Money 2002/Windows 7: MNY file is not saving properly RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded my desktop and installed a clean (not upgrade) copy of Windows 7 pro (64 bit).  Ever since installing Money 2002, I have been having problems.  I have a second hard drive set up for files (no software).  I am sending the back up file there.  When I would enter the data into Money, I would make sure that the backup would work as I exited.  When I came back to the program the next time, I would get a passport splash screen (I have never used passport or any of the internet features) and would select skip to go to the program.  Then I would get the home page not the checking account register.  I have it set to go to the last place used which is always the checking register.

Once I am at the register, it shows data from at least 4 days ago.  Today, I did a ton of manual backups after entering a lot of data (for the 3rd time) and then closed the program.  I came back to it an hour later and none of the data is there and it is back to what it looked like 4 days ago.

I have done searches for the backup files and cannot find them.  The new file search feature in Windows 7 is not user friendly.  I have tried to look in the user folder for it and can't find it.  I have looked in the PF(x86) folder and can't find it.  It isn't on my second hard drive.  I have tried to search the C drive for the back up files and can't find it anywhere.

I don't know what to do next.  I can't keep doing this.  I did a file repair 4 days ago (I'm guessing that is why it keeps defaulting to that point) but I can't keep doing that.

Brenda Sherrod
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:47 PM

All replies

• It is important that your data files (*.mny and *.mbf) not be within the ProgramFiles or Windows folders.  If you attempt to do this, Windows Vista or W7 will direct the file into the Virtual Store. You may be able to see the existing files by executing the following  command into a command window.

dir "%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\Program Files" /s /a

What you want to do is to in Money is  Tools->Options->Backup (that would be Tools->Settings->BackupSettings in the newer versions) is to set the SaveIn location using the Browse button.  Browse to your Documents folder (typically) and choose the root name for your backup files.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 8:12 PM
  • I have been saving the backup on a separate drive but not the original.  For some reason, after each backup, the mbf becomes read only.  That has never happened before.

Also, my computer cannot find %LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\Program Files /s /a, it says it cannot find it.  I have always had the original file saved in the Program Files directory.  I can move it somewhere else, if necessary.

How do I find the backup files that I know are on the machine when it won't let me see them?  They should have my most recent updates and I would rather restore that file than recreate everything I did today.  Yesterday, I was able to seach the C drive and find them.  Today, nothing.  This new version of Windows is really messing with me.

Brenda Sherrod
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:31 PM
  • The command needs to be partly within quotes, without the dir.  Then it will open the directory with Microsoft Money in.

" %LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\Program Files"
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:41 PM
  • I have been saving the backup on a separate drive but not the original.  For some reason, after each backup, the mbf becomes read only.  That has never happened before.

Also, my computer cannot find %LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\Program Files /s /a, it says it cannot find it.  I have always had the original file saved in the Program Files directory.  I can move it somewhere else, if necessary.

How do I find the backup files that I know are on the machine when it won't let me see them?  They should have my most recent updates and I would rather restore that file than recreate everything I did today.  Yesterday, I was able to seach the C drive and find them.  Today, nothing.  This new version of Windows is really messing with me.

The backup becomes read-only, at least on the newer versions. I use the attrib -r command in a command window to make files to be not read-only, but most people use the Properties within Windows Explorer.

Definately move the *.mny file elsewhere, such as within your Documents folder.

dir C:\*.mbf /s

in a command window should find your backup files on your C drive. It will take a while on a large disk. Agent Ransack is a nice search tool too. The Windows search in Vista and Windows 7 is an improved search over the search for some things, but the improvements are sometimes negative for some operations.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:45 PM
  • I have moved the mny file into a directory all of its' own on the C drive.  I have also put the backup file back onto the second hard drive.  I will let you know if this works.

Thank you both for all your help.

Brenda Sherrod
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:54 PM
  • Ok, I now have my Money file in a directory all by itself on the C drive.  The back up is on my L drive (a different physical drive).  After finding the most recent backup, restoring it, and then repairing it I can now enter data.  However the backup file is always making itself read only.  When I exit Money, it will say that it is compressing the data but when that screen goes away, another appears stating "This operation cannot be performed."  I then check on the back up file and, sure enough, it is read only.

Is there any way to keep the backup from becoming read only?  Also, the passport screen will not go away.  And since Passport is no longer available, the web site it tries to access won't show up.  How can I kill this screen?

Thank you so much for your help.

Brenda Sherrod
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 2:37 AM
  • Brenda, removing the Passport now that the servers are gone is not something you can do with a version earlier than 2005. You may want to consider Sunset. It lets you get rid of your Passport/LiveID assuming you know the associated email address and password. If in doubt, do QIF export of all of your accounts now. Some people let a remembered credential get used and forget the info. If you upgrade, you will have to know the credentials to do the conversion. Do not attempt to change you LiveID. It cannot help.

Regarding the read-only attribute, the newer version make the file read-only, yet the Money program can deal with that and write over the old file. I don't remember how Money 2002 handled this, but it did. Money Sunset has various advantages, not the least of these is that it can make multiple backups with the date/time incorportated into the filename. You specify a number of desired backups (default is 4 and max is 99). If you decide to go to Sunset, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919524/en-us has info on the intermediate trial version that you might need.

Now I don't know if somehow something unusual about your external drive might be affecting things.

Friday, March 4, 2011 4:33 AM