Global changes in CRM RRS feed

• Question

•  

We need to make changes to a thousand existing records in CRM 3.0. I know there is a way to make a global change so that we don't have to go into each record but we aren't able to find the information we need to do this. 

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Joanna

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 11:12 PM

Answers

• I don't recall a "global" change option anywhere, but I see you might have two options:

Workflow

I've used this before for bulk updates. Create a manual workflow that will set all of the options you need on your entity. You could even create a note on each record to log what you did too. Bear in mind that not all fields are available, but this method allows you at least set null values and include some logic in the update (i.e. skip the update if fieldA = "X")

Once you've activated your workflow, do an advanced find and apply the workflow rule ("More Actions..." > "Apply Rule") to each results page. If you set your personal options to 250 records per page, you only need to do this 4 times for 1000 records...

Bulk Edit

Not quite so powerful but depends on your aim. Do an advanced find to identify your records as above, then select them all (Ctrl-A) then go to "More Actions..." > "Edit" and you should be able to edit most fields on your form. Bear in mind that you cannot set null values this way, any changes are indiscriminate and even though you are using a form similar to what your users would normally see, no clientside script is invoked when using the bulk edit form. As above, if you set your personal options to 250 records per page, you only need to do this 4 times for 1000 records.

Hope this is some help...

Greg Owens

My Blog: The CRM Grid

Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:10 PM