Re-installing Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,
    I bought this notebook 2 years ago at Japan. It's NEC Lavie LL900/A.
    I have formatted it and tried installing XP on it. Unfortunately, I used my friend's OEM CD made for Dell PCs and hence I cannot activate Windows XP. I am in Canada now. Can I use my Product key attached to my notebook to activate windows using an OS CD sold in retails. Is there any way I can use the same product key to activate Windows XP or do I have to purchase a new OS?
    This is WIndows XP Home EDition.

Thanks,
    Niraj
    Monday, July 30, 2007 3:07 PM

Answers

• You cannot use a Dell reinstallation CD to install and activate Windows on a non-Dell PC.  You should contact your computer manufacturer and request the proper Windows reinstallation CD designed for your specific PC.  Otherwise, you would need to purchase a new "full version" of Windows and perform a "clean install".

Monday, July 30, 2007 3:43 PM
  • Ok that's gonna be pain in the *** because I cannot order it from Japan since I bougth the laptop from there. I think I'm going to buy Win XP pro. Thanks for the reply.
    Monday, July 30, 2007 6:53 PM
  • Niraja,

Hopefully I can provide additional information which may provide an additional avenue for you. Curious do you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker on the bottom of the computer. Each company has specialized discs that work with their systems explicity usually. So as Carey explained this is a why using another companies disc would not work for your system. 

In turn I would recommend for you to order NEC's recovery software for the model. 

Recovery Software CD’s are specific to your computer manufacturer. Please contact your manufacturer for assistance. They should be able to assist with your request and/or questions. Since the telephone number and web sites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.

I have included their contact information here for your convenience: 

http://www.nec-computers.com/support/support_callcenter.asp

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, July 30, 2007 8:32 PM
  • Curious do you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker on the bottom of the computer?
    Yes, I still have that but since this is a Japanese model, if call at Canada; would they still be able to send me that recovery disk?
    Also, is the recovery disk able to install Windows fresh? Or is it just used for Recovery Console purposes?
    Do the manufacturers usually charge us for the disk?
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 4:25 AM
  • Niraj Sunuwar,

Especially in the case of a laptop, using the manufacturer's Recovery CD to do a fresh installation of XP is preferable to any other method.

However, just because you have lost or misplaced the Recovery CDs does not mean you have lost your license to run Windows on the computer and have to buy a new copy.

In a pinch, you are able to use the genuine hologrammed XP CDROM that comes with the systembuilder/OEM license for XP.  (You can borrow this CD from a friend, relative, or perhaps a local computer shop.)  This CDROM's Setup program will accept the Product Key that is printed on your genuine Certificate of Authenticity (assuming of course you are using the CD for the edition of XP--Home, Pro, Media Center, Tablet--that is on the CoA) and will complete the installation of XP.  This installation method will not activate automatically over the internet, however, so after installation you have to follow the Telephonic activation procedure as described in this MS KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 1:34 PM
  •  

Niraj,

The recovery disc should restore the system as if you just purchased the system new. As far as charges are concerned I can't speak for other companies. Please look @ the information I previously posted. You may inquire with them.  Thank you.

Stephen HOlm, MS

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:53 AM

All replies

• You cannot use a Dell reinstallation CD to install and activate Windows on a non-Dell PC.  You should contact your computer manufacturer and request the proper Windows reinstallation CD designed for your specific PC.  Otherwise, you would need to purchase a new "full version" of Windows and perform a "clean install".

Monday, July 30, 2007 3:43 PM
  • Ok that's gonna be pain in the *** because I cannot order it from Japan since I bougth the laptop from there. I think I'm going to buy Win XP pro. Thanks for the reply.
    Monday, July 30, 2007 6:53 PM
  • Niraja,

Hopefully I can provide additional information which may provide an additional avenue for you. Curious do you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker on the bottom of the computer. Each company has specialized discs that work with their systems explicity usually. So as Carey explained this is a why using another companies disc would not work for your system. 

In turn I would recommend for you to order NEC's recovery software for the model. 

Recovery Software CD’s are specific to your computer manufacturer. Please contact your manufacturer for assistance. They should be able to assist with your request and/or questions. Since the telephone number and web sites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.

I have included their contact information here for your convenience: 

http://www.nec-computers.com/support/support_callcenter.asp

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, July 30, 2007 8:32 PM
  • Curious do you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker on the bottom of the computer?
    Yes, I still have that but since this is a Japanese model, if call at Canada; would they still be able to send me that recovery disk?
    Also, is the recovery disk able to install Windows fresh? Or is it just used for Recovery Console purposes?
    Do the manufacturers usually charge us for the disk?
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 4:25 AM
  • Niraj Sunuwar,

Especially in the case of a laptop, using the manufacturer's Recovery CD to do a fresh installation of XP is preferable to any other method.

However, just because you have lost or misplaced the Recovery CDs does not mean you have lost your license to run Windows on the computer and have to buy a new copy.

In a pinch, you are able to use the genuine hologrammed XP CDROM that comes with the systembuilder/OEM license for XP.  (You can borrow this CD from a friend, relative, or perhaps a local computer shop.)  This CDROM's Setup program will accept the Product Key that is printed on your genuine Certificate of Authenticity (assuming of course you are using the CD for the edition of XP--Home, Pro, Media Center, Tablet--that is on the CoA) and will complete the installation of XP.  This installation method will not activate automatically over the internet, however, so after installation you have to follow the Telephonic activation procedure as described in this MS KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 1:34 PM
  •  

Niraj,

The recovery disc should restore the system as if you just purchased the system new. As far as charges are concerned I can't speak for other companies. Please look @ the information I previously posted. You may inquire with them.  Thank you.

Stephen HOlm, MS

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:53 AM