Turn off Automatic Update RRS feed

• General discussion

• Is there a way to turn off OneCare automatic updates? 

Like many users, I was caught off guard by the automatic update to v2.0.  Not only did it slow down my PC during a critical work time, it also forced me to reboot.  Even though it said it would reboot in a few hours, OneCare also displayed a message saying that my computer was no longer protected from viruses until I rebooted.  I was very busy doing other work on my PC at the time, but the warning seemed ominous enough that I closed down all my work and rebooted.  Unfortunately, when my PC came up again it could no longer reach the other PCs on my home network, which was necessary for my work.  After researching on the forums, I discovered that my other PCs were also being locked out by the OneCare update.  Once I finished the update on my other PCs and rebooted all the systems again, everything was back to normal.  But by then I had already lost two hours during a very critical work time, forcing me to stay up very late to finish my work, and making me very unhappy with OneCare.

Microsoft should have learned this lesson years ago:

Do not perform updates on a user's PC without permission!

Thursday, December 6, 2007 5:16 PM

All replies

• Thank you for your comments. I agree with you completely, by the way.

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 1:43 AM
  • It would be nice if changing the automatic update settings didn't automatically send OneCare into 'At Risk' status.  It just trains me to ignore the warnings from OneCare.  If MS could guarantee (HAH) that updates wouldn't kill my drivers then maybe I would consider blindly installing them.  But as it stands, I need to read at least the titles of what updates Windows Update thinks I need before letting them go through.  And that somehow makes me 'At Risk.'  Very silly.

Also, using an online backup should count....

Saturday, December 8, 2007 4:41 PM
  • I didn't see where your question was answered; I guess auto update is an auto setting but if so, I'm running 1.6xx - it seems that would make me a little behind on updates if it is up to 2.0 ... ??? Am i missing something here?
    Sunday, December 9, 2007 11:07 PM
  •  jjssparkle wrote:
    I didn't see where your question was answered; I guess auto update is an auto setting but if so, I'm running 1.6xx - it seems that would make me a little behind on updates if it is up to 2.0 ... ??? Am i missing something here?

The original post was a comment, and not a question, so it won't show as answered or unanswered.

2.0 is being staged slowly to all users over time, so sit tight.

-steve

Monday, December 10, 2007 5:14 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

jjssparkle wrote:
    I didn't see where your question was answered; I guess auto update is an auto setting but if so, I'm running 1.6xx - it seems that would make me a little behind on updates if it is up to 2.0 ... ??? Am i missing something here?

The original post was a comment, and not a question, so it won't show as answered or unanswered.

2.0 is being staged slowly to all users over time, so sit tight.

-steve

The original post was a question.

The question, which i would also very much like to know the answer to, was...

"Is there a way to turn off OneCare automatic updates?"

Every time i download a file on msn, i have to wait about 2 minutes for OneCare to do its update before it allows me access to the file.

Monday, December 17, 2007 9:39 PM
  •  nizmo wrote:

The original post was a question.

The question, which i would also very much like to know the answer to, was...

"Is there a way to turn off OneCare automatic updates?"

Every time i download a file on msn, i have to wait about 2 minutes for OneCare to do its update before it allows me access to the file.

When you start a new thread, it can be posted as a comment or a question. My reference was to the fact that the post was made with a setting of "comment."

No, you cannot turn off OneCare automatic updates. What you are describing is not automatic updates, though, you are reporting that when downloading a file, you are unable to access the file for 2 minutes. What is preventing you from accessing the file? It may be taking a while to save from your Internet cache to your download location and also being scanned for viruses as it is saved. When you say you are downloading a file "on msn," what do you mean by this?

-steve

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 2:18 AM
  • Ah, i understand.

Okay, this is what im referring to...

In the windows live messenger options dialog, under file transfer, you have the option to use 'Windows Live OneCare safety scanner'. I have chosen this option.

When a contact sends me a file through an msn chat window, once the file has finished downloading i must wait for several minutes while onecare does some sort of internet update. Once this update is completed, i am then allowed to access the file that i have received.

My problem is, i dont want to wait several minutes on top of the file download time...

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 2:24 AM
  • And now *I* understand!

The Safety Scanner is actually related to OneCare, but this forum is for the discussion of the full installed product - http://onecare.live.com

What you are seeing is the Safety Scanner updating its database to scan the downloaded file with the latest signatures. You have two choices that I can think of (other than accept the delay):

1. Visit the online Safety Scanner and perform a full service scan regularly to update the local control - http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm - I think every few days would suffice, though you may still encounter the update issue.

2. Uncheck the option to use the Safety Scanner and use your main virus scanning software to scan the file.

For reference, the forum for the Safety Scanner is here - http://boards.live.com/safetyboards/board.aspx?BoardID=225

-steve

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 2:33 AM