited presence is passed from CUPS to OCS. Does not require OCS mediation server.

You can use a combination of the two and there are a few way to route calls using the mobility feature in Callmanager depending on your version. Check the Cisco interoperability portal. There is another integration option called dual call forking but currently Cisco doesn’t support it in any version, so I wont confuse you with it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns728/networking_solutions_program_category_home.html

Some of the documents are good and other not so good. It has some new guides in it for Exchange UM integration and CME to Exchange UM if your interested as well as Callmanager and CUPS integration documents to OCS.

Hope this helps clarify the simple trunk, there is a little more to it than just a trunk. There is also plenty of info in this forum on the subject as well as MSFT documentation.

Good luck

Cheers
    Chris

Chris http://voipnorm.blogspot.com/
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 5:51 AM