Restoring W7 62 bit from WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought a W7 64 bit Desktop and successfully installed the WHS connector software from WHS PP2.  After having run numerous backups of the PC to the WHS, I had cause to restore a complete PC image from the full backups and failed.

It seems that the reason for the failure is that whilst WHS had successfully backed up the PC with its 64 bit (network and other) drivers, because the restore process uses a 32 bit based version of something like Windows CE, the restored drivers (i.e. 64 bit drivers) would not work with the 32 bit restore programme.

Does anyone know if the beta or final PP3 will resolve this issue?

I contimue to backup regularly, but know that at present the 64 bit PC backups will not be restorable without massive convoluted workarounds which defeat the whole object of WHS.

Thanks for any advice.

Saturday, January 2, 2010 3:46 PM

Answers

• Hi and thanks for your reply.

I had previously had a go at a version of  Option A in your reply and have fallen foul of the same 64 bit/32 bit paradox.  

I found that the manufacturer only supplies drivers for the NIC as an installation file so that when I execute the file to extract the driver (on the 64 bit machine with the relevant NIC), because the installation file is trying to install the 32 bit drivers (which is what I want) on the 64 bit PC, it rejects the process.

Conversely, the 32 bit PC I have access to does not have the same NIC and the installation file rejects the installation on that basis too.

As someone famous once said "Doh!"

May I ask a few questions about Option B:

- when you say connect the client hd to another PC, do you mean as that donor PC's master drive or as a second drive or external USB drive?

Second drive (either internal or USB).

- will I not face the same unavailable NIC driver issue?

No, because you are using that OS and that NIC on that client (which obviously already works) to restore your other client to the hard drive and it will restore the 64-bit NIC driver that was backed up.

- on the same basis where are you saying I run the  C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe file from - the relevant folder on the original client's hd (which is attached to the donor PC?)

You run it on the PC that you connect the hard drive to in order to restore (just like any other app on that client).  All you're doing is connecting another drive to an already working PC, then restoring your backup to that hard drive.

- when you say "just make sure you select the correct hard drive in that case" - do you mean ensure you select the correct volume to restore from on the list available when restoring from the WHS?

No, I mean make sure you restore your backup to the correct hard drive since there will be 2 hard drives in that client (the one that's always there and the one you just connected to restore to).

Thanks again and also for your patience in helping me sort this one out.

Monday, January 4, 2010 3:58 AM

All replies

• I recently bought a W7 64 bit Desktop and successfully installed the WHS connector software from WHS PP2.  After having run numerous backups of the PC to the WHS, I had cause to restore a complete PC image from the full backups and failed.

It seems that the reason for the failure is that whilst WHS had successfully backed up the PC with its 64 bit (network and other) drivers, because the restore process uses a 32 bit based version of something like Windows CE, the restored drivers (i.e. 64 bit drivers) would not work with the 32 bit restore programme.

Does anyone know if the beta or final PP3 will resolve this issue?

No it doesn't.  (By the way, PP3 is already available and should already be installed on your server if you have your server automatically update.  If not, you should click Update Now... in the Console and install it.)

I contimue to backup regularly, but know that at present the 64 bit PC backups will not be restorable without massive convoluted workarounds which defeat the whole object of WHS.

Thanks for any advice.

When you have a 64-bit OS to restore, you have 2 options:  A) download the 32-bit driver of the NIC that is in your client or B) connect the hard drive from that client to another PC, then do a BMR to that drive through the other client by running C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe (just make sure you select the correct hard drive in that case).
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 4:49 PM

I had previously had a go at a version of  Option A in your reply and have fallen foul of the same 64 bit/32 bit paradox.  

I found that the manufacturer only supplies drivers for the NIC as an installation file so that when I execute the file to extract the driver (on the 64 bit machine with the relevant NIC), because the installation file is trying to install the 32 bit drivers (which is what I want) on the 64 bit PC, it rejects the process.

Conversely, the 32 bit PC I have access to does not have the same NIC and the installation file rejects the installation on that basis too.

- when you say connect the client hd to another PC, do you mean as that donor PC's master drive or as a second drive or external USB drive?

- on the same basis where are you saying I run the  C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe file from - the relevant folder on the original client's hd (which is attached to the donor PC?)

- when you say "just make sure you select the correct hard drive in that case" - do you mean ensure you select the correct volume to restore from on the list available when restoring from the WHS?

Sunday, January 3, 2010 4:22 PM

Second drive (either internal or USB).

No, because you are using that OS and that NIC on that client (which obviously already works) to restore your other client to the hard drive and it will restore the 64-bit NIC driver that was backed up.

You run it on the PC that you connect the hard drive to in order to restore (just like any other app on that client).  All you're doing is connecting another drive to an already working PC, then restoring your backup to that hard drive.

No, I mean make sure you restore your backup to the correct hard drive since there will be 2 hard drives in that client (the one that's always there and the one you just connected to restore to).

Monday, January 4, 2010 3:58 AM
  • Hi and thanks again.

I now completely understand what you are saying and can see how this will work.

I will try this shortly and let you know if all goes well.

In the meantime, thanks for all your help with this issue.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 8:42 AM
  • Monday, January 4, 2010 9:22 AM
  • I think it's a lot easier to use the x-files version of restore disk.  Download here http://xfiles.koryian.net/X-Files/ClientRestore/1.0/ and burn to cd.  It includes more drivers than the MSFT version.  I've used it for a 64-bit Win7 restore, no problems, let us know if it works for you.  The other more complicated solutions are wearing thin in these forums.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 5:55 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for the suggestion - I would like to try this too.

Unfortunately, the link included in your post shows an "account unpaid" problem with the site holder.

Do you have an alternative?

Rgds
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:15 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the suggestion - I would like to try this too.

Unfortunately, the link included in your post shows an "account unpaid" problem with the site holder.

Do you have an alternative?

Rgds
    Frankly, I wouldn't consider using a CD from an unknown source.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:50 AM
  • Drashna released version 1.2 after PP3, so the link changed. Sorry about that, here's the new one http://xfiles.breakinghomeserver.com/2009/11/30/whs-client-restore-v1-2/ .

Don't worry Kariya21, it's not an unknown source, just ask Ken Warren....to quote him "Drashna is a Microsoft MVP for the Windows Home Server product."....here http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/f2e86a3f-18fd-4c24-97f2-6e4531c5e1f5 .

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Drashna released version 1.2 after PP3, so the link changed. Sorry about that, here's the new one http://xfiles.breakinghomeserver.com/2009/11/30/whs-client-restore-v1-2/ .

Don't worry Kariya21, it's not an unknown source, just ask Ken Warren....to quote him "Drashna is a Microsoft MVP for the Windows Home Server product."....here http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/f2e86a3f-18fd-4c24-97f2-6e4531c5e1f5 .

That's not the same as endorsing the xfiles disks, which I don't do.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 11:04 PM