Problem setting up a remote access domain name RRS feed

• Question

• I am using WHS 2011 RC and trying to configure remote access. The router (Linksys WRT54) is configured correctly with the ports open and linked back to the server.  When I try to configure the domain name the wizard logs me into live id and I can select my homeserver.com domain name. The wizard then says it is connecting to the windows domain name service provider but is unable to complete this step. Eventually I get the "an expected or unknown error has occurred - try again later" error message.

I have tried this at different times over a period of days with the same result. I have rebooted the router, server and clients and I'm now considering a reinstall. I may try a static ip on the server first.

I was previously running remote access in the RC on a VM client and that worked ok. I was unable to get a new WHS 2011 RC install on a pc to use that homeserver domain so now I'm trying a new windows live id and homeserver domain - but its still not working.

When I search the forums I see a fair bit of grizzling about these sorts of issues but few solutions. Is this a known issue for the RC and is it fixed in the RTM? Any suggestions that i could try?

Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:14 AM

All replies

• I am using WHS 2011 RC and trying to configure remote access. The router (Linksys WRT54) is configured correctly with the ports open and linked back to the server.

Have you upgraded the firmware on the router? Once I upgraded my Linksys router's firmware, I was able to configure remote access.

Nancy Ward
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 2:33 AM
  • I am having the identical issue with mine, have upgraded the firmware to most recent, still have the issue.  Linksys WRT320N router.
    Saturday, April 9, 2011 5:54 PM
  • When I search the forums I see a fair bit of grizzling about these sorts of issues but few solutions. Is this a known issue for the RC and is it fixed in the RTM? Any suggestions that i could try?

To my knowlegde, no.
    I was able to reconnect RTM to the same domain I used for RC, No problems (Linksys WRT610N).

Keep trying?
    Disable Upnp and use manual port forwarding,
    Configure you routers DHCP for assigned a static IP.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 11:03 AM