Issues with WHS install, finding drivers for 2 x 1tb drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have built my own Server and have 160gb ide drive for the install and 2 x 1tb SATA drives for data Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5".

During the first install, at the Load Additional Drive dialog,  the system only saw the 160gb drive.

Since I am using an older Asus board A7N8X-X rev 2, I had to install a Rosewill E SATA 4 port PCI Adaptor  model RC-209-EX to connect the SATA drives as the Asus didn't have native SATA ports

During Load Additional Drive dialog, I didn't know what drivers to use.  The SATA drives didn't come with a disk.  Do I go to Western Digital's website and download an INF file there?.  The dialog takes me to the System32 part of the installation disk that lists many different folders.  Is there a folder here that has the drivers that I need?  I tried Drivers, but it didn't have any INF files that could be recognized.

During the first attempt I also tried to use the software that came with the ESata port, but didn't didn't work.  I continued with the install, and unfortuantely my system simply re-restarted the entire install.  

During the second attempt, the system would not take my product key, but I could move forward through the install.  My bios is seeing the 2 x SATA drives, i see them during the post.

It appears that I am in loop until I get WHS to recognize the drives

Thanks for any assistance.

• Edited by tsandco Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:30 PM deleted a partial sentence
    • Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Friday, October 23, 2009 2:17 PM Installation question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:27 PM

Answers

• What I would do is leave the SATA card and drives out of the system at first and get WHS installed on your 160GB IDE drive. Once WHS is fully installed shut down the server and install the SATA card and install the drivers for the card, I see Rosewill has Windows Server 2003 drivers for this card. Once the drivers for the card are in reboot the server and make sure there are no conflicts in Device manager. Shut down the server again and then connect your SATA hard drives. Once WHS boots this time WHS will see the new drives and then you can add them to your storage pool.  

At this point I would run Windows Update as many times as it takes before it returns no more updates are available. Then I would install the Connector software on the clients as needed and setup your WHS as you want. The reason I would wait on the Connector install is because Power Pack 2 is installed during the update and it has new Connector software with it. This also eliminates any Connector install issues that can come up with Vista x64 if you have any such systems.
    • Proposed as answer by brubberModerator Friday, October 23, 2009 6:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by tsandco Friday, October 23, 2009 2:10 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:03 AM
  • Procedure outlinde by fasthair will work, however if you ever need to do a server reinstall you will need the SATA drivers anyway (drivers for the SATA controller, not the disks) if you set the disk to run in SATA mode. The easiest way to avoid this problem is to set the disks to run in native IDE mode from the SATA controller, at least if this is an option you can set for your SATA controller (Check the manual for your controller).

Alternatively you can provide the SATA drivers during server installation. You will need to do this twice, first during the intial graphical stage of install, then again at the beginning of the text mode install stage. Please note you will need to provide the drivers on a diskette the second time. (Creating and using the diskette should be described in the SATA controller manual). If you manage install this way you are prepared if you even need to do a server reinstall

• Proposed as answer by brubberModerator Friday, October 23, 2009 7:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by tsandco Friday, October 23, 2009 2:11 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:21 AM

All replies

• What I would do is leave the SATA card and drives out of the system at first and get WHS installed on your 160GB IDE drive. Once WHS is fully installed shut down the server and install the SATA card and install the drivers for the card, I see Rosewill has Windows Server 2003 drivers for this card. Once the drivers for the card are in reboot the server and make sure there are no conflicts in Device manager. Shut down the server again and then connect your SATA hard drives. Once WHS boots this time WHS will see the new drives and then you can add them to your storage pool.  

At this point I would run Windows Update as many times as it takes before it returns no more updates are available. Then I would install the Connector software on the clients as needed and setup your WHS as you want. The reason I would wait on the Connector install is because Power Pack 2 is installed during the update and it has new Connector software with it. This also eliminates any Connector install issues that can come up with Vista x64 if you have any such systems.
    • Proposed as answer by brubberModerator Friday, October 23, 2009 6:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by tsandco Friday, October 23, 2009 2:10 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:03 AM
  • Thanks,

I am following these suggestions now, will post back later on the result.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:12 AM
  • Procedure outlinde by fasthair will work, however if you ever need to do a server reinstall you will need the SATA drivers anyway (drivers for the SATA controller, not the disks) if you set the disk to run in SATA mode. The easiest way to avoid this problem is to set the disks to run in native IDE mode from the SATA controller, at least if this is an option you can set for your SATA controller (Check the manual for your controller).

Alternatively you can provide the SATA drivers during server installation. You will need to do this twice, first during the intial graphical stage of install, then again at the beginning of the text mode install stage. Please note you will need to provide the drivers on a diskette the second time. (Creating and using the diskette should be described in the SATA controller manual). If you manage install this way you are prepared if you even need to do a server reinstall

• Proposed as answer by brubberModerator Friday, October 23, 2009 7:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by tsandco Friday, October 23, 2009 2:11 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:21 AM
  • Thanks for the assistance.

Please close this thread, I am up an running
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:11 PM