FAQ and x64 connector RRS feed

• Question

• I've been really excited about WHS and it's potential.  Sadly, I was perhaps a little too eager about being able to help test things and I didn't realize that it doesn't support x64 clients yet.  (Sadly, I only have x64 Vista business computers and Mac OS X computers at home right now - aside from a work laptop I really shouldn't have loaded the connector on Wink ).

I understand that there will be a x64 connector and there are ways to get the current connector working without full functionality.  However, could someone official please add some info regarding this to the faq?  I believe that it would help dispel some of the confusion out there regarding it's eventual release.

Monday, June 18, 2007 10:12 PM

Answers

• An x64 version of the Windows Home Server Connector is under development.  No confirmed date has been announced, we will post information in the forums and on the blog when it is available for testing.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:30 PM

All replies

• An x64 version of the Windows Home Server Connector is under development.  No confirmed date has been announced, we will post information in the forums and on the blog when it is available for testing.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:30 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Don't worry, I understood that it was being worked on.  I was actually asking for an update in the faq section to cut down on questions posted here.  Smile
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:41 PM
  • I'm in the same boat as you are regarding x64 support.  I have 1 pc that runs a x86 version of windows, and 5 that run x64 flavors of Vista.  I'm hoping for x64 support soon, that would be ideal.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 2:35 PM
  • I only run x64 machines at home running Windows Vista Ultimate, and like usual I feel like the unlike step child because an x64 version is an after though.. I really very disappointed. An x64 connector should be a priority from day 1.. Also things like interface improvements (I can think of nearly 80 things off the top of my head that should get improved).

I just came into the beta and I am a blogger, and I am very tempted to write something VERY SCATHING about this product for a number of reasons...

1) The beta process here doesn't seem to allow for comments about the product or it's functionality. A "RC" quality product is supposed to be almost ready for primetime. This product obviously is not, I have numerous feature requests and disappointment in how the product seems to work and I have no where to voice them.. I have been involved in previous testing of Windows 2003 server and Windows Vista. The bug reporting really isn't a good thing, there is no tracking of comments, improvements, and suggestions. I think you should be looking to how that previous connect folks used bug reporting and comments.

I looked at this and said to myself this is not the way Microsoft should be testing and working on such an important product. I am looking in dismay saying "this CAN'T BE an RC product".  I would like to talk to the server team directly and make a FULL report..

I have one 32-bit machine OS machine I am going to attempt to connect. You guys need to be RETHINKING this whole product. I know it's a 1.0 product but it's missing somethings that I think it really needs to be successful.

The whole REPORTING client for problems for this release needs to be OVERHAULED and rethought..

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:49 PM