CRM2011 Deploying a developer install on Server2012, SQL 2012 STD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

After successfully deploying our CRM system to a Server 2012 (in HyperV) using a SQL 2012 instance running on another server (WinSvr2008R2) i'm now trying to install a development system (Staging to follow).

I'm trying to mimic the production system as close as possible, so i've selected:

• Windows Server 2012 Standard
    • SQL Server 2012 Standard
    • CRM Server 2011 UR 14

All installed in one Hyper V running on my Windows 8 host.

My first lesson learned (I thought) was that I could not use SQL 2012 Developer edition. However after going back to a clean Server 2012 and then installing the SQL Server 2012 Standard and again installing the CRM Server 2011 (patching the installer as shown in http://www.stevendewaele.be/?p=416) I end up with the same issue.

The deployment manager lists two messages:

• Reporting is not enabled.
    • One or more server roles are missing from this deployment.

But ... that is not true. All server roles are installed, and the SSRS connector is installed, the SSRS runs with Local System (also tried with my domain account) and all components are update to UR14 using Windows Update.

What can I do? Where can I search for more information?

Any hints or suggestions are welcome :) Thank's in advance.

Best regards
    Nicolai W Hjorth
    --
    Please vote as helpful / mark as answer where appropriate ;)

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:20 AM

Answers

• And once again I answer my own issue ;)

For the benefit of the next with this issue, I got it working by keeping the Server 2012 installation to US format instead of choosing Danish. Something is preventing the SSRS connector from installing / updating properly if the Windows display format is changed.

Next issue I found was that the production SQL is enterprise, which means the database uses a feature not available on standard (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2567984 ). So I upgraded the SQL Server edition (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707783.aspx).

Now it looks like I after a week and 5+ reinstalls are able to get it working :)

Lesson learned: Same SQL edition for development environment too. I can't easily do the script trick on the production server because I do not have rights to restore the database.

Br

Nicolai

Best regards
    Nicolai W Hjorth
    --

Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:49 AM

All replies

• And once again I answer my own issue ;)

For the benefit of the next with this issue, I got it working by keeping the Server 2012 installation to US format instead of choosing Danish. Something is preventing the SSRS connector from installing / updating properly if the Windows display format is changed.

Next issue I found was that the production SQL is enterprise, which means the database uses a feature not available on standard (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2567984 ). So I upgraded the SQL Server edition (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707783.aspx).

Now it looks like I after a week and 5+ reinstalls are able to get it working :)

Lesson learned: Same SQL edition for development environment too. I can't easily do the script trick on the production server because I do not have rights to restore the database.

Br

Nicolai

Best regards
    Nicolai W Hjorth
    --

Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:49 AM
  • SQL Server Developer edition has the same feature set as Enterprise Edition.  If you are creating a development environment then you should use the developer edition.  If you use Enterprise Edition you are going to have to purchase a SQL Server Enterprise Edition license.  With SQL Server Developer Edition it is part of your MSDN subscription if you currently have one.
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:02 PM
  • SQL Server Developer edition has the same feature set as Enterprise Edition.  If you are creating a development environment then you should use the developer edition.  If you use Enterprise Edition you are going to have to purchase a SQL Server Enterprise Edition license.  With SQL Server Developer Edition it is part of your MSDN subscription if you currently have one.

Thank's. It's really helpful to get confirmed that I hsould be able to use the DEV edition.

I'll give the developer a go again. As for licenses, the way I understand it I can use the SQL Enterprise edition for test and developement (I have MSDN Premium subscription). Anyway our of sheer principle I would normally prefer the development edition (and prefer to run the SQL Server non-virtualised).

However, I found that the SSRS CRM connector could not be installed on my Windows 8 workstation with the SQL 2012 Developer installed - it requires a server OS?

Best regards
    Nicolai W Hjorth
    --

Friday, August 23, 2013 11:16 AM