Can I use Multiple WHS boxes on one network? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to put two WHS systems on my network.  The first to backup the Home Systems and the second to backup my business files, I work out of the home.

Is this easily possible?  I would like to make certain that these can co-exist and that the connector software will allow me to choose the proper server for the proper system.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:26 AM

Answers

• Yes, I have had two on my network. I was active in the beta program and when I got my HP mediasmart server, I had two. The connector software indicated that it had found two home servers and asked me to select one.

Only one of the servers will be accessable from outside of the router. You will need to disable remote access from the other.

I hope this helps.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:28 AM

All replies

• Yes, I have had two on my network. I was active in the beta program and when I got my HP mediasmart server, I had two. The connector software indicated that it had found two home servers and asked me to select one.

Only one of the servers will be accessable from outside of the router. You will need to disable remote access from the other.

I hope this helps.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:28 AM
  • Yes, yes it does.  Thanks

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:39 AM
  •  

I ran two WHS boxes when migrated to newer hardware. Just need to make sure are different names, and will need to rerun the connector software if switching a machine to the 2nd WHS box.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:08 PM
  •  

How do you switch between servers? Do you actually have to remove and reinstall the connector software each time?

Or is there some easy toggle I am missing.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Try reinstalling the connector software. It should then ask which WHS to use. If run into issues the WHS Toolkit is very handy on finding issues.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 7:46 PM
  • From reading other posts, I figured out that if I want to switch servers I can run

Program Files\Windows Home Server\Discovery.exe

and it will ask me which server I want to log into. Just would be easier if it was multi-server aware and I could click on the server or be on both servers. (Next connector software release?)

Thursday, May 8, 2008 7:52 PM