Vista Ultimate Multiple Machines RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 computers I am currently networking together to run a development environment called Labview.  These computers are in 3 different locations and I was instructed that buying one copy of Vista Ultimate would suit these needs, but am then told AFTER I purchase it that I can only install and use it on one machine, and a new license is $320.  I own all of these machines and am using this for home hobbyist stuff, is it possible to install vista ultimate and upgrade to win7 on my 3 machines?
    Friday, September 25, 2009 7:17 PM

Answers

• Hello Zath004,

At the very least from Windows 95 on, Windows has been licensed to consumers on a one license-one device model.  That means that if you have three computers, you need three genuine Windows licenses.

This is covered in the Software Licensing Terms to which you agreed at some point during installation of Windows Vista.  To view the Software Licensing Terms, click Start>Run, type winver, and in the resultant window, click on the Software Licensing Terms link.

Regarding Windows 7, according to the blurb at the bottom of the page in this post http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/07/31/windows-anytime-upgrade-and-family-pack-pricing.aspx Microsoft will be offering Windows 7 for a limited time in a "family 3-pack."  The blog entry does not specifically state these are upgrade licenses, but the associated picture clearly shows "upgrade" on the package.  Please be aware of the fact that Windows 7 will not Upgrade an installation of Vista or XP that is tagged as nongenuine.  Upgrade licenses need an existing valid Windows license already installed on the computer in order to use it as the base license that gets upgraded to Windows 7.  So, in order to legitimately install an upgrade license for Windows 7, each of your computers is going to need a license for XP or Vista installed.  If you look very closely at the Family Pack box picture, the upper left corner of the package seems to say that the family pack is for upgrading Vista to 7.  Does that mean the family pack does not upgrade XP computers?  I don't know.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, September 25, 2009 10:13 PM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 7:59 PM